overall
RATINGS: 313   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 111   ABV: 3.7%
The tastiest dark brew since the rollicking days of the infamous Donnybrook Fair, Donnybrook Stout offers unparalleled refreshment for an ale so deep in flavor and intrigue. Fresh, whole flower British and Slovenian hops provide the proper, earthy hint of 'the auld sod' while deep roasted barley and low alcohol keep Donnybrook Stout clean, smooth and flavorful. Served on mixture of 75% nitro and 25% CO2.

haddon90 (1634) - Newport Beach, California, USA - JAN 17, 2009
Draft. Light roasted malt in the aroma. Pours a dark brown color with a creamy head. Some nuts and oats as well. Very light taste though. Seemed watered down. It’s OK, but I’d prefer Guiness.

durhambeer (2585) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 11, 2009
Tap at Tylers. Dark brown pour with creamy light tan head. Guinness-like but thinner in body. Slightly roasted malt and nice lacto tart creaminess. Perhaps a slight hop presence as well. Let’s hear it for tasty low-alcohol brews.

T2Tool (352) - Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA - JAN 4, 2009
Had on tap. Nitro poured into a pint glass a black color with a nice, creamy tan head. Aroma of dark roasted malt with a little nuttiness. Taste of burnt chocolate and coffee along with the roasted malts.

joshwilfong (1200) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 29, 2008
nice looking pitch black brew with creamy-nitrogenated head. little nose. subtle flavor with some hints of roasted malt and some sourness, likely from a lactobacillus blend. i imagined this was supposed to be a guiness-like brew, but doesn’t have the subtleties or mouthfeel. not great, but a reasonable version of the style

dagimp (1008) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2008
On tap in Berwyn, PA, Main Street Pub. Pours a midnight black with one finger of head that stays with it. Beer was very dark with coffee tones to it. Unfortunately it was very sour and thick. Bitter aftertaste that stayed in my mouth for a few minutes. I would not buy this beer again. Go with the storm king stout by Victory, an excellent beer. This has been my only dissapointing beer so far from Victory, an otherwise great brewer.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 22, 2008
On tap at Tylers, Durham. Pretty thin looking body, almost like a brown, with a very minimal amount of carbonation. Sure enough, the body is perilously thin, which I think is a surprise for the solid Victory. Faint malts, very little roasts at all, nothing even approaching the pleasures the style can often afford. Not good.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 22, 2008
Nitro at Rustico in Alexandria. It is listed on tap, not nitro, but when it poured I was pretty sure this was nitro, I was going to walk up to the bar and see for myself, I asked the waiter, who confirmed this for me, and was interested to know how I knew it was nitro, and so I explained. Pours black with a satiny smooth 1 finger tan head. Nose is sweet and malty, taste is light malty and dry, like a slightly better guiness.

TURDFERGUSON (4068) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 17, 2008
On nitro at Speakeasy. Pour is exactly like Guinness...black with a thick meringue like white head. Nose is pretty faint, slight roasted malt, a bit of cream. Flavor is pretty similar to Guinness as well. Ick. Bartender told me to have this last because it was a palate killer. Hahaha. He also said it was a coffee stout. Could not smell any coffee in this beer and looking at the description it seems he was wrong there too. Of course the girl sitting at the bar tells me to trust my bartender and since I knew the guy I did not want to seem rude, but he really does not know shit. Surprise. Not a huge fan of Guinness and honestly I would have thought this was Guinness if I had got it blind. Next...

Goodgrief (2071) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Sampled at the brewpub. Of course it’s served with e nitrogen pour because, well, if Guinness does it, then everyone else has to as well. Still, this one manages to retain some flavor, which is a plus. Lots of roasted malts…to the point of being burnt tasting malts (which isn’t all bad). Unfortunately, there is a fairly strong milky/lactic flavor that 9 times out of 10 I find distasteful, and this isn’t the exception. I personally wouldn’t go back, but worth a try if you dig this style.

dogfish120love (1364) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 18, 2008
Very similar too a guiness in many qualities. More flavorfull however with a greater malt backing. subtled notes of oats and cofee are present