overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1432   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

Leighton (22327) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 8, 2010
Pours a light orange-brown with a very bubbly, white head. Nose holds extreme banana, some light malts. Flavor has some banana to it but it doesn’t match the intensity of the aroma. I wish it was sweeter. A tad creamy, this beer brings to mind banana cream pie. I wish the beer had more body, though. Finish is crisp. Interesting and decent, but as it is I wouldn’t put it above novelty status.

gservo (23) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 3, 2010
This was and interesting beer full of character and potential , the banana flavor was a little fake. I wish this beer were a little more malty, it would of made it better

thegreenrooster (4562) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 30, 2010
Pour is a copper with a small white head. Aroma is a decent amount of the banana with maybe some cinnamon in there. Flavor is way too sweet. Then follows with some bland malts and a more artificial banana. Now here is a beer that I can say is like something I have never had but that doesn’t mean I would need another.

docsteigs (542) - Texas, USA - JUL 31, 2010
Okay. Aroma very banana laden and a little overwhelming. Taste also a little strong w banana. Worth trying but for the banana flavor I’d stick with a readitional hefe

arone12 (934) - Maryland, USA - AUG 12, 2010
Pours a golden color. Smells richly of bananas. Taste is of bananas and more bananas! Fairly tasty

dagimp (1008) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2010
From a 330ml bottle into a snifter. Pours moderate brown with a finger or two of head. Aroma is of banana...check. Mouthfeel is medium with a lot of carbonation. I’d like it a bit thicker, like banana bread really is... and less carbonation. Taste is bananaey, with some clove and bubblegum. Not a bad beer. I’m glad I tried it. I wouldn’t go out of my way to try it but if it was on tap or cask, I’d happily drink it. Cheers!

BlackEyePA (574) - USA - DEC 7, 2010
Pretty decent. i liked it as I like banana nut bread and this beer didnt dissapoint, just a little aftertaste and overall was a nice beer. Pretty good flavor, saturated the tongue a little. Worth a try for a exotic type beer

brp10 (59) - USA - DEC 18, 2010
Title says it all. Smells and tastes like banana bread. Not my fav. But something I would drink about once a month.

sm89walt (2080) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JAN 8, 2011
568ml bottle, 5.2%. Fizzy, disappearing off-white head & a clear amber body. Artificial banana yoghurt sort of aroma with some backing notes of caramel & boiled sweets. Foam banana sweets to begin with before moving to a standard ESB malt profile and a fair grassy-ish hoppy finish. Light to medium body with medium carbonation, finishing with a decent length to the toasty/grassy combo bitterness.

wlajwl (7075) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - FEB 21, 2011
Strong banana bread flavor and aroma, otherwise a rather boring bitter that would be forgetable without the banana bread flavor.