Westbrook Citrus Ninja Exchange (2012)

overall

RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Our double IPA collaboration with The Charleston Beer Exchange. Last year’s batch was a single-hopped Cascade double IPA brewed with 50 lbs of fresh grapefruit and was released on draft only. This year’s version (in our opinion) blows the first batch out of the water. The malt bill is simplified, resulting in a lighter, drier beer – which allows the massive hop additions to shine through. A mix of fresh grapefruit, lemons, limes, and oranges was added to the boil, and this batch also features a blend of several different American and New Zealand hop varieties, instead of just Cascade.

OldStyleCubFan (77) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 9, 2012
Growler from Piggly Wiggly Myrtle Beach. Nice orange color....slight head. I was surprised to see this is an all Cascade beer....I thought it was some funky new hop blend or something. Seems like a big waste of grapefruit because I dont get much of it. It reminds me a lot of Gubna....kind of has a oniony taste to me. This is a big beer and could be called boozy and slightly malty. Really poor aroma. I want my fresh IIPS to have a big flower aroma...this has none.

Guyute_Pig (103) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 7, 2012
22oz. Nice light amber pour, with minimal head. Citrus and malts on the nose. A little malt forward with a nice bitter finish and the grapefruit really shines. Really enjoying this and wish I had grabbed several on my way through Columbia (Too close to the Gamecocks, had to run).

Steasy66 (1155) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 3, 2012
Very light in color, little head. Aroma is fruity, not much grapefruit. Taste is malty, smooth, somewhat bitter. Good palate. Decent beer, wanted more grapefruit.

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 1, 2012
Growler filled an hour before opening. Medium off-white head, clear apple juice body. Aroma is moderately sweet, orange/grapefruit. Taste is moderately sweet, pungent grapefruit/orange, some alcohol burn. Resinous medium body.