overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 3251   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   IBU: 14   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-pored white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time (always a pleasure / enjoyment), goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

wilderthanyou (758) - Guelph, CANADA - JUN 8, 2008
Pours a cloudy darky yellow with a BIG foamy head. The aroma is straight up wheat and yeast, with some light citrusy notes. The flavour is spicey, and fruity with a standard banana flavour finish. A damn refreshing beer, and the foamy mouthfeel is bang on. Goes damn good with some fresh beef jerky.

yumyum (221) - barrie, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 8, 2008
if you are in the mood for a nice wheat beer then this one fits the bill. Pours murky orangish colour. wheat and yeast on the nose. Good mouthfeel and as good of a flavour as you will likely get for the style. Nice on a hot day. prefer it to original schniederweisse, hackerpschorr?

Elmowl (12) - Annandale, New Jersey, USA - JUN 6, 2008
Murky blond beer; head creamy but dissipated quickly. Fruity aroma and lemon wheat aldehydic flavor with mild sweetness. Smooth mouthfeel. A little flat but could have been the tap. Good but not great beer; will try again on a hot day.

cyrenaica (1126) - Milton, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 4, 2008
500ml bottle
5.4% ABV
I tried this beer on May 31, 2008 after purchasing from the Queen’s Quay LCBO outlet in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a hazy orange colour with a generous bubbly head. The aroma was mild wheat, some hops, and some spiciness with a malty feel. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, slippery, with a lot of carbonation. The flavour was sweet and spicy with wheaty, malty, and soime fruit tones in the mix.

dalepryor (305) - Paducah, Kentucky, USA - JUN 3, 2008
Pours orange and is slightly cloudy, with a frothy head at first and then a thinner creamy looking head. Smells of yeast and wheat exactly what this style is known for. The flavor is very smooth, has a sort of citrus hint and a little banana along with yeast and wheat. This is a great Hefeweizen!

rw4244 (134) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - JUN 1, 2008
Poured a cloudy orange with a blooming white head. Strong and complex aroma; sour wheat and yeast, hints of banana. Tangy sour flavour, very refreshing bubblegum sweetness. Nice palate. Excellent beer, one of my favourites.

bermod (119) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - JUN 1, 2008
Wheat, sweet banana, spices and little of grass in aroma. Flavor is malts, banana, spices and yeast. Smooth mouthfeel.

DerWeg (1677) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 1, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2009 Bottle, import, 3 weeks old. ;) Very nice solid blonde weizen color! Billowing head gives off yeasty banana and phenolic aromas. Taste darting hints of some tropical fruit, maybe guava? Slides back very lieblich and goes ex. well with the herb-poached arctic char. Even better with the brunch left-overs of same... hey you want to taste real Bavarian, try this in the AM with some extremely fresh Weisswurst and hot-from-the-oven Bretzeln. My Uncle considers Weizen a morning beer and this actually makes a little bit of sense....

JesseM (1158) - Margaritaville, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 31, 2008
500ml bottle from the LCBO. Pours the ideal looking Hefe, with a huge white head. Aroma: Yeasty to the max, what can I say, it’s a Hefe, think all the good characteristics of one. Flavour: See ’Aroma’. Haha, well it’s a tad sweeter than some other Hefe’s I’ve had, but in this case it helps balance the sour bite of the yeast. Malty, no hops whatsoever, plenty of citrus, nice spicy bite in the finish, a touch of clove. Not as much banana as I tend to like, but the key here for me is the moderate effervescence, because overly carbonated Hefe’s are just terrible (and almost killed me once). Lady’s and gentlemen, for my 300th rating, I give you, Bavarian Wheat Beer. The first time a milestone rating has actually been anything decent for me. After a bad experience with too much Hefeweizen, I went through a period where it made me nauseous. This beer has changed that, and allowed me to enjoy the style again! Thank you Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan! (I’ll expect a cheque in the mail for this promotion; I don’t work for free you know).

Dezzilu (226) - Whitmore Lake, Michigan, USA - MAY 31, 2008
I was a bit perplexed by this beer because although it is a German Hefe I thought it reminded me more a Belgium White beer because of the more complex taste and the hint of lemon in the aroma. Regardless, this is an excellent beer that would satisfy me on most nights (except on a bitter winter evening). Cheers.