overall
RATINGS: 947   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
The pure water we receive from the East Branch of the Brandywine Creek that begins its journey to us just under 14 miles from where we brew with it. We’ll be celebrating this water (insert your lite beer joke here) with our anniversary beer, Headwaters Pale Ale, due to be released February 15, 2011. Now, considering that beer is the product of four simple ingredients and the three other than water rely on water for their existence, we’ve had a fair amount of latitude in paying homage to water in our beer. So, we’ve played all of our cards deftly, bringing the hops, malt and yeast in harmony, with our great local water as the conductor in Headwaters Pale Ale.

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - MAR 28, 2013
A nice if ordinary pale ale. Citrus aroma and taste is well balanced with the sweetness of the malts. The taste and overall quality of the beer lacks a crispness that I prefer in this style.

DCLawyer (2904) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - MAR 27, 2013
Bottle->SA. Pours orange with small white head. Aroma: pine and grapefruit hops, some malt. Taste: citrus hops and spice. Nice.

jmgreenuk (9867) - Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA - MAR 26, 2013
Bottle at Ales and Lagers, Kuala Lumpur. Poured a cloudy amber with a bubbly white head. The aroma is hoppy and a little spicy, leading to a medium bitter, hoppy, slightly spicy flavour. It reminds me very much of Punk IPA. A hopheads dream. Very drinkable and extremely refreshing.

Ed5388 (3488) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - MAR 24, 2013
12oz bottle. Pours an amber orange color with a finger of off white head. Aroma of grapefruit and lots of caramel malts. Taste is caramel malts with a substantial amount of grapefruit bitterness.

BeerBeforeH20 (129) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 21, 2013
Color and clarity are excellent on this APA, golden amber blend that all pales should try to match. Aroma leaves something to be desired however, not a lot of citrus or floral hops coming through. Taste has some hop bitter, but is missing that hint of citrus for me. This beer drinks well though and I will very happily finish the 6 pack. I wont break down the door to buy more, but would order one on tap if given the chance.

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Says to drink by June 23 2013, so I figure this is beer’s likely not more than a couple months old. Poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Appearance: Almost crystal clear with a very slight haze; orange in color. There’s about a two finger head after the pour, but it isn’t long before it’s just a film on top. Lacing is pretty spotty from top to bottom. Smell: I first thought it really smelled like woman’s shampoo with spices in it. That sounds odd, but it really did -- and not in a bad way at all. It smells great. As it warms up a tad, I find that it smells a lot more like a quality pale ale with a valiant blend of hops and malt. Probably the high light of this beer. Taste/feel: Sweetness with the hops up front, that develops into more hops... and then more hops... and then finishes with the bitterness, with the flavor of caramel malts coming in to balance the hops. It’s odd to me, because the hops seem sweet, and the malts seem bitter. Hey, I’m not complaining. The Citra (I believe they’re Citra) hops, as usual, provide a very juicy quality to this beer, and the slight malty and spicy aftertaste on this beer makes it all the more satisfying. This is a great pale ale that has the bitterness of an IPA, but more overall qualities of an APA. Definitely a tasty pale ale worth seeking out. For the best flavor, I say take it out of the fridge five minutes before drinking it -- it’s when it’s at its best, I think.

Shot (557) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 16, 2013
Pours golden amber with a creamy head. Fairly nice hop aroma, but not strong. Crisp and dry. Grapefruity notes. Floral hops. Slight malt finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation. A light and refreshing beer. Maybe too light for a pale ale; this is more reminiscent of a pilsner. However, it’s and enjoyable beer.

davidajensen (206) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 16, 2013
I really like the aroma and the appearance of this beer. The beer smells of a damp forest. The lacing is off white, sticky and the head is rich. The beer falls flat on the palate. It falls flat and leaves a dull bitter taste. I bit of a disappointment.

mikedevilsfan (226) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 12, 2013
Slight copper color, small head. Nice orange/ hop flavors on the nose. Great hop forward flavor. Slightly bitter taste on the back end. Great pale ale.

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 9, 2013
12oz bottle. Orange color, great head, lots of lace up the sides of the pint glass. Aroma is very floral hops, perfume-like and reminiscent of the floral/perfume aspect I get from Sierra Nevada amped up to 10. Flavor is more of the same. Overall a solid pale ale but it is also sort of one-dimensional and becomes overwhelming. Serving type: bottle 01-06-2013 17:15:42