overall
RATINGS: 1652   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

paul9639 (116) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 22, 2005
poured a dark amber with a thin head. Aroma was sweet and fruity. The flavor was a fantastic combination of fruit and malts, with a hint of alcohol. Best barleywine that I have tried.

southamptonsam (116) - New York, USA - DEC 20, 2006
Having noticed that each night I keep picking one of these out of my well-stocked fridge (it is the holiday season), I surmise that I must really like this beer. I like barleywines in general but this is one of the smoothest ones with no off tastes or harsh notes. The alcohol is not overwhelming but the result is smooth and warming. I had one at the Victory brewpub several years ago and thought it was the effect of a Storm King that made me enjoy it so. This was the first bottled version I have had since local distributors don’t generally carry it. Time to place an order.

lovibond (115) - New York, USA - JUN 15, 2001
Beautiful copper color. A *little* on the sticky (cloyingly sweet) side, even for a barleywine. A touch more attenuation would be appreciated, but, still a very nice example in the British tradition.

rabba9 (115) - Chaska, Minnesota, USA - OCT 30, 2009
Bottle pours amber brown with a thin white head. Aroma is heavy on malts, caramel, raisin, and cherry. Taste is caramel sweetness initially but finishes with a nice floral hop bitterness and a roasted malt flavor. Body is medium-heavy. Flavors are balanced incredibly well, Well done!

Joel (114) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 12, 2015
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2015 Medium bodied beer with a pleasantly sweet malty taste. Slightly fruity, sweet, and warming. Great barley wine. Definitely one of my favorites in this style!

jeg (114) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 19, 2008
2008 bottle. Dark brown color, nose of figs and sherry. Flavor is a little sweet, a lto malty, but with a hoppier finish than some barleywines. Loved the balance there. Outstanding beer from an outstanding brewer.

birderbeerer (112) - Virginia, USA - FEB 24, 2011
Copper/amber in color with a white, two-finger head. Nice malty sweet aroma with some grape hints and hops. Pretty solid hop lead that rests on caramel, butter, and nuts. Very crisp. A solidly sharp barleywine. Malty with a citrus hop edge. Nice balance of fruity hops and sweet malts. Not super rich and not super sweet but a very enjoyable and drinkable. I look forward to another.

phikus01 (112) - New York, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Candied hops and brown sugar toffe malt with a touch of chocolate in the flavor. Beautiful red orange pour with everlasting lace

jbak (111) - Torrington, Connecticut, USA - MAY 5, 2002
Love this beer, dark, smooth and ass kickingly strong. victory wins again!!

kane (111) - USA - FEB 20, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2005 Sometimes I get my barleywines mixed up from the past because I could swear this had some hop character in the past, but I could be wrong. Caramel malts and alcohol are out front with the alcohol being a bit strong for me. A run of the mill barley-wine that I can not figure why it is a top 50 beer. Very average IMO.