overall
RATINGS: 472   WEIGHTED AVG: 3/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Previously known as All Malt Lager (Helles) & V Lager

There was a time when all beer tasted this good. Back when immigrant Brewmasters turned fresh malts and hops into liquid gold. Before big business lessened our precious beer with corn and rice. Having trained in Germany, we thirst for better beer. So, we brew better beer like this crisp, golden, helles-style lager. Brewed with patience from quality German malts and hops, it is a Victory for Your Taste!

Malt: Imported 2 row German malts

Hops: Whole flower German hops

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 13, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2009 Have to take this one way down. I don’t know what happened to the malt. There really is very little flavor here now. I used to have this rated a 4.5. June 7, 2004: This is the new recipe Helles, rather than the old, wonderful (perfect) Dortmunder. Though I miss the latter terribly, this has provided some comfort. It has the palest gold color I’ve seen--reminding me a lot of Augustiner. The head is nice and white. The flavor is light, but there is a lot of pale malty sweetness packed in there. I think I also detect some hops in the flavor--a considerable amount if I’m not mistaken. Overall, this one is so much like Augustiner, I’m amazed. I’ve heard rumors from that the secret to this Helles is Victory having obtained a pedigreed Munich yeast strain. I wouldn’t be surprised if it were Augustiner’s. Excellent beer.

muzzlehatch (4975) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 13, 2004
Bottled, at some nameless restaurant in suburban Philadelphia. "Say whatcha got there bud?" "Well I got two lagers, one’s a pissy macro and the other is from a fine micro brewer." "Well, how can you tell bud?" "’Cause this one says ’Victory’ on it, and it’s a ’helles’, man." "Hmm, they both taste about the same to me, sweetish, slightly malty, overcarbonated, just a little bit of hops." "But surely the Victory is much, much better made...and it’s not an evil macro, by gum!" "Yeah, I guess you’re right, send me 12 cases....sucker!"

swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
This is a basic lager with a strong malt flavor. Not a bad beer just not one of my particular favorites.

pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 14, 2005
Bottle; variety of victory’s sampler case. Full bodied, aromatic, malty lager in classic german style. Not a fan of this style - rather a pilsener or pale ale for everyday drinking.

mephisto (1301) - TAIWAN - AUG 30, 2005
clear golden w/ white head. typical lager aroma, though the taste is pretty nice for lager.

DarkElf (3067) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 26, 2005
(12 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with hopdog, thanks Steve!) Medium straw in color, slightly hazy, and topped by a small white head that receding to a wide ring within minutes, and no lace is left on the glass. The grainy, stinky feet, lagerish nose is okay I suppose, but not very enticing. Grainy and mildly sweet flavor with a bit of corn thrown in is certainly not offensive, but not pulling me in either. Mild bitterness for reasonable balance. Light bodied, but not watery, and the finish is acceptably clean with a very slight crispness. Wow, just a boring beer. I’d possibly drink this if I were thirsty on a hot day, but I’d probably drink water instead -- I’d rather use my "beer calories" on something more tasty.

riversideAK (6265) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - SEP 2, 2009
Did not get much out of this one at all. Nose was almost non existent with the exception of some grass and light grain notes. Poured light yellow with no head. The flavor was hard to find. Grass with a hint of sweetness. Thin with nothing much going on. Expected way more out of this one.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - DEC 29, 2009
12 oz. bottle from Malt and Vine. I don’t see how this looks any better than other pale lagers(?). Haze yellow without any head. Slight honey and pislner aroma. Very pungent and nice. Just a nice pilsner aroma. Pale malts are coming through as well. Not a very nuanced beer, but still decent. PIlsner taste follows the aroma. Honey comes through as well, but only in small doses. Not extremely creamy or smooth, but I wouldn’t like it if it were that way. Not a very nuanced taste. Glad to have tried...I could see myself drinking this regularly, but only if it were distributed in Georgia.

ben4321 (6827) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - FEB 5, 2010
Location: 12 oz bottle from Gilly’s, 2/5/10

Aroma: Some grass, a bit of bread, some straw, toffee/caramel, and some toasted notes
Appearance: Clear golden color with a thin white head and some bubble movement in the glass
Flavor: This one has a pretty mild flavor, some doughy notes, grains, somewhat sweet
Palate: Light bodied and fairly easy to drink, with lively carbonation
Overall Impression: A decent lager, but it just seems to be lacking a bit. There just isn’t quite enough there, though it is not bad either. Pretty drinkable though, and certainly unoffensive.

blankboy (7865) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 1, 2011
Bottle [12oz]. Pours a clear, very pale yellow-gold with an average size lasting frothy white head. Aroma of corn, grain, biscuity malt and very light hops, too light in fact. Only slightly watery flavour is grainy and slightly sweet along with corn, biscuity malt and light hops. Very mild bitter finish. Average bodied. I’m not a big fan of Lagers but I’ve definitely had much better ones then this, this is average at best -- in short: Boring.