overall
RATINGS: 2988   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

Kevin (2201) - Montana, USA - JUL 13, 2004
bottle. holy christwagons this is so complex and wonderful. pours a blacker than black, black. with an orangish head. has an intriguing hoppy/earthy aroma. taste is friggin divine. the hops are ther, the malt is there, but is mixed experty. coffee and toffee notes are balanced with a slightly subdued grapefruit and raisin. this caresses my toungue. has a wonderfully smokey chocolate finish that is slightly woody. Thanks for the taste Lumpy.

hopdog (13102) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Poured dark black with a small brown head. Aromas and tastes of chocolate, coffee, molasses, smokey, and toffee. A lot going on there. Alcohol well hidden. Nice bitter finish. Well balanced. Very good beer.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - JUL 10, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2006 This is my "almost" everyday beer.Reason is, not because it is ordinary,rather becuase it is so freeking incredibly wonderful on many levels.Little head but what is there is a deep tan with a mahogany sheen.The aromas that come from this are a blend of molasses chocolate and coffee.The flavor is what would taste if you put a handful fresh roasted coffee beans in your mouth and kicked it back with some of Grandma’s molasses syrup that she used on your pancakes when you were young.The bitterness that remains as an aftertaste has a slight sense of alcohol but doesn’t overpower the lingering mix of flavors. Re-rate This brew sucks now and it really is a shame

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 8, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2006 12ozBottle vintage?? Nice thick looking pour, jet black, brown head that fades. RObust roast chocoalte aroma, a bit of rum-like quality. Nice full-bodied brew. More roasty chocolate sweet malt in the flavor, good bitterness and hop accents(I get spicy more than citrusy). Nice lingering sweet bitterness. Alcohol is hidden under that blanket. Overall, a very nice IS. I’d either need to drink multiple bottles of all these top rated IS, or do a big side-by-side in order to get my preferences. My notes and ratings aren’t helping much with beers so massively good. Is this a 4.2 or a 4.5? Or was it better than Bells? Tough to say outright for me. A big thanks to slikwily for sending this one my way!

cstuartj (1020) - Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2004
I really wanted to love this more than I did. Although it is a top Stout, one of the best in fact, I couldn’t stop comparing it to Stone’s Imperial Stout. And it’s probably just personal prefference, but I like Stone’s a lot more. That said, this brew will beat just about every other stout out there hands down.

shintriad (701) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 30, 2004
Baker’s chocolate, coffee, toffee, lots of hops. I was expecting to be blown away based on the reviews, but I just thought it was a good stout in general. Maybe it needs to age a bit. Bonus points for masking the alcs.

smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JUN 25, 2004
Bottle - big roasty, chocolatey nose. Velvety smooth on the palate. Beautiful chocolatey Impy. Loved this one!

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 24, 2004
Dark Coloring. Good Tan Head. Coffee. Roasts. Oh dear...for the Stout lover this one’s alright laddy!!

duff (5486) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 24, 2004
Bottle-In the vaults of HI International. Bring it on. What a great beer. Beautifully velvetty chocolate mocha flavours, lovely roasted malts. Its also quite hoppy, for sure, but the balance is great, it really is rich, yet subtle, teases the tongue quite nicely. Always made me want more after every sip. Bottled on Jan 20, 2004, so its fresh, and it tastes mighty good.

CamdenD (1204) - Madrid, SPAIN - JUN 23, 2004
Easily my favorite imperial stout, although there are many I have yet to try. Bitter. Wow. Good.