overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2800   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ska (228) - ITALY - NOV 30, 2009
33cl bottle, dark amber/brown color, small tan head, the apple and wood aroma with fruity notes (raisins, cherries) and the sweet/sour flavor makes it similar to ours aceto balsamico (balsamic vinegar), medium body, dry finish with "roasted" apple aftertaste. Its the first sour ale that I taste so I dont know this style, in Italy we say "I rate it by nose" (means "by istinct")

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cthomas2390 (228) - Colorado, USA - FEB 8, 2013
Still breaking into the sour beers, but this one was a gem. Pours a nice ruby brown with little head. Aroma has definite funk and horse blanket characteristics, while the taste is one of a mild tartness reminiscent of sour cherries. A nice sour finish that sticks around for a bit and tempts you into another sip. Quality.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dmradus (227) - Ithaca, New York, USA - APR 23, 2007
UPDATED: APR 24, 2007 Bottle at Delirium Cafe, Brussels. Beautiful dark red bordering on brown with ruby highlights in the little amount of light that finds its way down to the Delirium basement. Aroma is strongly sour cherries, with oak components running alongside. One of those funky scents that really gets up into the nostrils and tickles them wonderfully. Taste is subdued sourness, with some lactic acid component, and vinegar. Berries and cherries are also present, as well as a strong oak character. Drying and sour finish which is rasping on the tongue. Strong carbonation fades to creaminess and then sneaks back in the swallow. Nice, probably doesnt match Rodenbach Grand Cru though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - APR 18, 2004
My first ever experience with the style known as a Flemish Sour Ale and I'm incredibly impressed. A dark, rich burgundy color. A very layered, complex taste. Definitely can taste the "sourness" but also black cherries, dried apricots and a strong, STRONG presence of Balsamic Vinegar. Must be drunk slowly and carefully to be fully appreciated!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RD400F (226) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 12, 2011
Aroma: Quite vinous, grapes and citrusy, sour, fruity....hints of fruitcake, figs, vinegar, and baked goods. Very aromatic...interesting malt character and if I didnt know, I wouldve assumed this was a wine! Fantastic! Appearance: Clear red color, smallish off white head. Taste: Imagine combining a wine, a lambic and a beer. How the hell did they do this with the ABV? Its amazingly complex. Its sour, it has an amazing fruity sweetness to balance it all off, and the finish is fruitcake and delicious chocolate. Holy shit! Palate: Fizzy, quirky, complex and perfectly balanced. Overall: I stopped by Brewery Creek and had a nice chat with an employee about beer. This was recommended to me and I have to say this is one of the best recommendations ever. This beer is nothing short of amazing and I wish I bought another.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bradlyc77 (226) - Sebastopol, California, USA - MAR 22, 2009
On tap. Deep ruby brown, aroma is acidic and malty. Tart taste with some cherries, brown sugar, some raisin, and woodiness. Not a huge fan.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixinnixon2000 (226) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2009
Bottle. pours dark red color with small off-white head. great sour/tart flavors from various fruits. what you expect from a sour ale.
Earlier Rating: 5/1/2008 Total Score: 3
bottle. pours dark brown with thick brown head. very interesting taste. my first sour ale. I didnt know it was retired.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jerd16 (226) - Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - MAR 27, 2014
Dark ruby pour with 1 finger off-white head. Dark fruit, belgian yeast, some oak on nose. Qualities combine to create a bouquet reminiscent of a red wine. Very light beer despite decent carbonation. Very sweet at first, before sour cherry sweets overwhelm. Not grindingly sour as some can be. It achieves a leaning balance. Dark fruits. Fairly dry on finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Wow! This beer was definitely the beer of the night! So much thanks to BA, YBSober for this beer was phenomenal! This was my first Flanders Red Ale and I am going to make it a point to seek out much more of this! I thought I was in heaven. I know I am in love with the Duchesse (dont tell me wife;-). Appearance: This Duchesse poured out a beautiful dark caramel color with some golden tan highlights on her elegant body, and then fantastic head made of tight off-white foam. This leads into the sticky circles of off-white lacing, left lining the glass. Smell: The aroma is quite vinous, with a wine grapes aroma, a nice tartness, (those not in the know might think her a port wine) and yet an underlying caramel sweetness. It is spiced and complex; very much like the Holiday Spiced Wine from Mount Hope Winery (with what might be cinnamon and a splash of lemon in the aroma as well). Taste: The taste, like the smell was very complex and pleasing! The front of the palate is mildly tart dry grapes and then there is a nice layer of brown sugar and caramel that sweetens up the palate. Layer upon layer I realized more and more tremendous depth as the fruits began to reveal themselves; first apples and plums, cherries, a prune and then mixed berries. All the while, I couldnt help but to think, this beer must be oak aged because the magnificent flavor of oak, and a subtle hint of leather, kept swatting at my taste buds. This beer has an incredible depth of character and flavor. Her finish is sour (not too much) just the prefect degree (tipping the scales to tart). That tartness carries into the aftertaste as well, balanced with the loving touch of gentle sweet fruits, leaving you with wonderful memories of how she treated your tongue. I could hardly keep my tongue in my mouth. I had to dive in for more. Shes irresistible! Mouthfeel: Tight little bubbles of carbonation treat your mouth just right. 36-24-36 this sweet lady has a perfect medium body with just enough dryness to force you to pucker up, and enough lingering sweetness that you enjoy it. Drinkability: I want her all to myself all the time. $65 a case and I would pay it too. Are all Flanders like this? I may be in trouble. Now that I have gone Flanders I may never go back! Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2007
Im not very familar with this style since Ive ever had one of these on draft. However, I certainly will try as many of this style after having this one. This was really a spectacular beer. I cant say I wouldve appreciated this several years ago. Very sour aroma - duh! A little bit of vinegar, cherry, raspberry, and oak. Kind of hard to describe as the sour is so predominant. Taste is really huge. Incredible levels of tartness. Nice frothy head and a light ruby color. Great mouthfeel - very lively. I cant wait to pop open one of these at the next neighborhood party and offer this to someone.