overall

RATINGS: 3077   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A reddish brown trappist ale, malty and fruit, featuring a 3 week secondary fermentation. This ale has a full, pale yellow head. The bouquet is full of esters and fruitiness. Notes of ripe banana predominate. The taste is fruity and slightly bitter, with a long, dry finish.

seuinoz (257) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - FEB 24, 2002
very good strong alcohol taste have to let it warm to room temp to really enjoy

cranesareflying (50) - Evanston, Illinois, USA - MAR 23, 2002
My perfect beer - I really don’t see what fault you could find in a beer like this, truly wonderful stuff, makes you wonder what the monks do after quaffing a few of these, but this beer has a nice, pronounced head that never disappears, a beautiful brown appearance with a touch of red, and for me, just an amazingly creamy texture, a sweet flavor, it’s unbelievably complex with a long, long, satisfying finish. I would recommend this beer to anyone. I ask you, what more could you ask for?

millyniles99 (2) - LUXEMBOURG - APR 7, 2002 does not count
The ultimate beer in every aspect. Dip your nose into its beautiful foam as soon as you can and lose yourself in the image of the old Belgian monastery where the monks probably lead a very satisfying existence.

Mufasa7270 (7) - Covington, Georgia, USA - NOV 21, 2006 does not count
I loved this beer! Nice, clear, dark red. Solid head. Flavor was fruity. I really enjoyed it!!

teebradford (51) - Senatobia, Mississippi, USA - AUG 13, 2007
Flying Saucier-Memphis. My first perfect rating. Wow. Also, my first genuine trappist ale. It came out with a special glass. Just pouring the beer and watching the fluffy head slowly dissipate was a treat in itself. Gorgeous dark color. Magical aroma: Fig, plum, raisin. Some other stuff I don’t know how to label. First sip: Heaven. Very complex with more fruit and molasses. You’d never know this was 7% alcohol. You don’t even notice it. The flavor changes slightly on the back end. Comes off a little dry. My nose burned slightly. After I swallowed, my stomach felt warm. Just a great, great brew. Save for special occasions. This stuff is expensive. $10 a bottle!

ubamartian (155) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 29, 2007
330ml Bottle. Pours an almost perfect brown, with hints of fall reds and oranges trying to peek out. The head is a creamy toasted marshmallow the slowly dissolves back into the body of the glass. A lacing of toasted foam laces the glass as the head disappears. Upon opening and pouring the beautiful bouquet of raisins and undertones of carmelized malts blossoms to fill the area with it’s uniquely magnificent scent. The anticipation of the first sip is only heightened by actually taking the first sip and realizing the tantalizing aromas are fulfilled in the rich textures and excellent blend of flavors. Rasins, malts, and prunes balanced to cradle each one as it delicously tantalizes your taste buds. The feeling is of a smooth, not light, but not heavy silky liquid that embraces your mouth and slides down the throat easily. The lingering fruity malty and just mildly alchoholic flavors blend to leave you wanting the next sip. All too soon, you have realized that your sensation of utter delight has been completed and your yearning for the next taste sensation of a Westmalle Dubbel has already begun. C’est Magnifique!

Bragesnak (5394) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAR 30, 2008
Fredagsbaren på biologi, Aarhus - Bottled Cockney Pub - on tap A miracle - perfect combination of sweetness, alcohol and carbonation Spiced and with a characteristic yeast-fruity taste

Dketelaars (1) - Burlington/Kingston, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 23, 2009 does not count
One of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, this gorgeous looking dubbel is characterized for me by its fruity taste. My personal experience with this beer evolved as I drank it, starting with an initially strong fruity taste and eventually transitioning to a more mild (comparatively more mild than the initial impression) flavour. Yeast in, yeast out, doesn’t matter; this is truly a stellar beer.

rubbishystuff (2538) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2017 Really good. I think this may get over looked some compared to their tripel. Dark loveliness. Serving: Bottle and tap

PPRubens (2) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - MAR 5, 2012 does not count
Simply my favorite beer..... No fancy adjectives would do it justice.......