overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2857   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUN 13, 2003
It's been so long since I've had one of these Flemish ales. Delicious red wine qualities with snappy sourness and perfect effervescence. Tartness strangely hits me in the back of the throat, which is fun at the beginning, but gets rather irritating as I drink.

EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Enjoyable sour ale that was more balanced than the previous sours tried. Brown in color with hints of cherries and dry spice to complement the tartness. A nice lasting head that left lace throughout the glass after sipping for a long while. A nice beer.

guzzler67 (1696) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Color of a hazy Beaujolais. Cherries and apples in the aroma. Grapes, raisins and cherries add to the tart and sour taste. Complex style that the ordinary palate needs to adjust to in order to appreciate.

HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 7, 2003
(Best by 4/May/04) The beer poured effortlessly out of the bottle and produced a magnificent head. The nose is bursting with cherry, iron, and spice. The palate is medium in body with a pleasant dryness that is coupled with a Champagne sparkle. The beer is enormously fruity and refreshing. As for the finish, it is lingering and quite tart. I really like this style of beer, refreshing and perilously drinkable.

JPDIPSO (6257) - Wauwatosa, USA - JUN 2, 2003
Brown color with a tinge of orange. Fluffy beige foam. A wine vinegar aroma with some oak and light fruitiness in the background. Malt sweetness and tart cherries heavy in the flavors. Hints of metal distract. Light and refreashing. As it warms additional malt flavors emerge. I think I need a large sample.

jgb9348 (6388) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Well, this will be the first flemish review for me, so here goes. I bought this because of a review of two sales people at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, New York. The pour is very nice, a dark brown/burgundy colour with a 95% opacity. A small slightly tan head is on the top with some large bubbles. The aroma is almost completely vinegar smelling. Vinegar types of champagne, zinfandel and even a slight balsamic smell. Imagine a combination of those three vinegars and you might begin to imagine the smell of the beer. The taste was very unexpected...almost soda like. I am a person who loves sour foods, so this was right up my alley. Very bright sour beginning of sweetened/soured fruit and some vinegar. A medium bodied beer which goes down very nice without the slightest hint of alcohol. The only real reason to dock this beer points is the palate factor. After the inital sour taste, there is very little else, except drying. But overall a great beer, and I can't wait to try another Flemish to see where this one ranks!

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Still trying to get my cheaks to stop puckering after this one. The flavor was like sour grapes with vinegar notes. The aroma was sour and vinegary with a slightly sweet fruity background. the burgundy body is topped by a medium thick off-white head with a good amount of lace. Full bodied, dry and slightly warming.

WestsideThreat (13) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 10, 2003
Very cool beer. Very sour and very sweet. Different than most Belgian sours. The carbonation is TERRIBLE though, the overall impresion would have been higher if it was spot on. There is no head and very fizzing. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Very fun beer regardless. I'm looking forward to it warming up, to see what subtleties are unearthed

Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAY 10, 2003
Bottled. Crimson, deep mahogany with a light lacy head. Sour, sour and more sour. Twist of something else, not sure what. A new experience but not my style.

Dogbrick (13389) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Thanks to Darkover for the trade. I am still a little new to Flemish Sour Ales, Rodenbach Alexander being the only other one I have tried so far. From what I understand both are good examples of the style. That being the case I am fairly certain this is not a style I am a big fan of. Pours a dark amber/brown with a thick multi-colored head (beige with light brown splotches), with thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly fruity and sour. The flavor actually reminded me of some Ohio Buckeye Brown that I tried not too long ago that had gone way past the "best by" date. Tart and vinegary flavor is tangy throughout. The finish is like an oaky Merlot. I was able to drink most of this in small doses, but I just can't appreciate the style.