overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1420   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

179702473 (2) - - JAN 25, 2013 does not count
Great beer has a slight banana taste but not overwhelming. Very easy to drink. Not sweet as you would think.

HekeAC (3) - MEXICO - FEB 22, 2013 does not count
Excellent flavour, color and body. One of my favorites. I highly recommend it, it’s amazing.

Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name. Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize. Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch. Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew. I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses. I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

TonyHiscox (1) - Harlech, WALES - FEB 26, 2014 does not count
Far and away my favourite Beer, Tasty Alcoholic with a pleasant after taste

willycoolj (2) - WALES - MAR 15, 2015 does not count
The best beer I have had, fantastic nom nom nom 🍻👍👅

adrewtoremember (1) - Virginia, USA - APR 9, 2017 does not count
Delicious! I was recommended this at an office party and I fell in love with it. Easily one of my favorites!

HopsDoctor83 (16) - Walsall, West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUL 8, 2017
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2017 My favourite liquid pudding tasting of bread, dough, banana, amber, clear, frothy, medium sweetness, lightly bitter, medium body, creamy, lively, long finish, nice after taste. Good any time of the day

BrianHagmeier (299) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - APR 9, 2009
You bastards! How dare you make my all but perfect beer. Who do you think you are over there at Wells & Youngs? Are you the bastard child of a franziskaner monk and a Ninkasi herself? Pours a B-E-A-utiful sparkling red/amber with just enough head and aroma of pilzner and perfectly ripe bananas. Then it drinks exactly like it smells. NO small task in beer making. OUT FN STANDING!

bzoot (5) - Lake Jackson, Texas, USA - OCT 29, 2013 does not count
I love this beer. I love how they got the taste of banana bread in the beer. Wells was introduced to me by a friend who works at Brew Exchange on 6th st. in Austin, Tx. Couldn’t thank her enough.