overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2942   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - APR 18, 2004
My first ever experience with the style known as a Flemish Sour Ale and I'm incredibly impressed. A dark, rich burgundy color. A very layered, complex taste. Definitely can taste the "sourness" but also black cherries, dried apricots and a strong, STRONG presence of Balsamic Vinegar. Must be drunk slowly and carefully to be fully appreciated!

mixinnixon2000 (226) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2009
Bottle. pours dark red color with small off-white head. great sour/tart flavors from various fruits. what you expect from a sour ale.
Earlier Rating: 5/1/2008 Total Score: 3
bottle. pours dark brown with thick brown head. very interesting taste. my first sour ale. I didn’t know it was retired.

RD400F (226) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 12, 2011
Aroma: Quite vinous, grapes and citrusy, sour, fruity....hints of fruitcake, figs, vinegar, and baked goods. Very aromatic...interesting malt character and if I didn’t know, I would’ve assumed this was a wine! Fantastic! Appearance: Clear red color, smallish off white head. Taste: Imagine combining a wine, a lambic and a beer. How the hell did they do this with the ABV? It’s amazingly complex. It’s sour, it has an amazing fruity sweetness to balance it all off, and the finish is fruitcake and delicious chocolate. Holy shit! Palate: Fizzy, quirky, complex and perfectly balanced. Overall: I stopped by Brewery Creek and had a nice chat with an employee about beer. This was recommended to me and I have to say this is one of the best recommendations ever. This beer is nothing short of amazing and I wish I bought another.

o_Merlin_o (225) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 2, 2014
On tap at Slaters 50/50. Pours a chestnut brown with off-white head. Excellent lacing. Strangest aroma I've ever had in a beer - vinegar. I love vinegar! Excellent palate. Awesome blend of sweetness, sour, and vinegar. This is a strange beer, but I love it! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Wow! This beer was definitely the beer of the night! So much thanks to BA, ’YBSober’ for this beer was phenomenal! This was my first Flanders Red Ale and I am going to make it a point to seek out much more of this! I thought I was in heaven. I know I am in love with the Duchesse (don’t tell me wife;-). Appearance: This Duchesse poured out a beautiful dark caramel color with some golden tan highlights on her elegant body, and then fantastic head made of tight off-white foam. This leads into the sticky circles of off-white lacing, left lining the glass. Smell: The aroma is quite vinous, with a wine grapes aroma, a nice tartness, (those not in the know might think her a port wine) and yet an underlying caramel sweetness. It is spiced and complex; very much like the Holiday Spiced Wine from Mount Hope Winery (with what might be cinnamon and a splash of lemon in the aroma as well). Taste: The taste, like the smell was very complex and pleasing! The front of the palate is mildly tart dry grapes and then there is a nice layer of brown sugar and caramel that sweetens up the palate. Layer upon layer I realized more and more tremendous depth as the fruits began to reveal themselves; first apples and plums, cherries, a prune and then mixed berries. All the while, I couldn’t help but to think, this beer must be oak aged because the magnificent flavor of oak, and a subtle hint of leather, kept swatting at my taste buds. This beer has an incredible depth of character and flavor. Her finish is sour (not too much) just the prefect degree (tipping the scales to tart). That tartness carries into the aftertaste as well, balanced with the loving touch of gentle sweet fruits, leaving you with wonderful memories of how she treated your tongue. I could hardly keep my tongue in my mouth. I had to dive in for more. She’s irresistible! Mouthfeel: Tight little bubbles of carbonation treat your mouth just right. 36-24-36 this sweet lady has a perfect medium body with just enough dryness to force you to pucker up, and enough lingering sweetness that you enjoy it. Drinkability: I want her all to myself all the time. $65 a case and I would pay it too. Are all Flanders like this? I may be in trouble. Now that I have gone Flanders I may never go back! Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2007
I’m not very familar with this style since I’ve ever had one of these on draft. However, I certainly will try as many of this style after having this one. This was really a spectacular beer. I can’t say I would’ve appreciated this several years ago. Very sour aroma - duh! A little bit of vinegar, cherry, raspberry, and oak. Kind of hard to describe as the sour is so predominant. Taste is really huge. Incredible levels of tartness. Nice frothy head and a light ruby color. Great mouthfeel - very lively. I can’t wait to pop open one of these at the next neighborhood party and offer this to someone.

grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Best Before 03-10-09 Pours a reddish brown with a head that dissipates fast. Aroma is sour, lactic, vinigar dominates, with some wood. Flavor is sweet up front, some then vinigar, with a wood finish and some lingering lactic notes. This one kind of grows on me. At first I thought it wood be drain pour (and I love sours) because of the too much vinigar and sweetness, but the flavors start to blend into something that is more enjoyable as you drink this brew. Mouthfeel lacks significant carbonation but has a decently rich body that compensates.

mikalooch (224) - , New Jersey, USA - FEB 5, 2009
Bottle. Pours deep red with a foamy white head. Aroma, is yeast, sourdough bread, and cherries. Flavor is very tart, chanmpagne, cherry and honey. Thin sticky mouthfeel, very carbonated, tingly. Good beer, very interesting.

dylan88 (223) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 8, 2011
33 cl bottle. Pours reddish brown with a big head. In aroma there are hints of cherries, raspberry, yeast, roasted malt. Flavor mostly fruit and sugar, with a sour finish. Thin body with medium carbonation,

1.4
weepingsuds (223) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - JUN 17, 2005
Not sure about the other rave reviews. If you want something very different borderline chemical give this a try. Pours deep brown red. My wife agreed this stuff smells like acetone. I tried to finish the glass, but it felt like it was unhealthy to consume. This beer was part of 50 beers I just brought back from Belgium and this thing was the loser of the bunch.