overall

RATINGS: 1443   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

duff (5486) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 30, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2003 Sweet banana start, quite malty (and yes, bready) flavour. Slightly burnt finish. Kind of reminded me of banana bread with burnt crust.

Kåstå (1272) - Mol, BELGIUM - JUN 19, 2002
Light brown-redish with a distinct banana aroma. The taste is not sweet; the banana is there but not as dominant as one might expect. Bitter dry aftertaste. A well controled beer.

mattaku99 (2) - - JUN 13, 2002 does not count
I bought this for the novelty value, and was actually pleasantly surprised. Has a deep amber colour, although the head disappears perhaps a little too fast for my taste. The aroma of banana is pronounced, but it doesn't overwhelm the flavour of what is a perfectly servicable ale - in fact, the banana flavour seems well integrated and balanced by a hoppy bitterness. Wouldn't drink it every day, but have had it since and will certainly be trying it again.

OlJuntan64 (1264) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUN 13, 2002
Cola brown clear with small evaporating head. Natural banana esters dominate aroma, and maybe there is a faint hoppy something there as well. This beer is actually surprising because although the aroma is banana dominated the palate and flavour are not and this is a damned fine beer. The body is medium to light, and not too sweet or cloying. The palate is clean and leaning towards dry bitter end of the scale. The banana sweet aroma is very well balanced by a hop bitter traditional english ale flavour. Pleasantly refreshing fruity sweet then bitter dry finish. I bought this to drink as desert beer but I would now drink it almost anywhere where you'd any other beer.

LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 17, 2002
Only tried at the Danish beer festival 2002: The bananas are evident in aroma as well as flavour. The resulting fruitiness was too sweet for me, however. Might work with some desserts.

Mads Langtved (2240) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - MAY 15, 2002
I like the taste, like liqueur, but the palate is unfortunately not very much like the taste.

jonas (8542) - Garching close to the monks, GERMANY - MAY 13, 2002
Dark amber color, extreme bananaaroma, which I did not percieve as artificial as opposed to Jacob in the rating below. The beer has a medium body, which easily could be heavier and maltier to fit the 'bread' part of the name. What can i say, I like bananas :-)

Hildigöltur (5103) - København, DENMARK - MAY 11, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2004 Smells of bad artificial banana. The taste is weak and skunky with a slight touch of banana. When I visited the brewery I did not see a single banana.

neilrichards (191) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - MAR 25, 2002
Really nice banana smell and taste. Not too sickly, with a good balance between ale flavours, strength, and fruit.

rauchbier (3956) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - MAR 25, 2002
The first taste of real ale I had was in a small country pub in the wilds of rural Lincolnshire. It tasted (to me) like alcoholic banana milkshake and instantly converted me to guinness which I then drank exclusively for the next 5 years. So when I saw this on the shelf of my local store I expected a vile concoction but have to say I was wrong. The banana aroma hits you straight away but there is also a nice balance of hops. Good bronze colour but a shortlived head. In the mouth the bananayness is apparent but again doesnt overpower and there is room for hints of sweet malt and hop flavour. The palate and aftertaste is soft and smooth and gives you gorilla breath for a while. Will sell because of its novelty but would also get a few repeat purchases on its taste.