overall
RATINGS: 3082   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beermaniac (86) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2004
Aroma: Hoppy, with coffeish dark malt in the nose. Appearance: Black, opaque with low head retention but still some remaining throughout the glass. Flavor: Roasty dark malt with a tasty chocolately slant. Citrusy hops and coffeish/chocolate flavor go well together. Some alcohol is evident but not overpowering. Mouthfeel: Full with some dark malt acridness and hop bitterness, but its by no means astringent or unpleasant. Overall: Excellent, I've had this several times and its always a nice hoppy, chocolately, roasty treat for when I'm not the one driving!

BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - APR 20, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2004 Bottle (11/21/03): Pours to a dark black color with an average, foamy, dark amber head. Aroma is VERY hoppy for a stout, with scents of burnt chocolate, bananas?, and other floral aromas that remind me of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Taste is initially bitter (expected for the hops) and slightly like burnt chocolate - really assaults your mouth right from the start. Finishes out dry with a bitter then quickly sweet and floral aftertaste that begs you to drink more. Impressive. Re-Rate (8/25/04): I don't know why I went so crazy over this last time I tried it. It's very good, but not the 4.4 I originally gave it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - APR 20, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2007 Bottle 04.20.04 (b.o.d. 10.23.03) Pours as dark and thick looking as molasses. Very little head, sporadic lacing. Aromas of burnt chocolate and prunes; some ripe bananas; concorde grape(?). There is a sense that some floral aromas were present yesterday, waning to reveal alcoholy esters today. Flavors are at first sweet, creamy caramel. Hops bitterness comes through early and biting. Expected dark malt taste. The palate is unexpectedly thin, finish overly dry for such a big stout. I expected more sweetness across the palate to balance the bitterness of the heavy hopping. I think Ill cellar a few to see how it improves as this beer seems ripe for aging.

05.09.05 12oz bottle from same 10.23.03 batch. Totally rad beer, time has done nothing but improve this brew. Palate is creamy and soft with round roasting adding just a mild bitterness. No noticable oxidation after the extra year. More balanced than younger SK.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ruffian (149) - montvale, New Jersey, USA - APR 15, 2004
Black as can be. Dark Almond foamy head. Roast, coffee, chocolate, alcohol hit the nose. Flavor I pull a lot of chocolate, some hop bitterness also, but it ends with a warm chocolate coat all over your mouth. Excellent mouth feel. I must go back to the store and get the rest off of the shelf.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
piscator34 (2386) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - APR 15, 2004
Jet black with a massive tan head. Lots of hops and dark chocolate malt with regards to the aroma. Flavor wise, there's more hops and chocolate, along with roasted nuts and alcohol. Very smooth and mouth filling palate. Wow! Thanks radiomgb... I hope I have enough will power to age the other bottle I have.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
duke33 (69) - Eldersburg, Maryland, USA - APR 13, 2004
Very very hoppy for an imperial stout...But it's not too overpowering...in fact, it's just right. Heavy body...very heavy on the malts, and really high alcohol content. Small to almost no head when poured. Definitely one of the best imperials out there!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2004
Bottle. Well, there's no question that this is a Victory brew from the get-go... the glass is at arm's length as I write and I can already smell the hops! Deep raisin red-black with a lumpy, big bubbled head that sticks to the glass... note that it sticks, this is not lacing, rather an entire blanket is left on the sides of the glass. Nose is wonderful American hops! Also twinge of coffee and the obvious nice strong dark malt. Immediate bitter on the front of the tongue that fades into a sweetness and beautiful maltiness and a tiny coffee (only slight) taste. I expected this to be a little sweeter, but it is much better than anticipated for the style. Mouthfeel is full of body and nice solid carbonation, though not chewy like some stouts and imperials. This one continues to tingle on the tongue after the swallow. Very nice beer. I do believe Victory knows what they are doing!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ghostwheel (43) - Hauppauge, New York, USA - APR 8, 2004
Light for a stout. More of a porter or brown ale than stout. Great body and beautiful hop finish. Best palate I ever had. Head pours nice and beer is a deep bronze color. roasted caramel and a hint of cloves or nutmeg in the aftertaste. This beer has rifled to the top of my list. I recommend to all beer lovers around the world. I look forward to my next trip to the Ale House for another round of this gem of a beer. GET SOME! NOW...mmm mmm.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 7, 2004
Certainly at the top of my stout list. One of the hoppier stouts that I have had. Very full flavor that fills the mouth. Drink it slow and enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2004 Hoppy aroma with a rich malt backbone. Very black. Hops and deep malt with warming alcohol in my mouth. That is followed by an awsome hop/sweet finish. This could be a bit heavier in terms of body **Update 7/04 I had this from a firkin at the brewpub. This beer, when cask conditioned, may just be able to tell us the meaning of life. Absolutely wonderful. Incredibly smooth. The aroma is bigger but softer at the same time. Wow. If you see this in a cask, GET IT.