Voodoo Wynona’s Big Brown Ale - Bourbon

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: /5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: /5   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

Most RecentTicked By

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
nhindian (1) - USA - SEP 1, 2011 does not count
12oz at Bocktown for the Local Fest! A - Chestnut brown pour, fairly clear despite the color. As its from tap, there isn’t much head so they could cram as much liquid as they could into the glass. Therefore, rather low retention and lacing as well. The nice color more than makes up for the lack of head, however. S - A fairly malt forward beer with a slight tinge of tartness as well. A decent amount of caramel at first which leads into the chocolate. If I didn’t know this was aged in bourbon barrels, I never would’ve guessed it besides the slight fruit finish and a touch of oak. T - As in the nose, the taste is pretty innocent as well. I have to admit I’m not completely familiar with the base beer, but I can imagine most of the original flavors come through. Caramel, slight coffee, and sweet chocolate are all present, and the tartness returns, giving me memories of Shorts’ beers I’ve had in the past. Following the nose, the barrel here is once again an afterthought, being quite weak besides dabbles in the oak and a very, very weak bourbon character. M - Mouthfeel is relatively light-bodied with low corporation. Pretty thin despite being barrel-aged and the low carbonation does it no favors. D/O - Drinkability is fairly low. I’m not sure what happened with this beer, but it definitely doesn’t fit with Voodoo’s barrel-aging pedigree from Trapped Under Eisbock, Big Black Voodoo Daddy, and Black Magick.