overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2859   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

JamesD (244) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2007
This beer is fairly odd. I was expecting something more sour than this, but it is still good. In appearance it is like looking through a burgundy prism. The aroma is higly sour and smells somewhat of red wine and cranberries. The flavor is more subdued. It is tart, crisp, combined with maltiness and a little bit of raisin flavor. It reminds me of a Spanish manzanilla sherry I once drank in terms of fruitiness. Specifically there are hints of raisin, raspberry, some green apple. At first I was disappointed because I was expecting something very sour, but the more I sip it, the more I appreciate it’s mellow blend of sourness, maltiness, and earthy fruit. Seek this out and buy a bottle!

Geuzelambix (243) - København, DENMARK - JUL 16, 2008
A strange beer with an acidic touch - almost like vinegar. On the other hand it’s rather sweet as well, and goes along fine with some kind of desert - or simply AS a desert. I didn’t like it the first time around, but now I admit it’s quite nice.

JanVittrup (243) - København V, DENMARK - OCT 24, 2009
Clear chestnut amber, great white foam. Aroma sour & sweet. Fantastic heavy sweet and sour flavor, too much for a long drink. Dessert wine style. Thick body, prickly / sour. Lovely beer. No reason to buy a large bottle. Purchased in Ølbutikken

theyshookhands (243) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - OCT 23, 2011
Pours a clear dark amber with a nice tan head. Aroma is of fruits, cranberry, apple and oak. Lots of citrus and fruits in the flavor, some cranberry and sweet malts.

gottalottaibu (243) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 4, 2007
dark brown/ruby nice head. sweet fruit with a hint of sour akin to a red wine maybe. rich malt with a nice rounded mouthfeel. finish brings out the sourness just enough to let you know its there. even shows signs of a light cherry soda on occassion. like a cheerwine minus the sweetness for you southerners. lovely and easy drinking. one of my favorites.

Luk_ (243) - Quebec, CANADA - APR 29, 2014
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2014 It took me so much time to truly appreciate this beer, so I understand the haters here. Appearance is magnificient. Brown pour with red highlights and a lasting thick creamy offwhite head. One of the most beautiful lacing there is. Once it’s over, my glass is completely coated with lacing. Aroma: This is certainly not unanimous as there is a lot of balsamic vinegar which can be offputting but I like it. There is a decent amount of musty wood, red wine, some burnt brown sugar. I also get some subtle notes of nuts and chocolate. Taste: Probably the perfect balance between tart and sweet. To be more specific, some cherries and plums, lots of wood, maple syrup. Mouthfeel: Light yet holds everything together. It is certainly not sticky considering the sweetness, nor as dry as a sour which gives this beer the opportunity to express its sweet and sour profile. Low carbonation but not much is needed here. Overall: A very unique, harmonious and elegant beer that has no evident flaws. My favourite go to beer with Orval.

madnorwegian (243) - FRANCE - AUG 25, 2017
Very yummy. Great balance between acidity, sweetness and bitterness. Stewed cherries, and strawberries, candied apples. Great stuff

abstractbeer (242) - NORWAY - DEC 27, 2011
330 ml bottle. Poured into a tulip shaped glass. Brown color, extremely clear, thick off-white head. Tiny bubbles are racing up the edges of the glass, settling into a beehive-like pattern. Sour aroma of green apples, red berries and oak, some vinegar-y notes. The sourness (in the aroma) seems to be quite massive, but I’m still a newb when it comes to sour ales, so I might be wrong. Time to take a sip! Full body, lively but pleasant carbonation. Definitely not massively sour. Actually, the finish is surprisingly sweet! Flavor is oak/wood, artificial cherry candy flavored medicine (!) (I can’t describe it any other way... ), and some green apples, a hint of raisins. There’s a also a strangely metallic flavor here, not sure where that comes from. Overall: Complex, sweet, but with a (not overwhelming) sourness to back it up. Nice!

Xstream (242) - NETHERLANDS - JUL 8, 2013
I’m not an expert in this beer genre but this is the first old brown beer I really enjoy. It has a very interesting balance of malts, rye, caramel, dark fruits and a wine like sour finish. Good balance of sweet and sour. Very refreshing beer with flavors that keep popping and changing.

1.2
UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - JUN 27, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2005 Wow. I just tried a new kind of beer, a so called Flemish Sour Ale, and think its absolutely disgusting. I hated this so much that I’m not sure I’ll even risk more hard-earned cash on a higher rated brand of this sour puss. Smelled of cooking wine with a dark brownish color with tints of red. Tasted of moldy wine and apple vinegar. Couldn’t even finish it. On a positive note, I am imagining this ale being a great ingredient in an improvised North Carolina bbq sauce. Ironically, like another recent review, my mom actually liked it.