overall
RATINGS: 3193   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 7, 2004
I decent hopped ale with a nice amber color to it. Nice aroma and pleasant taste.

DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - DEC 6, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2004 Hop Devil is amber--almost the same color as the bottle--beer. Pours with a rich, foamy off white head. Lots of bubbles and foam dissipate slowly leaving a thick pattern of lace along the rim. Aroma is rich and hoppy with malty bursts in the nose. I don’t know how a hop field smells but I’d imagine it’s similar to the aroma of this beer. Flavor is, once again, full of hops. Initial malty sweetness coats the palate but quickly yields to tangy hops bitterness. Notes of alcohol permeate this beer, as do grapefruit, pine, and Scotch flavors. Overall, this is a nice, complex beer with plenty to love about it. The bottle I sampled expired a month ago and still this beer is full of flavor.

shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Super Duper IPA. Havent had one of these in about 4 years or so I decided to Treat myself. I am glad I did... Just as good as I remembered it!

Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Pours slightly dark amber with decent fluffy head. Big pine citrus aroma. Initial light sweet malt taste turns to hops quickly. Very well balanced, full bodied beer. Great lacing. Could very easily be a fridge staple.

jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Pours deep amber with a one finger head. I swear you could splash this on your neck and use it as cologne--wonderful grapefruit and pine aroma. Flavor is a lot of hops with some spice and a dry finish. I could see myself drinking this often.

Lubiere (13916) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 5, 2004
On tap at the Syracuse Holiday Brewfest Dec.04 2004. Light copper ale. Sweet pleasant floral hops aroma. Good sustained hops with chunks of grapefruits. Medium bodied, well balanced, considering the bitterness. Always a good beer.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Light perfumey hop aroma, light orange amber color, nice not bold taste with a slight bitter aftertaste leaving a slight sweetness on the tongue. Sweetness becomes a little more predominant in the middle of the glass

Zeswaft (1773) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2007 Very hoppy but not the hoppiest IPA i’ve had. Very good and medium bodied. Tasty drink and great aroma. rerate. i love this beer. when it’s fresh it’s tough to beat. i’ve been drinking a lot of aggresively hopped ipa’s like two hearted and stone ipa and none have as strong of a malt balance as this.

SilkTork (5738) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2005 July, 2003: Bottle. Malt whiskey colour. Darkly hoppy aroma with brown sugar, ripe banana and some citric qualities. Slightly sticky sweet malt relieved by the dark bitterness. The balance between malt and hops remains constant until very late in the finish when the malt fades. Tasty, but not exceptional. [3.3]
Sept, 2004: Bottle. <a href=Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=290&FanOfID=4383>T Big Face Off. BBE May 2004. Sickly old stale beer aroma. Very cardboardy and unpleasant. Heavy sweet flavours and heavy oily hops. I didn’t enjoy this. [2.0]
Aug, 2005. Cask, GBBF. Too sweet, too hoppy - tastes strangely old. Not good. [1.8]

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2005 Very strong smell. Beautiful red pour in the glass. This beer has a unique bitterness which I really liked. It had a spicy taste to it which made it hard to resist. This is my second India Pale Ale and I am really starting to enjoy them. Great stuff.