overall
RATINGS: 2488   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Enchanting and enlightening, this golden, frothy ale boasts an intriguing herbal aroma, warming alcohol esters on the tongue and light, but firm body to finish. Exotic spices add subtle notes to both the aroma and flavor. Strong, sensual and satisfying.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - FEB 13, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2005 Aroma macro-ey. Not much head foam but cute lacing. Crisp mouthfeel, sweet, slightly creamy, still macro-ey. If it weren’t so cloudy I’d think it could be a macro. Didn’t seem to really compare well to St Bernie’s Tripel.

Ungstrup (38423) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - FEB 12, 2005
An orange beer with a dense beige head. The aroma is sweet with notes of coriander, oranges, caramel, and finally dusty hops. The flavor is strong with alcohol burning the tongue and caramel sticking in the mouth, but also notes of oranges, coriander, and mango.

Saarlander (1920) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - FEB 10, 2005
This was a good brew, but I like the other Victory brews I’ve tried better. I think it could have been a bit more flavorful, But it was great none the less, I’d drink, and enjoy it again!

Bailz316 (256) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 9, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2005 Do yourself a favor and try this beer. Beautiful golden color, small head. Spicy flavor; somewhat fruity. Full bodied, nice strong finish. 10% alc. doesnt hurt. Highly recommended.

Homebrewerguy (320) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Zis Golden Monkey bier reminets me ov an alt blont girlish frient ov mein, gut tastink unt spicy. Zhe shtays vis you ze hole time as you eat up ze great head unt lastink body! I zhink Helga may jealous be when I get zis one again.
Earlier Rating: 2/8/2005 Total Score: 3.8
Now this is a monkey I can enjoy. An obvious wheat beer with spices, giving this beer an even more tart flavor than usual. My guess is Saaz hops blending with the spice to give an incredible flavor. Cloudy? I could actually see debris floating in this beer but it sure tastes good.

Indy (87) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - FEB 6, 2005
This one is interesting...an American craft brewery’s attempt at a Belgian Tripel. It’s like European Jazz, or Japanese Hip-Hop...a foreign country recreating something great from far away. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed this beer; it is a Golden Ale/Tripel hybrid that hit the spot. The problem is this: if I’m in the mood for a Belgain, I’m likely to go for something imported...from, say, Belgium. If I seem negative, that is not my intent; I applaud Victory for brewing this fantastic beer. In fact, I think it has a perfect niche in the beer store: the Golden Monkey is a great alternative to imports...good for if you need something different from the standard Begians (or if you are a rabid "Be American, Buy American" type).

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Bottle pours a very pale golden, cloudy, large white foamy head, light carbonation, with fairly decent lacing.   Pale fruit and floral aroma, bready sweetness, slight hint of alcohol.   Chewy up front, quite bready/doughy which is followed by a strong yet manageable floral flavor with soft pale fruit in the background.   Rounded body and chewy mouthfeel.   Finishes with a bit more alcoholic kick.   Lingering malts, bready, sweet, with some sharp floral notes.   Pretty damn good!   While the alcohol is noticable, 9.5% ABV, its quite smooth.   I think I’ll have another!

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2007 Cloudy golden yellow color, big white head. Lots of belgian funk to it with banana in the background the whole time. Spicy with some more citrus and honey as well as grassy hops and more funkiness to it. This was just damn good.

shanekrout (7) - York, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 4, 2005 does not count
This pours slighly cloudy and golden yellow. Light whispy head with banana aroma. Flavor is exceptional being medium bodied with spicey and citrusy hints. Finished clean and smooth. This beer is very drinkable with a noticable, but not overwelming alcoholic taste. Very good American version of the Begian style.

BeerAteHer (384) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 31, 2005
The taste taken alone is stunningly similar to an authentic Trippel. The body and character do lack something in the sense of having only sadly minimal carbonation and an oily smoothness in place of the graphic intensity of a true Trappist ale. Nonetheless, at 9.5 percent, the alcohol, like a great Belgian, is hidden to an amazing degree. For an American brewery to clone a cloister brew to this extent is somewhat of an accomplishment!