overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2917   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

Marthinus (276) - DENMARK - MAR 21, 2010
Pours darky red/close to black with a large white¨but not lasting head. The aroma is of red wine a litlle plum. Taste is oak, plum, with a good complex aftertaste.

Juggernaut84 (276) - Berlin, Berlin, GERMANY - FEB 18, 2017
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2017 Optik: tiefes Rot und feiner Schaum, nichts zu beanstanden und sehr appetitlicher Anblick. Nase: reife Säure und trockene Früchte, wenn man schwenkt kommt eine stark ätzende Klebstoffnote die in Apfelessig endet. Für mich ein zu krasses Off-Flavor auch für Sauer. Mund: samtig weiches Mundgefühl adstringierende Balsamico-Säure die zusammen mit der leichten Carbonisation schön prickelt. Der Abgang ist trocken und anhaltend. wäre die Nase nicht so mies würde ich es mögen.

Lawger (275) - SWEDEN - SEP 10, 2016
BBF-date 17-02-2018. Pours a clear dark chestnut brown with small and quickly dissolving off-white head. Loads of oriental spices, some figs, herbs and frangrance on the nose. The palate is enticing. Medium bodied and alot less acidic than I expected, with a nice balancing sweetness. Finisheslong with a sort of ice tea-like quality, but fizzy. Extremely tasty. I need to buy a case of this stuff. This beer should appeal to both newbies and experts alike as it´s not as difficult to appreciate as some other examples, yet is at least as complex and interesting as all others I´ve tasted. One of the best beers I´ve had this year.

godofsky (274) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 20, 2010
bottle from SAQ. into tulip glass, pours a clear dark red, almost brown. nice thick creamy off white head. lots going on in the aroma. incredible. lots of fruit; raisin, plum, apricot, cherry. almost like a red wine. the taste is mostly sour, but a little sweet at the same time. finish is dry, and leaves a taste of oak barrel in the mouth. the flavours really combine well in this beer. very complex and delicious.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 7, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 Tap at Dilly Delli in Cincinnati. I have recently updated my rating on the Duchesse. I found the first sample to be off-putting but I have since acquired a taste for this odd brew. A very cindery, vinegar flavor which you might think is bad but quite the contrary. After a few sips you’ll be coming back. Give this a try - twice.

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - JUL 17, 2007
Aroma not terribly strong, of woody vinegar and cherries. Pours dark brown with a small lasting head. Hits sweet, then tart and cherry, then has a bitter and dry finish. Pretty good overall, but not as out there as I like in my FS.

omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 6, 2003
Boston Beer Summit 2003: Shiney, deep brown color, almost a little disturbing. :) Pungently sweet and fruity aroma. The flavor was awesomely sour and fruity and malty. I was really surprised. Finishes quickly, leaves the mouth going "Ooooh!" A friend compared it to sweet wine vinegar, and I could see where the comparisons could be made, but this it definately not something to be used on a salad.

MartyW (270) - DENMARK - APR 20, 2016
Red/brown with a good beige head. Instant smell of crispy wine, apples, fruits and sourness. Very sour flavour, vinous, dry end with a light bitterness. Hides the ABV completely. One of the better sour ales.

jikvig (269) - NORWAY - OCT 14, 2010
Very hard to rate, because this is not my cup of tea. But I did my best; A tall, WILD foam on top of a dark dark red beer. Not unlike a gueze with a acidic fruitynes with some licorice. It smells like they hangover, only in a good. way. On the palate it´s high acid but a really nice body and structure with some sweetness in the end. It follows the aromas in flavour, but it got more of an sweet licorice taste going on.

cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2006
I did not really care for this beer, but had to rate it in a way that was fair. It has a lot of taste and aroma. Very strong on both categories, so rating it lower do to the fact that I would probably not drink it again would not be a good way to have consistent ratings. Anyways, smells and tastes almost exactly like malt vinegar. The first thing I thought when I had this beer at the local pub was that it would go great with fish and chips. Very acidic. Ok, so, well, I lied... I would drink it again. I know, it’s strange, I liked it, in a weird sort of way... Something about it, maybe the mystery of it has me wanting more.