overall
RATINGS: 3089   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 28, 2004
much more mellow and balanced than most imperal stouts. every thing has a chance to shine, I like

skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUL 25, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2004 Re-rate Multiple tastings of multiple vintages have me setled on my opinion - this is the strongest bath of hops and malt, with the hops being more evident when not aged. Wonderful aroma of roastiness and fresh cascade. <P> Rich, creamy and warm - in that order. Something this drinkable at the given ABV, hop, and malt level is astounding. There really isn’t anything super dominant here - just a fresh hop aroma and stunning chocolate malt flavor. The finish on the tongue is so rewarding. Add a Bonus Point for superb blending and alcohol disguise.

EtownEraser (63) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Nice dark brown headalong with a deep black body. An excellent blend of chocolate malt and bittering hops makes this full body beer worthy of the top 50.

GoldenSpunky (120) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 15, 2004
Unreal! Unbeleievable! I can’t believe I havent had this beer before tonight. It is both one of my favorite types of beers and from my favorite brewery, I don’t know what I was waiting for. This beer pours a deep dark brown, that is only comparable with dark chocholate from the mountain tops of Switzerland. The aroma of this beer is like a seductive lady that makes you long for the first taste. Everything up until now has been just talk, but there is nothing that can do justice to the taste of this beer. It is so smooth and well balanced that the taste buds in your mouth have to rejoice. There are hints of hops and barley along with a shot of strong coffee. The flavor just continues to amaze with every passing sip. After drinking this beer my new goal in life is to visit Downingtown, PA and drink a fresh batch of this beer on tap .

obisbeer (568) - Barcelona, SPAIN - JUL 15, 2004
Dark as night with fine but minimal head. Hoppy pine nose with some carmel and dark chocolate. Creamy on the palate with chocolate, bitter roated finish as it disappears leaving coffee in the mouth. Very enjoyable and well made beer

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUL 13, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2007 Bottle. Nose is malty and grapey. Pour is black with an orange beige head. This is it. This is the reason I drink beer. The flavors of roasted malt, alcohol, coffee, sugar, and grape come together in a perfect harmony. The flavor is a Mobius strip on my tongue. There is nothing I can say that has not been said here. Almost perfect.

Kevin (2199) - Montana, USA - JUL 13, 2004
bottle. holy christwagons this is so complex and wonderful. pours a blacker than black, black. with an orangish head. has an intriguing hoppy/earthy aroma. taste is friggin divine. the hops are ther, the malt is there, but is mixed experty. coffee and toffee notes are balanced with a slightly subdued grapefruit and raisin. this caresses my toungue. has a wonderfully smokey chocolate finish that is slightly woody. Thanks for the taste Lumpy.

hopdog (12584) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Poured dark black with a small brown head. Aromas and tastes of chocolate, coffee, molasses, smokey, and toffee. A lot going on there. Alcohol well hidden. Nice bitter finish. Well balanced. Very good beer.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - JUL 10, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2006 This is my "almost" everyday beer.Reason is, not because it is ordinary,rather becuase it is so freeking incredibly wonderful on many levels.Little head but what is there is a deep tan with a mahogany sheen.The aromas that come from this are a blend of molasses chocolate and coffee.The flavor is what would taste if you put a handful fresh roasted coffee beans in your mouth and kicked it back with some of Grandma’s molasses syrup that she used on your pancakes when you were young.The bitterness that remains as an aftertaste has a slight sense of alcohol but doesn’t overpower the lingering mix of flavors. Re-rate This brew sucks now and it really is a shame

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 8, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2006 12ozBottle vintage?? Nice thick looking pour, jet black, brown head that fades. RObust roast chocoalte aroma, a bit of rum-like quality. Nice full-bodied brew. More roasty chocolate sweet malt in the flavor, good bitterness and hop accents(I get spicy more than citrusy). Nice lingering sweet bitterness. Alcohol is hidden under that blanket. Overall, a very nice IS. I’d either need to drink multiple bottles of all these top rated IS, or do a big side-by-side in order to get my preferences. My notes and ratings aren’t helping much with beers so massively good. Is this a 4.2 or a 4.5? Or was it better than Bells? Tough to say outright for me. A big thanks to slikwily for sending this one my way!