overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2940   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

footy (345) - scottsdale, Arizona, USA - NOV 27, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2006 Bottled 330 ml. Reddish brown color. Sour Acetic acid aroma. Full bodied with sweet sour taste. So much more balanced than Zoetzuur or Le woody. An excellent beer.

mgoy (344) - New York, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2008
Like the other sour ales I have tried, Duchesse de Bourgogne would be better served on a salad than in a glass. That said, this was a very smooth ale. While I do not enjoy sour ales, this one is drinkable.

GuillaumeCL (344) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 24, 2013
Pours a nearly opaque red/brown with a decent amount of tan head that dissipates slowly. Smell is... strange, kind of like worcestershire sauce with the sound tang and the slight sweetness. Palate is medium bodied with good carbonation. Taste is sweet and sour at first that gradually builds to a sour climax before leaving a strange bitter and sour aftertaste in the back of my throat. I’m not really a fan of this, though it might just be the style.

Burgers (344) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUN 3, 2014
Pours darkish red to brown. The nose is balsamic vinegar and sour cherries. Taste predominantly sour, little bitter, some sweetness. Texture quite thin, soft carbonation. Finish quite astringent. Very good.

Beardbeerman (341) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 28, 2014
Very happy to try this one out (finally)! The robe is clear pouring a warm brown shade with very deep ruby highlights topped with a creamy beige head. The nose is smoky and spicy and also has a very nice sweetness with grapes and even a little floral side. To be honest, I’m not a great fan of very sweet beers (usually) with a certain smokiness, but this one has just the right amount of sweetness from the fruits like cherries and grapes and enough hops to balance it out and be very pleasant on the tongue. Excellent served between 8 and 12 degrees.

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Perfumey, sweet, pleasant aroma. Color is a clear dark red-brown. Taste is sour and sweet. The sourness is of the stinky cheese variety. I feel like I’m drinking bacteria. The sweetness ruins it a bit. The sweetess is really simple; like sugar water. It’s almost like putting sweet n’ low in iced tea.

eruizgarcia (340) - - JAN 9, 2015
Very bright plum and cherry, tart, medium palate, lots of lacing and slightly syrupy but not too thick. Pretty good. Menu description says 6% ABV, I find it hard to believe, feels more intense. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAY 11, 2004
I’m rating this with ample leeway to the fact that I just can’t learn to appreciate this style nor do I understand what a good Flemish Sour is. It should have a nice balance between sweet and sour flavors. I tasted both, but there is certainly no balance. Balsamic vinegar flavor dominates, brown sugar super-sweetness comes in second then there is a salty aftertaste. Try as I did to enjoy, to look somewhere for some inkling of pleasure, I found only shrieking taste buds and cringing lips. It tasted as though it were made with stagnet, metallic drinking fountain water. While I admire anyone that can enjoy this beverage, as far as I’m concerned the Duchesse wears no clothes (actually, she is kinda hot).

Beergaard (338) - Aarhus, DENMARK - APR 25, 2017
Lovely Flemish sour ale. Sweeter than the average Flemish red/brown but still with a pungent kick of tart cherries and some herbal sensation.

koopa (338) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 23, 2010
Appearance - A bit murky for the style. lots of brown puddles with amber waves flowing throughout. good two finger head with nice lacing. Smell - Musty, Earthy, some vinegar funk, with a touch of candy. Taste - Its a very subtle oud bruin by comparison to others. If your in the mood for subdued pucker then this is a good selection. Mouthfeel - Good amount of carbonation helped this one from being mediocre in the mouthfeel department. With the brew being such a murky mix itself, the carbonation really saves it. Drinkability - Easy drinking for the style but not the easiest style for all to drink. Its my favorite style so I’m a bit biased. I’ll give it a 4.0 to be fair. The 750ml only set me back about $8.00 in a local store so its a good oud bruin at a fair price. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 09-06-2008