overall
RATINGS: 3066   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

haukur (2124) - Kópavogur, ICELAND - APR 21, 2004
citrusy and a very hoppy aroma. Taste is more bitter then I expected, but gets very interesting as its worms up. The hops arent as aggresive as a thought, but very well balanced. Some acid, hints of peaches with a dry bitter finish.. this is a very nice brew, but maybe not my favorite style, but a very balanced, well made beer none of the less.....

Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - APR 20, 2004
Malt and hops team up for a surprisingly sweet, citrusy aroma. Still, there's some more fruit there that I'm not sure of. A heavy copper transparent with a fair head, tan in colour, that leaves a bit of lacing. After the nice aroma and all the anticipation, the flavour feels a bit of a let down. The bitterness is not particularly heady, nor soaring, but more masked by the malts than I'd have expected. It starts of with a hint of citrusy hoppy freshness, quickly leading to fearly heavy peachy sweetness. Then, thin citrusy notes re-appear, with a dry aftertaste of some bitterness. The body is perhaps too big for the flavour and although this is not the best IPA I've had, it is still an interesting one and a nice brew.

kwoeltje (2234) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - APR 20, 2004
(bottle) copper colored with small white head. Hops aroma. Pine and citrus hops flavor supported by a solid malt backbone.

heemer77 (5361) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - APR 16, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2004 Whoo boy!! Wished I could get this at home. My second great IPA I had to go to Chicago to get. Pours wth a thick white head and a dark orange color. There are all kinds of hops with oranges and caramel in the aroma. The taste is also orange sherbert (but not quite that sweet). The flavors are subtle. This is very well balanced. I need to get more beers from Victory.

BeerDude78 (91) - Brick NJ, New Jersey, USA - APR 15, 2004
This is one of the best beers available from Victory. The beer pours a redish amber color that retains a strong head. Hops in this beer are strong and robust. One of the best IPA's around. Definitely worth trying.

Beaver (1873) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - APR 15, 2004
UPDATED: APR 22, 2004 The Hop Devil pours a copper-orange with a pillowy off-white head that has good retention and exhibits some lacing.

Its aroma is strong hops with a nice citrus balance, along with some malty cookie underneath.

The taste is fruit and bready malt initially followed by a big piney hop bang. The hops are nice and strong with a lingering bitter taste, but the beer remains very nicely balanced. More malts come out as the beer warms. It has a nice smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA. Thanks to Probiere for the trade!

crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 14, 2004
I have yet to try something from victory that I didn't love, and they certainly make a killer IPA. Full of bitter hoppy goodness. There is also a side of sweetness, which adds nicely to the overall flavor.

BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - APR 13, 2004
Pours with an off-white, average head that is mostly diminishing and a clear amber body. Aroma is very hoppy (obviously), but less apparent then I expected. Wow. Tasting this beer really shows the copious amount of hops that give this beer its name. Initial taste assaults the taste buds with a citrus-pine flavor. Later this transitions into a kind of buttery bread flavor, with a bitter aftertaste that lingers. What a great IPA!

DanielBrown (4567) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - APR 13, 2004
Bottle, from Safeway, Shirley, West Midlands. Deep opaque red/brown, with a frothy head, rich in lacing. Heavy, musky aroma of Summer fruits and caramel. Surprisingly easy drinking: chewy toffee flavour, with a short, sharp dry snap at the end, before a smooth aftertaste. Spicy and warming. Top class.

roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2010 Nice sweet fruity aroma and amber brownish red color. Little whittish brown head. Aroma is decieving because there is very little fruit or sweetness to the flavor. Extremely bitter hoppy flavor. Verry hoppy aftertaste. 4/24/04: Third tasting of this beer, and I have to say its taste has grown on me, causing me to raise my rating of it a bit. At first I found the amount of hops almost oppressive, cause there is a ton, but recently I’ve found myself wishing for more hops, so I reach for a hopdevil. If you love hops, you will love this beer.