overall
RATINGS: 313   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 111   ABV: 3.7%
The tastiest dark brew since the rollicking days of the infamous Donnybrook Fair, Donnybrook Stout offers unparalleled refreshment for an ale so deep in flavor and intrigue. Fresh, whole flower British and Slovenian hops provide the proper, earthy hint of 'the auld sod' while deep roasted barley and low alcohol keep Donnybrook Stout clean, smooth and flavorful. Served on mixture of 75% nitro and 25% CO2.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - FEB 15, 2009
I didn’t care about the ABV, but what I did care about was the fact that this reminded me of Guinness. Very much watered down if you ask me. The best part about this was the coffee/ash flavor that the beer had. A nice dark black beer with a decent head. Not too bad looking, but the beer is TOO watery. I cannot get over this fact. I think that if they are going to make this it needs to have more body to it, but I realize they are going for the Guinness-type beer. I am not a fan of Guinness ergo I am not really a fan of this type of stout. I loved the ash and coffee flavors, and the look of it, but not a favorite of mine.

jrob21 (3690) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 19, 2009
On tap at Leon’s. Decent tan head gives the first couple of sips a creamy and frothy texture. Aroma has a bit of nuttiness. The flavor is a little thin and disappointing. A little bit of roasted malt and a slightly bitter finish. Otherwise not much else happening especially for a stout.

Ernest (7696) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 27, 2017
Draft at Eureka, Boulder. Lasting (nitro) head. Body is dark brown to black. Aroma is moderately malty (roasted grain, coffee, dark chocolate), with a light note of minerals. Flavor is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, lightly to moderately bitter. Light body, watery texture, soft carbonation. This has a pretty inviting (if basic) aroma, but nitrogen utterly ruins it in the mouth, where it’s incredibly thin and watery. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fully on board for a 3.7% stout, but nitrogen is a terrible choice for such a light body (it’s a terrible choice for any beer, IMHO, but especially for such a diminutive brew). Definitely needs more bitterness too.

Andrew196 (1902) - Katy, Texas, USA - APR 14, 2017
Draft at Cottonwood - Pours dark, creamy head. Lots of roast, coffee, a little bit of chocolate. Medium bodied, creamy at first, slightly chalky towards the end. Pretty simple and straightforward. Not great, not bad, seems like a decent St. Paddy’s session beer.

FROTHINGSLOSH (7796) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 4, 2007
Sampled on draft at the Rivertowne Pub in North Huntingdon PA this beer poured a black color with a small creamy khaki head. The aroma was bitter, lightly roasty and had a moderate floral hop note. The flavor was very bitter, moderately roasty and rather dry with a noted floral hop element. The finish was long and quite bitter.

jcwattsrugger (12420) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - SEP 26, 2007
on nitro-pours a full creamy light brown head that laces after the cascading finished and black color. Aroma is dark malt, roasty. Taste is dark malt-chocolate/coffee, secondary acidity/bitterness from hops. Soft carbonation. Nice, not my style.

adrian910ss (2575) - Doylestown, PA, USA - OCT 27, 2007
On draft at Capone’s. (nitro ?) Pours a muddy brownish black with a creamy brown/beige head. Tons of lacing. Weak aroma of malts and nuts. Smooth and creamy flavor of light malts, nuts and barley. Nothing special here.

Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - AUG 6, 2008
On tap at the brewpub. Clear cola with a brown head. Chocolaty nose, powdery. The decent nose lies - weak ass choco-coffee flavors, not much else. Smooth but too watery. Decent lace. Disappointing.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 17, 2008
On nitro at Speakeasy. Pour is exactly like Guinness...black with a thick meringue like white head. Nose is pretty faint, slight roasted malt, a bit of cream. Flavor is pretty similar to Guinness as well. Ick. Bartender told me to have this last because it was a palate killer. Hahaha. He also said it was a coffee stout. Could not smell any coffee in this beer and looking at the description it seems he was wrong there too. Of course the girl sitting at the bar tells me to trust my bartender and since I knew the guy I did not want to seem rude, but he really does not know shit. Surprise. Not a huge fan of Guinness and honestly I would have thought this was Guinness if I had got it blind. Next...

Beerman6686 (6607) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2009
This poured bascially an opaque black color with a big beige head. Aroma was very minimal, small hints of rostead coffee and some weak chocolate. Flavor was much the same, really watery and dry dry stout. Hardly anything going on here at all. Reminds me way too much like guinness