overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 3081   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   IBU: 14   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-pored white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time (always a pleasure / enjoyment), goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 26, 2002
Poured a nice cloudy gold with a big white head.Nose of citrus and spice with a little tartness. Great hefe!

caesar (7165) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - JUL 23, 2002
Outstanding spicy aroma. Beautiful yellow color. Not very complex, but very good!

SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2002
I agree that this may be the best wheat beer................................

Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUL 18, 2002
I am making a political statement with my rating of this beer. One, I think this is the best wheat beer on the market. Two, I love reading the ratings on this site and I respect the beer knowledge of the reviewers; however, unless its a big, high alcohol beer nothing ever merits much more than a 4.5 ranking. As king of wheat beers, I give this a 5.0. The first one I have given. And the perfect time of year ... check back in the autumn, I might have to rerate ... I think that I am lost in a moment right now.

RAUCHFEST (122) - PROSPECT PARK, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2002
had one in the keller for the token hefe beer while in the restaraunt.......

pivo (2685) - GERMANY - JUL 15, 2002
Big nose - spicy, yeasty, and bananas. Cloudy orange color. Lost a point because the head went down too quick. Fat wheaty taste with citrus tones (lemon) and banana. Chewy. Clean palette and a nice balance. Possible the standard against which all other German Wheats should be measured.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 15, 2002
Wonderful: Banana and vanilla with hints of butter. Nice cloud, murky orange body. Fullmouth taste. An Excellent Wheat!

heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUL 14, 2002
For some reason this summer I’ve been more interested in exploring belgian wits than revisiting german hefe’s, as I didn’t remember ever being wowed by a hefe before. This beer changes my opinion. It is so incredibly crisp and sharp in flavor. Not nearly as much residual sweetness as many hefes. More clovey than banana-y with restrained fruitiness. This is a superstar hefe, and I will find a place for this in my refrigerator for the rest of the summer.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - JUL 13, 2002
strong taste of banannas as is the norm for this type of beer. Yellow and cloudy appearance. Medium lacing and moderate carbonation. Decent beer.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUL 13, 2002
Very sweet. Almost like root beer. This very distinctive taste just might become a favorite of mine. I think I tasted cloves, but I think German law prohibits adding any spices to the beer. This is a great great beer!