overall
RATINGS: 3193   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - OCT 27, 2003
UPDATED: APR 30, 2008 not really thee hoppiest, as the name seems to express, but certainly fantastic. great malt hop balance. just light enough, just thick enough. sweet stuff / slight caramel, faint apple, mellow bitterness that strikes out in the drinks end. feels good. smells good. drinks good. not perfect, not really world-class, but it is great. UPDATE 8/23/04: not my type of IPA, but it’s still good. sweet, apple, smooth, a bit stale yet not thin at all. it’s got a little spice. still a good brew to me. downrated. UPDATE 4/30/08: almost four years later--neat; nice malt background that is more than typical IPAs provide, with a nicer spice to the hops that is more than typical IPAs provide; a really good IPA.

tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 24, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2003 My favorite IPA, to date. Great hop flavor but not over powering. Very easy to drink. My first beer from Victory I cant wait to try more. Had on draft 1-14-03 had to come back and bump up a point or two. Still my favorite IPA.

greghate (10) - Parkesburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 23, 2003
My All-Time-Favoritest-Beer-Ever. I just haven't found too many beers that even come close to matching hop-malt-aroma-finish of this beer. If ever in the Downingtown area, visit Victory or the Drafting Room and try the cask-conditioned version of Hop Devil, it's worth the trip. You haven't lived til you've had ribs with Hop Devil barbecue sauce. BEST-BEER-EVER

KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - OCT 20, 2003
Fina aroma with whole-hop essence...Color is a rich amber with a very nice head...The flavor is hoppy, as the name implies, but by West Coast standards, is not super-intense---but this really makes for a well-balanced brew, buoyed by a solid malt foundation...Carbonation is restrained, letting the hops speak for themselves, and contributing to a fine smoothness for such an ale with an assertive hoppy edge...This is a really good IPA, perhaps lacking that Nth degree of distinctiveness, but certainly a dandy brew with flavor, nice weight, and excellent balance.

scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 18, 2003
where's the hops? not as hoppy as expected. floral bouquet. very smooth ipa with a thin head. dark amber color.

Sickboy282 (1114) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 17, 2003
A very decent Ipa, but I was expecting a little more hop action. Nice fuit flavors with a little spice.

xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 14, 2003
My first beer from Victory, and I'm going to have to buy everything from them I can find. Almost perfect IPA.

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2003
I actually had this beer right after I drank 3 Floyds Alpha King. I have to say that the hop devil actually seemed to taste much better. It has an extemely high amount of hops. It is tough to balance the hops, but Victory has done an excellent job. I had this beer on tap at McGregors in Rochester, NY.

chronictonic (472) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2003
One of my all time favorite IPAs. Great balance between a big malt body and an intense hop profile. Great mix of hops - flavor, bitterness and awesome aroma.

jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - OCT 8, 2003
Very drinkable IPA. Strong but not overpowering hop presence with a nice sweet malty backbone to provide very nice balance. Maybe its all the IIPAs I have been having lately but this just seemed remarkably easy to drink while still providing very good flavor