overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2884   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

djmadbrad (4) - Anoka, Minnesota, USA - JUL 7, 2008 does not count
This is my first sour - so how do I rate it? I have nothing really to compare it to...that being said, I have a pretty good idea of what’s going on here. First thought was fresh apple cider, which turned into basalmic vinegar. Prune juicy. Raisins. Sweeter than I expected - my wife thought this very drinkable and reminded her of champagne and tea (Kombucha). Maybe re-visit this one when I have a better grasp of sours.

CapedBrewsader (265) - Brasschaat, BELGIUM - JUL 7, 2008
25 cl bottle at home: crisp dark cherry brown with a decent creamy tall tan head. Immediate notes of cherry syrup. Some dark crystal malt notes under the syrup. A tree-bark character floating around. Not quite wood. A faint lactic twang. The syrup is turning sickeningly sweet and artificial. In the mouth you are first hit with that syrup again. Definitely not a natural tasting sweetness. Cherry and a bit of muddled malt character come up under the sugar just before a decent lactic character rolls in. This however turns bad when the sweetness rolls back in. "Old coin" metallic character at end with some cold tea. A bit thick on the tongue. Perhaps a bit high on the CO2 as well. It drives something astringent into the back of your nose. I remember this as being much better last time I had in several years back. Hmm... has it changed or have I wised up?

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JUL 5, 2008
Draft at Falling Rock Tap House in Denver. Pours a dark, slightly reddish brown with a small tan head. Aroma of ripe, sour fruits. Flavor is rich and coating, with plum, fig and other darks fruits abounding. More sourness is there, with little in the way of hops. Finishes tart and sweet. Excellent!

BeerGestapo (754) - Mt.Joy, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 4, 2008
(BELGIUM) Courtesy of AFI96, Thanks Waylo !! Pours a nice dark amber color with a sm tan head. Wow, there are alot of different aroma’s here, cherry, dark fruits, toffee, and some vinegar. The taste has a very interesting blend of fruits, cherries, plums, raisins. The mouthfeel is tart and dry. I was not sure about this one at first, but now i really like it.

Embrouille (2854) - SWITZERLAND - JUL 4, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2009 Bottled 25cl. It pours a ruby beer. the nose is of vinegar with notes of wood. The taste is mainly of vinegar. Plenty of character. Woody. sour with hints of glue. Decent lacing. A strong punch before the finish which is woody and acidic. Both nose and taste remind me of jarred pickles.

jetboy (32) - USA - JUL 3, 2008
Ugh. It had a great smell if I was putting it on my salad, as a beer. Nyet.

afireinside96 (923) - Mountville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Bottle shared with BeerGestapo. Pours dark reddish brown with a thin beige head. Smells of sour cherries, vinegar, some candi sugar. Taste begins with a shock of sour, turning sweet, and back to sour. Notes of cherry, apple, and red grapes make appearances in subtle ways. Mouthfeel is delightful, spritzy & dry, very refreshing. The only real problem I have with this beer is that the taste may not be quite intense enough. I would like to try this one again.

PilsnerPeter (3050) - Flushing, New York, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Bottle: Expires 12/09. I can assume this was a few years old. Pours a ruby brown rusty color with good clarity and a wispy tan head. Fruity/sweet aroma. Notes of dried cranberries, green raisins, toffee, and evident musty oxidation. Interesting. Creamy fluffy body. Flavor shows some signs of oxidation, papery and sweet. Notes of cranberries and candied sugar. Fruity with notes of green raisins, plum and just a touch of vinous quality. There’s some later toasted nuances of driedn bread crust. Pretty unique and interesting. A bit sweet, with less tartness/funkiness than I would’ve liked. I want to try it fresh.

benwa420 (49) - East Hampton, New York, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Not My style at all. Has a little to much sweetness and sour notes. just not doing it for me.

CH-303 (2362) - Fribourg, SWITZERLAND - JUL 1, 2008
UPDATED: APR 21, 2014 Appearance: Dark redish brown. Nice amount of head. Aroma: Dark fruit. Sour/tart. Chocolate. Taste: Sweet fruit, though still sour. Quenching Info: 250ml bottle, 31/3-2007, 165/500, 14/300M