overall
Brewed by Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Style: Doppelbock
Freising, Germany

RATINGS: 1692   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Our Korbinian, the full-bodied, dark Doppelbock with light brown foam, wins beer-lovers over with a balance of fruity hints of plums and figs, a dark malt aroma - reminiscent of toffee, nuts and chocolate. Its roasted flavour goes well with smoked meat and fish as well as venison and poultry. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Goodgrief (2057) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - JAN 26, 2008
March 2006 - I don’t even know how to rate this one. I was shocked when eaglefan538 told me it was a dopplebock, because it certainly didn’t taste like any dopple I’ve had (no sweet dark fruit flavor?). First off, I’ll say that this beer is definitely unique. Pours with seriously dark brown color, minimal head or lacing. The aroma just flew from the glass, like the flavor a mixture of chocolate malt balls and molasses. Those flavors, though, are way overdone. Have you ever had a piece of cake that, while good tasting, is just so rich that you can’t finish it? Well, this is the beer version. I’m glad the 500 ml bottle was split with my father...I had trouble getting through my half.

madquacker (1165) - Canberra ACT, AUSTRALIA - JAN 26, 2008
I don’t really get these black beers. The good ones taste only marginally better than the bad ones. I think the room for error is less. Black with a nice head. Chocolate and caramel and toffee. Good beer but not great.

ante (3373) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JAN 25, 2008
Bottled. Clear reddish brown colour with a small beige foam. Sweet and almost syrupy aroma of brown sugar, dried dark fruit, marzipan and nuts. Full sweet malty and sugary flavour of fudge, milky chocolate, syrup and butter. Long cloyingly sweet aftertaste of dark syrup, almonds and alcohol. Way too sweet, almost like a dark "malt likka".

lucke13 (91) - Des Moines, Iowa, USA - JAN 22, 2008
Decent beer, but I prefer the dunkel hefe. Dark brown with a nice head. Quit a bit of hops...first Weihenstephaner I’ve tried with so much. Taste is good though, just not my favorite. Good mouthfeel...slightly thick and pleasant.

dyetube (1378) - Hurst, Texas, USA - JAN 15, 2008
This beer pours a deep rich brown with a medium tan head leaving some good lacing down the sides. The smell is roasted malts and chocolate. The flavors are awesome! chocolate, maybe some figs with a good heaping of dark malts balanced out with a god hop backbone! not a lively beer as it shouldn’t be, but dry and mellow with a sweet chocolate flavor that really lingers! Well crafted beer!

beerbuzzmontreal (3487) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 15, 2008
The pour reveals a clear reddish brown color with a thick tan head. Very nice aroma of fruits, rich malt and caramel. The flavor is also very good, red fruits are accompanied by lush, rich malt and caramel. The body is light to medium with an oily texture and soft carbonation.

elelwarren (140) - SF Bay area, California, USA - JAN 15, 2008
Pint sized bottle. Very dark, like a schwartz beer or stout. Tan head, w/lots of lacing. Aroma of molasses & concord grape. Sweet, with nice chocolate bitterness mellowing the sugars, although some unpleasant licorice tones come through on some sips. Earthy hops ending.

Lowe1983 (1622) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JAN 13, 2008
Pours a dark copper color with a tan head. Aroma is of caramel malts, dark fruits, molasses, roasted malts, and some smoke. Thick on the palate. Flavor is very much the same with a dry slightly bitter finish from some floral hops. Pretty good.

BlackDonald (1126) - Gulf Shores, Alabama, USA - JAN 13, 2008
This is not my favorite example of this style, but nonetheless is a very well made beer. Has a slight heaviness, almost syrupy on the palate. The aroma is wonderful, with almost a peaty smokiness. Chocolate and cinnamon clove spice dominate the flavor. I can imagine this is a wonderful food beer.

Headbanger (4020) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JAN 11, 2008
16.9 oz bottle-A dark brown body with a small tan head and an aroma of sweetness, malt, molasses, smoke, and fruity esthers. Taste of the same with malts, chocolate, caramel, and slight coffee coming out throughout this medium to full bodied brew. I’m not a big fan of this style but I tink this brew is very well made. Great beer.