overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston's)
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1439   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

Quack-Duck (9540) - Down South, GERMANY - SEP 4, 2009
bottle, Waitrose Abergavenny. I must have spent a little fortune there. Deep golden colour, mid-sized head. Aroma of malt and banana. Malty, fruity not as much banana flavour as in some Bavarian Hefeweizen beers... The finish is a bit too bitter, in my opinion, and doesn’t suit the sweet banana middle-part too well. Still an interesting and nice experience.

Ingevara (910) - SWEDEN - SEP 1, 2009
So how did they manage to get the banan flavor out of the beer? They didn’t! They never even tried. And the truth is that it isn’t nearly as disturbing as I had imagined. Wells banana bread beer is a very decent ale with a hoppy bitterness, refreshing depth and a dry lingering aftertaste. And - in addition to that - this banana frutiyness that I’ve never seen in a beer before, but doesn’t harm at all. Not the best beer I’ve had, but far from the worst.

MrHomebrewz (2) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 31, 2009 does not count
Was actually shocked by how good this beer tastes and smells. A : straight forward aroma of fresh bananas. T. up front sweet banana flavor ,followed by traces of fruit. F. smooth mouth feel

Hbuck72 (177) - Chickasha, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 29, 2009
Pours a dark brown, with a pleasant aroma of Bananas and grains, not sweet or over powering, nicely balanced. Taste is of toasted grains with a banana after taste.

User29624 (1687) - - AUG 21, 2009
Every time I have seen this beer on the shelf I have always wondered about giving it a try and I finally caved. Split a bottle with my friends. Pours sort of a dark gold with a thin head. Wow...banana aroma like you would never believe, mixes well with some spices. The flavor had banana in it, but wasn’t overly sweet. The body with a bit thin. Not a bad banana beer, but I just couldn’t see how often I would actually drink one. Worth a try at least once though.

darkguardian (733) - Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2009
16oz bottle. How anyone can give this below an 8 for aroma is beyond me. Amazing real banana aroma (and they did use real banana’s so props for that) . Huge banana nose with toasted malts to give it some breadiness. Flavor is kinda boring but unoffensive. Light banana and some nice grainy malt flavors. Slight bitterness. This is just a very basic beer but nothing really bad about it and the aroma is quite astonishing.

TBone (18547) - Pori, FINLAND - AUG 18, 2009
Bottled (@home, BB 2008?).
Bottle from chriso, thanks Chris. Red color, good beige head, some particles. Metallic cellary aroma. Toffee, some banana and metal. Also cellary. Banana flavors are harmless. but this bottle is a bit off, so needs to be rerated sometime.

buzzoven (376) - JAPAN - AUG 17, 2009
Caramel toffee colour. Blooming thick solid head and lots of tiny bubbly carbonation. Smells of...you guessed it, bananas. Taste was less banana and more spicy and bitter than what I was expecting. There was a fairly strong hop presence that seemed in conflict with some of the banana’s sweeter aspects and the flavours dived into rotten banana peel teritorry as it warmed up. Interesting to try once, but hard to imagine reaching for this consecutevely.

0.8
andersand (531) - Malmö, SWEDEN - AUG 11, 2009
Frightingly clear with a small, big bubbled off-white head. Aroma is banana and metal, flavour is light with synthetic banana, especially in the horrible finish that truly overstays it’s welcome. Mouthfeel is rather light, doesnt disturb me, carbonation is fine, doesnt distrurb me. Flavour and aroma disturbs me.

Sigmund (8010) - Tau, NORWAY - AUG 8, 2009
500 ml clear bottle, bought at Systembolaget, Sweden. ABV is 5.2%. Deep golden to amber colour, moderate white head. Fairly strong artificial banana aroma, not very pleasant, kind of sickly actually. The flavour is somewhat better than the aroma, notes of artificial "banana" candy throughout, but the sweetness is not overpowering, and there are notes of malts, toffee and hops too. The finish is reasonably hoppy. Would I drink it again, if for free, in order not to insult the host? Yes I would. Will I (ever again) pay good money for it myself? No way!