overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2942   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 8, 2006
[bottle, rating #300] Oaky, sour balsamic vinegar aroma. Dark ruby in color, with a puffy, tan colored head. Tastes a lot like apple cider vinegar, but not in an overpowering way. As it warms, sweet flavors become especially present. Substantial carbonation. This is such a new taste for me, style-wise, and I find it different and pretty nice.

bubbleflubber (2227) - Swannanoa, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2006
The pour is dark, deep ruby-prune with a quickly diminishing head and no real lacing (I watered the glass a bit first, to be fair). The aromas are of vinegar, silos, sourmash and fresh cherries. Vinegar flavors accompany very sour fruits and a syrupy tart finish. This coats the tongue, sometimes unpleasantly pungent, and makes for a vinegar fruit juice mouthfeel. I can’t say that this is my favorite style nor brew, as I KNOW vinegar in depth, as I once had to take straight multiple shotglasses of it daily (for health). The bottle I’m currently rating has EVERYTHING to do with vinegar.... almost too pungent for me to enjoy, but I do appreciate the complexities at work, and am rating accordingly. This is certainly a "specialty" drink, and one that I’ll be happy to revisit later to see if the flavor contingencies are veered more toward "sour fruit" than "vinegar" (there is a difference, even though some might argue differently). My bottle may have been non-indicative of style.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 7, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 Tap at Dilly Delli in Cincinnati. I have recently updated my rating on the Duchesse. I found the first sample to be off-putting but I have since acquired a taste for this odd brew. A very cindery, vinegar flavor which you might think is bad but quite the contrary. After a few sips you’ll be coming back. Give this a try - twice.

MPA (999) - Amager (form. Nørrebro&Aalborg), DENMARK - OCT 25, 2006
Dark with off white head. Malty, fruiyte, spicy aroma with a sourish, sweet and a little metallic flavour.

tomthompson89 (1982) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 2, 2006
lovely. had recently at beer bistro, had it many times before at Smokeless. chocolate and lots of semingly creamy notes. kinda acidic but nice. it has that sweet and sour mix down...

pinkzambia (1931) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 8, 2006
Bottle: Dark copper color with a delicate off-white head. Tangy, sweet vinegar aroma. Also, I sensed some oaked cherries. The taste is absolutely delightful. It is akin to a stronger hard cider. The ale is as refined as the duchesse on the label. It leaves a wonderful taste tempting you to drink it in massive gulps. It is quite smooth going down. Thanks Indiana_Red for sharing this gem with me!

SSSteve (4006) - - DEC 17, 2006
dark ruby with a medium sized cream colored head. aroma of plastic, wine, sour grapes, wood, and hints of chocolate. flavor is sour and candyish with apples, grapes and caramel. very fruity. sour but not enough to pucker. full bodied.

Storm (2684) - Amager, DENMARK - DEC 31, 2006
25 cl bottle. Yeast at the bottom. Dark brown colour with a weak head. Aroma of sourness, acid and sweet fruit. Lovely complex flavour of oak, sour and sweetness combined with fruit and spices. Very wonderful indeed.

tish (35) - In transition at the moment, Indiana, USA - JAN 21, 2007
Bottle. Red brown with light head. Hint of vinegar and apple aroma. Slight sour and then almost a sweet cider flavor appears. Extremely enjoyable. (Had a tasting at Beer Church, bought a few more bottles to enjoy at home.)

Furseth (2161) - Kungälv, SWEDEN - JAN 30, 2007
Botlle who it stand on the label back,best before 12-11-2005. So this tasting of the beer was so exiting, because I never taste a belgium beer who has "ended" before I tasted it. Colour was deep red clear,no head at all. Aroma was Vine, and has kin of berry nose .Yeasty,citric,and in the end a bit of acid tones too. Flavor was vine,fruity,,some malt, and a smouth nice bitternes. Reminds me about a spanich Vine with a bit of oag age feeling. This was exiting! Medium body, medium finish.