overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2919   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 8, 2006
[bottle, rating #300] Oaky, sour balsamic vinegar aroma. Dark ruby in color, with a puffy, tan colored head. Tastes a lot like apple cider vinegar, but not in an overpowering way. As it warms, sweet flavors become especially present. Substantial carbonation. This is such a new taste for me, style-wise, and I find it different and pretty nice.

bubbleflubber (2211) - Swannanoa, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2006
The pour is dark, deep ruby-prune with a quickly diminishing head and no real lacing (I watered the glass a bit first, to be fair). The aromas are of vinegar, silos, sourmash and fresh cherries. Vinegar flavors accompany very sour fruits and a syrupy tart finish. This coats the tongue, sometimes unpleasantly pungent, and makes for a vinegar fruit juice mouthfeel. I can’t say that this is my favorite style nor brew, as I KNOW vinegar in depth, as I once had to take straight multiple shotglasses of it daily (for health). The bottle I’m currently rating has EVERYTHING to do with vinegar.... almost too pungent for me to enjoy, but I do appreciate the complexities at work, and am rating accordingly. This is certainly a "specialty" drink, and one that I’ll be happy to revisit later to see if the flavor contingencies are veered more toward "sour fruit" than "vinegar" (there is a difference, even though some might argue differently). My bottle may have been non-indicative of style.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 7, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 Tap at Dilly Delli in Cincinnati. I have recently updated my rating on the Duchesse. I found the first sample to be off-putting but I have since acquired a taste for this odd brew. A very cindery, vinegar flavor which you might think is bad but quite the contrary. After a few sips you’ll be coming back. Give this a try - twice.

MPA (999) - Amager (form. Nørrebro&Aalborg), DENMARK - OCT 25, 2006
Dark with off white head. Malty, fruiyte, spicy aroma with a sourish, sweet and a little metallic flavour.

tomthompson89 (1982) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 2, 2006
lovely. had recently at beer bistro, had it many times before at Smokeless. chocolate and lots of semingly creamy notes. kinda acidic but nice. it has that sweet and sour mix down...

pinkzambia (1931) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 8, 2006
Bottle: Dark copper color with a delicate off-white head. Tangy, sweet vinegar aroma. Also, I sensed some oaked cherries. The taste is absolutely delightful. It is akin to a stronger hard cider. The ale is as refined as the duchesse on the label. It leaves a wonderful taste tempting you to drink it in massive gulps. It is quite smooth going down. Thanks Indiana_Red for sharing this gem with me!

MartinT (9851) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 6, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2005 Confident balsamic vinegar effluviums intrigue...Eating cherries in the sunset...A woody breeze lifts the hints of vanilla and oak...Cheese and caramel hover over the vinosity...This is less fruity though than the Mestreechs Aajt...I used to watch them dance and glitter like a fireworks display, but sometimes that balsamic vinegar keeps blocking the view...A quite variable beer...

stic (109) - Oostende, BELGIUM - JUL 13, 2002
Not a bad beer. A better version of Rodenbach. Fruity, sweety, some cherries and a sour aftertaste.

Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 12, 2002
Sour and fruity. Very good to have now and then, but not often.

Indra (2711) - Suburbia, Kansas, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Sampled on tap 10/22/02. Woody, herbal, red wine and sour aroma, along with some definite vinegar, cherry and, eventually, a hint of vanilla(?!). Very slight head this beer has, just a slight haze and ring of off-white foam. Medium to dark garnet in color. Sharp and acidic in character, but quickly turning to fruity and lightly sweet, with a bit of tangy cherry becoming evident. Finish moves from initial tartness to a light, fruity sweetness with some faint, dry, musty hop flavors. Fairly light bodied. Palate is smooth and has a decided lack of effervescence. Mellows as it warms. Enjoyable beer. Drink this one by itself or at least at the start of your session so you can appreciate all that goes on, I think you’ll be glad you did.