overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2885   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

Schroppfy (2362) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2004 Absolutely fascinating aroma, sour yet bready. Beautiful color. Ultimately, a very challenging beer, but I found it a bit too sour (cherry, aged granny smith apple) for me to discern the other taste components. Thin to medium-bodied. I think my palate needs to mature more.

hoppyman (34) - Quebec, CANADA - APR 2, 2002
Dark-ruby red.Nose full of sour cherry and some notes of balsamic vinegar.Strong taste of sour cherry,cider,raspberry and a moderate metallic finish.Body is a bit thin to my liking .Nonetheless,this beer is not a waste of money and is,in my opinion a decent representation of its style.

Aurelius (5572) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Vinegar quality in the nose, almost Worchestershire-like. Beautiful deep tannic color, classy label. Meaty, tart, woody and perhaps a little smokey. Screams for a good chunk of roasted dead beast.

TAR (2787) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - SEP 19, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2005 The sharp aroma consists of cherry, raisin, sweet tart, iron, caramel, subtle chocolate, almond extract, light perfume, old books, and glue. This dispays some serious Brussels lace in the tulip. First sip shows acid, simeltaneous tartness-sweetness, oxidation, iron, and a deep grape malt mushiness in the finish. Not as sharp as I prefer, but the palate remained excellent.

bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2002
Mahogny body with a tan head. Sweet nose with a hint of maltiness. Very sour then tart flavor. No hops in the taste or aroma. I would drink again without a twist of the arm.

booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2002
Very nice, although not up to the standards of Rodenbach. Sweet and sour without leaving beer territory.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2003
Balsamico nose and taste. Brown with hints of red color, leggy. Almost like salad dressing.

schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 11, 2003
It's like they put granny smith apples in a red ale. It makes me smack my lips with the sourness. I have never had a sour ale before so I am impressed. I wasn't sure that I would like it that much but they balance the sour fruity tones with adequate malt flavors so it is not overwhelming. I enjoyed this beer though I may not be able to drink too much at one time.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Still trying to get my cheaks to stop puckering after this one. The flavor was like sour grapes with vinegar notes. The aroma was sour and vinegary with a slightly sweet fruity background. the burgundy body is topped by a medium thick off-white head with a good amount of lace. Full bodied, dry and slightly warming.

Rastacouere (6177) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 10, 2003
UPDATED: APR 4, 2004 Dark brown ale with a very small off-white head that disappears swiftly. A smell of fruits I can't quite all identify(dark berries, cherries, plums) with apparent vinegar and a vegetal note (dry parsley or something). As it enters the mouth, sour and sweet blackberries are well blended together with a honeyish malt sweetness and a bit of funk, notes of cloves, wood and clover. Refreshing despite being warm. It's mostly sweet still with high carbonation and a medium body, rather filling for the style. Oak comes back in the aftertaste that remains sweet.