overall

RATINGS: 358   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
This is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging without the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% ABV and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years. For now this will be a seasonal beer offering.

HurricaneExp (1) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 9, 2013 does not count
This is my go to black ale. I support our regional creative breweries as much as possible and Voodoo Brewery is at the top of my list. For my taste this brew has the best all around character.

rpm56 (16) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2010
One of my favorite Imperials along with Old Rasputin. Pour a deep dark black with a lacey mid-tan head. An aroma of bittersweet Swiss chocolate and hit of Sumatra. Slightly viscous, with a lasting mid-palate. Gonna hvae this out of firkin this Friday (5/7/2010) at the Blue Monkey, can’t wait!

DavoleBomb (1867) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 18, 2011
Poured into a snifter. 2009 vintage (came out in 2010). 4.5 A: Jet black color. Just less than two fingers of creamy brown head that retains well and leaves the glass covered in lacing. 5.0 S: One of the best smelling beers out there. In one sentence, it smells like a shot of mocha espresso served in a tiny wooden cup. Thus, espresso, oak, and to a small extent vanilla. There’s quite a bit of roastiness going on with lots of roasted barley and dark crystal malts. Lastly, we can’t forget the healthy punch of milk chocolate. Not much hop character going on in the nose, at least none that isn’t covered up by the malts. 5.0 T: More bitter than the nose would suggest, the hops finally flex. As in the nose, this one is complex in the taste. Quite a bit of roastiness again: roasted barley, dark roasted coffee, some burnt flavors, and a touch of smoke. The milk chocolate in the nose becomes semi-sweet chocolate in the taste. Crystal malts add some sweetness to balance out the roasted flavors and the hop bitterness. The 12.5% ABV is very well hidden, so much that I almost forgot to comment on it. Bottle-conditioned gives a touch of mostly neutral yeastiness. 4.0 M: Medium body. Good carbonation. Smooth with a pleasant roasted coffee aftertaste. No problems, but I prefer a thicker body on my impy stouts. 4.5 D: Damn good brew that gets better as you get to the bottom of the glass. This would definitely be a 5 if the mouthfeel was a bit thicker. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 03-03-2010 23:25:14

Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - MAY 2, 2012
Originally reviewed: 7/20/09. Poured into my snifter a thick deep never-ending black. A small tan head resides on top. Though small, this head lingers throughout the entire time I’m sipping this. Nice. Some light spotty lacing on the side of the glass. Smells of fresh bread, coffee, raisins, and dark chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. The mouth on this beer is what I crave in every big stout. Silky smooth, but thick enough to chew. One could wrap themselves up in this and stay warm throughout the cold winter months. As it is, I’m in NC, in the middle of the summer. Still a comfort to me. This beer just coats the entire mouth when sipped. Wonderful! Flavor is spot on as well. I let this warm a bit before I started in on her, and there is tons of chocolate all over this beer! Nice bitter aftertaste lingers on the tongue. Creamy mellow flavors pervade. This is a big beer, no doubt, but it is surprisingly tame enough to enjoy any month of the year. Not as bold or harsh as I expected. The alcohol is pretty well hidden as well, making this ever-so-drinkable. This is one stellar Imperial Stout. I believe this might be my favorite to date. Highly recommend.

furthur (1229) - Eagle River, Alaska, USA - JUL 25, 2014
Bottle pour, nice graham cracker head, fades quickly to a skiff, opaque black body. Aroma is molasses, raisin, soy, bourbon, toasty. Taste is dried cherries, coffee, dark chocolate, black malt. Finish is bitter, slightly sweet n sour. Body is rich, but not syrupy, with subdued carbonation. The balance on this is so good. Rich and dark and dry. Could be my new favorite.

Sonicdescent (388) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 23, 2009
Pours a dark red to almost appear black. Little tan head quickly settles to a crown. Scent is roasted coffee, chocolate, and believe it or not, bourbon. Tastes very nice, chocolate, coffee with a light cascade and oak finish. The oak is much more muted than the bourbon character in black magick. Mouth is medium, carbon is medium. I may have prefereed thicker bodied and less carbon, but that is a nitpick. Nits aside, this is a top notch brew that I whole heartedly recommend to anyone lucky enough to find it. Worth the relatively premium price tag.

jfitzy78 (8) - Belgiadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2010 does not count
. Nose of chocolate and roasted coffee, roast, mild boozy bourbon, slight oak and raisin. A great nose. Tastes of chocolate and coffee, mild roast, a great dose of bitter, some coffee and vanilla. Thick and viscous

phillybeer7779 (101) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 13, 2010
Great under the radar stout! From Pinnochio’s in Media, PA. Great dark color, with a roasted aroma. Taste is coffee upfront with chocolate coming out as the beer warms up. Definately worth checking out!