overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1511   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

Bamaboy1975's rating

Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name. Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize. Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch. Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew. I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses. I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

FinnIckler (417) - GERMANY - JUN 20, 2017
Bottle from indigo yard. Nose is banana, bit artificial, bubblegum, honey, citrus. Palate is some banana, some bread, some sherry, very sweet. Weird. Ok.

Moebbels (792) - FINLAND - JUN 10, 2017
Clear orange body with a huge, fluffy well lasting head. Sweet nose with notes of banana, caramel, honey and metal. Sweet bananabread flavor with a moderate smooth bitterness. Soft carbonation and light, splashy palate. Decent sweet flavorful beer.

Jorn69 (3103) - Ängelholm, SWEDEN - MAY 25, 2017
@ Havregatan 20170525. Bottle (330 ml) from Systembolaget. Courtesy of Totte. Malty and bready with some light roasted notes, ripe banana, artificial feeling, mid sweet, medium body with an oily texture. The finish is dry, mid bitter and malty.

the_beergery (61) - - MAY 19, 2017
330 ml bottle ageing in the fridge for a few months, so may have been a bit past its peak. Pours a hazy amber tone with a strong white head of foam. The froth dissipates relatively quickly leaving some sticky lacing, but reappears with swirling later. Unfortunately, I don’t detect the fabled bananas and bread in the bouquet, which I find are dominated by the traditional ale aromas - cereal, bread and dough in an earthy sort of way. In the mouth, however, a light taste of bananas is detectable, though it does not last too long before it is subsumed under the malty ale flavours. Overall, it tastes lightly sweet, with an average level of carbonation. Mouthfeel, however, is rather thin and a bit watery, hence a bit of a let down at the end.

cmacklin (1124) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAY 11, 2017
500ml bottle. Pours a clear amber-orange with a small, short lived, off-white head that laces. Sweet aroma of overripe bananas and bready malt. Sweet flavour of bready malt, banana, toffee, sugar, corn and vanilla with a dry, bitter finish. Light to medium body with a watery texture and soft carbonation. Ok.

TomHendriksen (469) - NETHERLANDS - APR 17, 2017
Fles gedronken in Budapest, geprobeerd met Roelzie1986 en Koenvd bij beer point.

adrewtoremember (1) - Virginia, USA - APR 9, 2017 does not count
Delicious! I was recommended this at an office party and I fell in love with it. Easily one of my favorites!

BeerSensei40 (1) - - APR 2, 2017 does not count
It tastes exactly as it sounds. Like banana bread soaked in a nut brown ale. Very little bitter taste with a clean finish.

ehaak26 (480) - - MAR 17, 2017
Pint Night at Pazzo’s. Aroma is pretty much exactly like banana Runts, taste is slightly sweet.

autos5 (266) - Szczecin, POLAND - MAR 11, 2017
Degustowane przed założeniem konta na RateBeer. W celu uzupełnienia profilu.