overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston's)
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
Bedford, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 413   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Based on the Great British pudding, full of rich sticky toffee-ness.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

kansascityCW's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kansascityCW (136) - kansas city, Missouri, USA - JUN 1, 2014
Pours medium to dark brown, half finger of head. Aroma is toffee, caramel, burnt sugar. Smells great but isn’t as strong as I thought it would be. Taste is the same as aroma. Body is a little thin. Very tasty dessert beer but a little underwhelming.

Aggiebob (1547) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - APR 7, 2018
UPDATED: APR 11, 2018 Bottle. It poured clear reddish brown color with a thin beige head. The aroma is toffee and bready. The taste is very sweetbut also dry. Definitely a desert beverage.

wheresthepath (2477) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - APR 2, 2018
Bottle that Dad shared - cheers! A novelty beer from the normally underwhelming Wells stable - a recipe for disaster right? I thought so too, but I was wrong. It's the colour of a liquid sticky toffee pudding with cream on top. It smells of... you guessed it... sticky toffee pudding too. And bless my little cotton socks if it doesn't taste of a certain dessert too - it's got the dates, it's got the toffee and it's got the deep treacley richness of the sponge too. And yet... there's still a malty, earthy bitter that you can just about discern in the background. I thought that the beer wouldn't go with the sweet pud, but they've got the balance just right, with the beer being just about enough to keep a cap on the sweetness and make it ever so drinkable. It's still definitely a dessert beer (it would go well with Christmas pudding I think), but it works, and it's a whole lot of fun into the bargain. Well done Wells and I'm sorry for doubting you (although probably only sorry up until the point that I have another one of your beers).

Stuu666 (15985) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 28, 2018
Bottle at nick's. Pours golden brown, nose is toffee, grassy, floral, taste is sweet, sickly toffee, vanilla, grassy.

MetalNHopHead (2385) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - FEB 21, 2018
I probably should have known better than to get this beer for myself, but at least my companions enjoyed finishing it off for me. To the credit of Wells, this beer really does capture a lot toffee sweetness. It's too sweet for me, though. The butterscotch and artificial-tasting candy notes were cloying and one-dimensional. Definitely not a beer for me.

DraftAromas7 (76) - SERBIA - FEB 8, 2018
At first it sounded unconvincing, but this beer is surprisingly smooth. It has a nice color, and memorable taste that is explained just by its name. And it is not expensive.

dave360 (35) - - FEB 3, 2018
Wow it looked a joke at 1st but this ale really did taste like toffee I bloody loved it has gone down as one of my favourites ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

phfyysik (1653) - Tartu, ESTONIA - JAN 17, 2018
Pours brown with medium off-white head. Aroma is toffee, caramel, pudding, milky, candies, sweet. Taste is toffee, caramel, some candy syrup, a small bit bitterness, creamy, a bit watery, soft. Very nice beer!

hora_da_merenda (78) - - JAN 13, 2018
Uma sobremesa em forma de cerveja. É boa para determinadas ocasiões, mas não é para o meu paladar diário.

BeardedAvenger (1469) - Addlestone, Surrey, ENGLAND - DEC 27, 2017
Bottle from the parents. Sweet - like toffee, Funnily enough. Although without the burnt edge I'd expect from the actual pus. Dark treacle brown. Think frothy off-white head. Initial sweetness before bitterness kicks in. Has the burnt toffee edge I was expecting in the aroma. Light bodied. Slick. Flat carbonation. Long astringent finish. Perfectly drinkable but basic and tastes like additives as opposed to the real thing.

wombat23 (2244) - Texas, USA - DEC 15, 2017
33cl bottle. Pours clear dark amber with a light beige head. Aroma of sweet malt, toffee, caramel. Taste follows nose. Cloying. Maybe some butterscotch. Artificial flavoring? Not very good.