overall
RATINGS: 2488   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Enchanting and enlightening, this golden, frothy ale boasts an intriguing herbal aroma, warming alcohol esters on the tongue and light, but firm body to finish. Exotic spices add subtle notes to both the aroma and flavor. Strong, sensual and satisfying.

lemasney's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
lemasney (398) - Trenton, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2008
Victory Golden Monkey Tripel Ale with Spices ABV: 9.5% IBU: n/a Volume: 12 fl. oz. Glass: shaker Purchased at: Sherwood Liquors Consumed on: February 27th, 2008, 10:12 pm sensory first impression: A very pretty beer with quirky advertising. Overwhelming fruity scent, which I like. No head or lace to experience, but I don’t miss it, since the olfactory is so nice. I poured twice - first time clear - second time because I felt I had missed out on the bottle conditioning yeast. Whoopsie! the second yeasty pour made it downright cloudy. It’s like sandblasted glass now. Nice bite, lots of flavor - I taste bacon, and I smell banana. I’m not crazy about smoke in beers - see my future review of Triumph’s Rauchbier, for example, but this is balanced pretty nicely. There’s lemon and plums and orange and apple --- lots of apple -- and banana. Nice bite and texture, and the presence is divine. This is a special beer. Aroma/Olfactory: Malt is smoky and full of a fruit bowl of taste influences. Hops are herbaceous, mellow, and leafy. Very nice balance here. In the hands of an amateur, this would be a mess. Hail Victory. Yeast/Bacteria doughy, earthy, leafy, and reminds one of an aquarium. I just jumped in. Did I mention this is 9.5% alcohol by volume? Banana seems omnipresent, and I love it. Paprika? Ginger-licious. What an amazing depth of flavor. Visuals/Appearance: Color is pale and a solid block of gold. Liquid is cloudy with yeast. Head/Lace is nowhere to be found. Taste/Flavor: Maltiness/Sweetness is heavy in smoky sweetness - like a banana infused sausage, but delicious. Hoppiness/Bitterness is light and very balanced. Sour from the smoke, but in an affectionate way. Palate/Tactile: Body/Mouthfeel is quite full and cloying. Texture is creamy, slick, and thick Carbonation is softly present in the background. Finish is long lasting but muted. The cloying aspect amplifies this aftertaste, which is wonderful. Overall second impression: What a wonderful beer. It wasn’t the first thing to reach out and grab me, but I’ll be sure to keep it on the top of my list when I’m looking for something special to sip, enjoy, and savor. What a treat.

ChrisOfstad (332) - Hamar, NORWAY - NOV 16, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2017 0,3 litre Bottle from Total Wine Henderson. Cloudy Golden with little head. Brett aroma, sour little fruityness.

Jyrsa (959) - - NOV 6, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2017 Bottle. Semiclear golden. Nose of caramel, cinnamon, cumin, Belgian yeast. Sweet with malt, yeast and a mix of herbs.

leahanne (6) - - OCT 24, 2017 does not count
Golden Monkey Golden Monkey Golden Monkey Golden Monkey Golden Monkey Golden Monkey Golden Monkey ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

thatcudikid (1) - - OCT 21, 2017 does not count
this beer is the best i've had in years. refreshing and potent. that 9.5abv really kick starts any night! beautiful color and taste! love love love ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Helsdon (421) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 29, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2017 At City Tap in DC. Nice taste of yeasty esters, bubblegum, hay malts, mild sweetness. Starting to love Victory.

Bacchus66 (937) - South Carolina, USA - SEP 22, 2017
12oz bottle. Hazy golden pour with a creamy white head. Banana, cloves, straw, light grassy hops, lemon, orange, grain, earth. Soft carbonation and a round mouthfeel. Spicy banana warming finish. Excellent.

higgsbison (264) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 20, 2017
Quite enjoyed it. Probably one of my favorite triples. Had a bottle at flipside in Cleveland. I need to get it again for tasting notes I've drank a few over the last week. After getting two 6 packs. Bumped The rating from 3.5 to a 4. I very much enjoyed it. Lively carbonation with wonderful Belgium Yeast notes. Notes of creamy caramel and spices. Clove and coriander? All in all a pretty awesome beer ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mice (1043) - FINLAND - SEP 1, 2017
Hazy, copper brown beer with small and quickly vanishing head. Aroma has strong belgium yeast, orange and caramel malts. Taste has orange, yeast, malts and spicy. Aftertaste has strong spiciness and hints of alcohol. Almost full body. High quality beer that has to thank Belgium.

pictoman (1211) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 11, 2017
Poured from 12 fl oz can (canned 17 Apr 2017). Mostly clear golden yellow with quickly dissipating white head. Light caramel malt, yeast, coriander, and alcohol. The alcohol unbalances the beer a bit. Doesn’t quite hit the mark for me.

AcctError487629 (11) - - AUG 8, 2017
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2017 Aroma is sweet from fruit(mango, peach...) and spicy. flavor is quite dry, spicy. but Aftertaste is a little sweet (from fruit flavor) mouthfeel is medium and quite strong carbonation.