overall
Brewed by Wellington Brewery
Style: Imperial Stout
Guelph, Canada

RATINGS: 346   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A rich, dark, coffee-flavoured beer of exceptional depth and complexity; a gold medal winner.

Tatterdash (10) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 7, 2005
Pours an ominous black with a dark brown head, very thick and syrupy looking. Aroma of dark chocolate and some coffee. Taste was a lovely roasted flavour, dark chocolate, burnt toast, black coffee, amazingly good roasted finish. Creamy mouthfeel, very syrupy as is warmed. This is one of my all time favourite beers, and definitely my favourite stout. I could drink this all day, all week, forever and ever. Amen.

davidm (2080) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - NOV 12, 2010
Tap at Volo, in cask. Wonderful beer. Aromas of chocolate, apple, herbs, and alcohol. Taste is sweet, with bitter notes, and very long length. Palate is syrupy, with a full body. Black, with no head.

jbrus (4990) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - MAY 19, 2002
Strong coffee and chocolate aroma. Very dark brown, almost black, brown creamy head, good lace. Very full, roasted, light sweet, coffee, chocolate. Long roasted, almost bitter, coffee finish. I loved it. Very robust, maybe a bit overdone in the coffee flavors but still wonderful.

mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Nice Black pour with a thick tan head. Clean in flavor with rich malty aroma. Very roasty, like a Russian Imperial Stout. Well balanced bitterness. Very enjoyable.Thanks to Lubiere.

pootzboy (1737) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2004 Wow!...wadda beer!!! Comes on a distinctive crown topped old style brown liter bottle with Best before code on label dated from 6 months from production. Pours a dark coffee color that won't let light through a porter glass. The pour leaves a creamy mocha cap that stacks out of the glass then this reduces halfway through the drink to a delicate tan lace. The brew gives definitive odors of coffee, spice, cocoa and sweet roasted maltyness, licorice and molasses to the nose ...I'm twitching with anticipation at this point for the first quaff! Starts big and rich with an oily-cream mouthfeel up front...melts into a delicious complex mix of toasted malt sweetness balanced with just the right stout-hop astringency and some complex mocha-spice tastes...then the finish is medium dry...just perfect (I personally dislike overly dry stouts) I don't know what Wellington was thinking when they named this a stout...it has many of the characteristics of a Russian imperial porter...and that's fine with me...it may also explain why many of the stout fanciers who try this brew (and are used to the dry Irish stout types) say it is too sweet. It may be.... by that frame of reference but I think it more aptly should be judged as a rich full strength Baltic porter. I love this thick rich heady brew call it imperial stout with a sweet twinge or a Canadian version of a good Baltic porter...I still love this beer!!

Canuckistani (41) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 3, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2006 Hrm.... what to say. This is a strong beer, with noticeable sweet soy sauce aroma, which thankfully manifests itself only with a sweetness in the flavour. Mild alcohol, hardly noticeable when you consider how much is in it. Easy to drink too much without realizing it, I’m sure. Light carbonation helps the flavour come through without a coke-like burn on the palate. Good beer, but takes some getting used to. It took me a whole hour to get through one bottle. Sweet if you let it sit on the tongue for a while. Slight coffee flavours. Drinking a second bottle several weeks later made me decide to get it again.

cturnbu (2) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2013 does not count
Aroma is slightly fruity with a fairly robust chocolate smell. Flavour is well balanced and one of my favorite stouts. Aroma, alcohol taste, malts, etc. Is just right and not overdone. Well done!

bumpgrrl (1) - Guelph, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 20, 2016 does not count
One of my all time favourite stouts.Rich, dark, coffee and an almost chocolate flavour. Crazily full-bodied with a long finish. One of my "chewy" standards.

omhper (25119) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - OCT 19, 2002
Bottled. Very black with brown head. Hoppy licorice aroma. Very dry and nicely malty and a little chocolatey. I really appreciate the fact that they’ve made a stout this big so dry.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAY 17, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2004 This is about as good of a bottle of imported Imperial Stout I’ve had. I suppose the other contender is Sam Smith, but this is a bit easier driniking. Nice lasting bubly head and smooth as hell. Fantastic balance of everything. Maybe better with ageing, but I grabbed a freshie to see how it is now and this doesn’t dissapoint at all. Full bodied and freakin great.