overall
Brewed by Klosterbrauerei Weltenburg
Style: Doppelbock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 1061   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
A full-bodied dark strong beer.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - SEP 28, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2010 Update Sept. 2010: seems like they’re back to what I love again! My #1 favorite again. :-)

Below is old commentary, from 2002 and updated 2006, explaining why I rated this a 4.9 out of 5, making it -- at the time -- the best doppelbock I’ve ever had. In its original manifestation, this was the beer that started me onto beer fandom. I liked it so much that I even went through the trouble of taking and providing the picture of the beer that you see to your left. Any chance I’d get (and that was rare), I’d stock up on this.

Now, I am very disappointed that since that time, this brewer must have changed its recipe, because -- while a nice, solid, creamy German doppelbock -- it simply doesn’t live up to its old name. There’s really nothing any more that sets this apart from a number of others of its style. Before, it was about as dark a Celebrator; now it’s just the same old dark reddish-brown that you’d get with the Salvators and Optimators of 3.7 territory. Gone are the intoxicating aroma, the brown sugar, the banana bread. The only improvement was a solid head.

Selling out for the bottom line is inexplixable coming from monks. So . . . why? ______________________

Original comments:
Well, I can finally get around to offering some substantive praise for this beer. First things, though: this is a first-rate beer. I know, anything in the top 50 beers in the world is first-rate stuff, but this is top-notch stuff even amongst those beers I already considered first-rate. It was my first true introduction to how first-rate beers can be, and I’m pleased at how well it has stood up to repeated tastings.

For the substantive part: We get a Doppelbock aroma worthy of the name: a strong hint of the roasty/toasty chocolate-coffee taste to come. The appearance is a dark ruby, nearly black, though a head that reduces to about 5% of the initial size (but I can excuse this beer for that). In the taste, you have the aforementioned character, with wonderful malty character well-balanced by a hop sharpness, giving way to a full, roasty finish. (How’s this for a surprise twist: Banana-bread never tasted so fun. :-) As different as it may be from the Celebrator, I can’t say that either is clearly better, so I frankly don’t see what merits giving the Celebrator a 2/10 point edge over this. This is as close to pure liquid enjoyment as any good beer afficionado would find, even if not flawless (but no beer is, in my experience). Even given its place in the top-50, it’s underrated relative to the other brews appearing there, so I really do wonder whether those giving this anything lower than a 4/5 really realize how special this beer is, and how enjoyable a beer can be. (Maybe if malty sweetness in a beer just isn’t your thing...)

In short: a first-rate beer and arguably the best of its style; given its $2.50 or so price in a 16-oz. bottle vs. nearly $3 for a 12-oz. bottle of the Celebrator, it’s not a difficult choice for me to prefer this. Where I can find it, it’ll remain plentifully-stocked in my fridge.

DerNorweger (39) - NORWAY - MAR 2, 2011
Den beste dobbelbokken jeg har drukket. Ølet er lagret på 3 grader 40 meter i et fjell ved Donaus bredder, nærmere bestemt i klosterbryggeriet Weltenburg. Asam Bock har en kraftig rødbrun farge, et fyldig mykt og sammensatt øl preget av mørk malt. Snev av pære og sitrusliknede frukt, karamell, snev av kaffe og humle. Middels bitter med lang ettersmak med fint søtt preg som setter seg i kropp og sjel. Et øl som preges av ekte råvarer og en ekte gammeldags bryggerprosess. Ein starker nachtdunkler rotartige Doppelbock, der es in sich hat. Malzig, vollig aromatisch, süsslig, angenehm schwer, intensiv in Duft, stark im Geschmack. Eine weltbekannte Spezialität wie sein barocker Namensgeber, der maler und Baumeister Cosmas Damian Asam. Das Bier kann man länge lagern, es wird nur besser.

Grzesiek79 (4435) - Radom, POLAND - JAN 22, 2012
coffee, resin, nuts, herbs, basement aromas, leather, cooked vegetables, smoke, skunky, butterscotch, woody, golden, clear, head, sparkling, rocky head, brown foam, medium sweetness, very bitter, medium sourness, umami, bitter, long finish, flat, creamy, oily feel, full body,

cionco (4) - California, USA - AUG 7, 2012 does not count
Wow!! Great example of a dunkle-bock! Terrific!! Will look for this one again -- for sure!