overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1432   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

Bamaboy1975's rating

Bamaboy1975 (248) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name. Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize. Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch. Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew. I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses. I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Grumbo (3980) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - NOV 19, 2017
Bottle. Backlog rating from bottle collection and historic scoring. Source not recorded. No tasting notes kept, just rating.

SamVimes21 (567) - - NOV 12, 2017
Bottle on P&O Aurora , Cruise ship , dark copper coloured with white head with a malty , hoppy and banana taste leaving a malty banana aftertaste which was a bit to much by the end of a pint .

kryon (3848) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - NOV 11, 2017
Pours clear copper with low white head Aromas sweet notes of banana bread, caramel, hints of fudge Taste has notes of banana candy, caramel, fudge, herbs

foodgazer (37) - MALAYSIA - NOV 3, 2017
A peculiar yet pleasant beer. The immediate top notes are a melow, muddled malt that almost immediately give away to the most brilliant bright burst of banana. Much like its colour (a pale brown-orange shade), it’s light, refreshing and very accessible. It Was Written is the best Nas album.

dorain (652) - Berlin, GERMANY - OCT 26, 2017
Aus der Flasche im 2016-08 getrunken. Das hier ist eine typisch britisches Bitter wo ein deutlicher Bananearomen mit dem Bier sehr gut harmoniert. Spannend und Lecker.

gunnernic (18) - SOUTH AFRICA - OCT 20, 2017
Great beer, but I love bananas, so if you love bananas, go bananas on this beer!

LeoAndrade (4) - - SEP 28, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2017 Cerveja Dourada, com média formação de espuma, corpo médio. Aroma pão e banana. sabor idem. Não agradou meu paladar.

bokas5 (16) - Prijedor, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA - SEP 23, 2017
Yet another wells beer that is great! Bottle, supermarket. Recommended to all ale lovers.

Henrique Crivelli (1) - - SEP 23, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2017 Cerveja bem enjoativa, corpo médio-denso, com sabor desequilibrado, pendendo demais para banana madura.

neandertaal (79) - ESTONIA - SEP 23, 2017
Kerge banaan on lõhnas ja maitses tunda, aga muidu suht ilmetu, pea olematu kehaga, jook.