overall
RATINGS: 3064   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tkaufman (128) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Aroma of toffee, coffee, and good ole roastiness greets you on the pour. A nice dark opaque black with plenty of mouthfeel. Flavor starts out roasty and malty but finishes with a nice bitterness. One of my favorite Russians.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 9, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2004 2003 Vintage (Rerate) I just love to revisit this beer, so I though that on a date very close to the one year anniversary of the first time I had this beer I would rate it again. Here I am 1000 or so ratings later what will I think of it? Black body, not as oily as some other ISs. Very nice dense creamy mocha head, The glass lacing is outstanding. The aroma is still loaded with roasted malt and citrus hops. Definite smoky notes. The flavor is just magnificent, balanced hoppy and sweet malt, wood, smnoke, vanilla, chcocalte, citrus, its all in there. The mouth-feel is incredible, silky smooth, full, and no signs of alcohol. Brilliant. My rating stays the same.

Original Rating - 8/9/2003 Updated: 11/14/03 Very nice light brown head that clings for its life to the sides of the glass. Aroma is hops, wham! Roasted malt aromas develop after your nose acclimates to all of those hops! The flavor is simply outstanding! Perfect mix of raosted malt, chocolate and hops. Wow! Body is big bold and assertive. It coats your entire mouth. This re-rate was a very good idea because this is one hell of a beer.

2002 Vintage I am not quite as enamoured with this one as others but it is still quite good. I will have to reevaluate it (good thing I bought a 6-pack :)). Huge roasted malt aromas. I detected a hint of alcohol and coffee. Black as can be with a quickly diminshing brown head. Initial flavor is hop bitterness, then the bitterness of the roasted grains takes over. Nutty/sour flavors develop and the finish is bitter with hints of all that alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2006 From my score you can tell Im very excited about this beer. This is second to Alesmith Speedway stout. This is very smooth for the alcahol content. really chocolatey, sweeter than expected with nice hops in the finish. Rates up there with my alltime favorite. Maybe top five. I should open a Speedway to compare, but Im way too hammered. Rerate 071605: Not how I remember it. I could see through it as I was pouring. Taste is dry, not as sweet as most imperial stouts. Lots of roasted bitterness. The light body is kind of a disappointment. Taste and body have Coca Cola qualities to it. Im really not sure what to think. The roastiness is good, but its just a little thin. Score decreased from 4.3 to 4.1. One pint taken off appearance and one taken off palate. Rerate 111706 bottled on 12/04: Like a fine wine- complex with subtle flavors. doesnt rely on being overpowering like most imp stouts. I wouldnt say this is thin, its just an easier to drink imperial stout with excellent flavors and nice balance.

lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
nice deep black beer with a decent aroma, the begining the beer was hoppy and refreshing, but the beer ended out to taste dull at the end, i dont know if that is because of the temp it reached or what.. but i do have 5/6 of a 6er left so i might be changing this review

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Black as black can be with a small, tan-colored head. It's like a blackhole sucking any light around into it. The smell is alcohol and a swarm of different malts. The taste is the same...big! Espresso-like bite with subtle hops that slowly get more notable. Smooth to bitter play with a slightly funky ending. It's great but something just ain't right. I'll have to get another one to compare but I'm not super impressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2005 I am aware that this is the top rated beer at that other site. Blacker than night with a nice reddish brown head. Nice hoppy aroma promises that this isnt your granddadys stout. Nice hoppy flavor with a good malt accent in the finish. Nicely balanced. Cant taste alcohol in this one, surprisingly. I dont know what the most astounding thing about this wonderful brew is, the great name, the great taste or the great price. This is the best value in beer! Cheaper than some 40s!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
deprogram (115) - Renton, Washington, USA - AUG 4, 2003
12 oz. bottle Victory's packaging excels, as always, with an understated but beautiful design. Here's to a lovely bottle, and a lovely taste, too - scent of sweet burnt chicory, retiring before the monstrous taste, sharp and tingling in layers of malt sweetness. Burning start, evenly balanced finish - this is a pleastantly hearty beer for a Monday evening. Bravo, etc.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - AUG 3, 2003
I'm impressed with the excellent coffee flavor. So good, love the bitterness. Go buy this beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2003
Wow. What a presence. Huge body . Espresso-like in appearance as the label claims. Had been reading about this one on another beer site and had to try it. Had to call around to about 6 beer distributors here in Pittsburgh to find some. Most places said it was seasonal and they wouldn't get any 'til this Autumn. Mellinger's which is inthe Oakland section of town near the Universities has bunches of it, owner says he bought a shitload of it last Fall . At any rate... this is the beer that eats like a meal as they say . I prefer this type of stout over the dry Irish type. I used to think Murphy's was good but this is overall so much better IMO . Probably not the best choice for the hot humid weather we're getting this Summer but good nonetheless I suppose if you're in the air conditioning . I was impressed with Victory's Hop Devil and will surely try other beers of theirs. I recommend this one highly even if you aren't a stout person. It's a good frame of reference for an ideal stout. As good or better than Sam Smith Imp. stout and about $20 less per the case !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2003
this thing is blacker than my lungs. Nice tan head and an aroma that makes me think I'm drinking an IPA. Very smooth going down, with a strong roasted malt flavor. The alcohol is noticable, but just barely. Damn good.