overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3789   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
vwguy (4) - hoenfels, GERMANY - DEC 26, 2008 does not count
i finally got to try the number one which thanks to my brother in law who came back with it. i poured amber brown. the smell was wonderful with the spice and cider smell. the taste though i was kinda disappointed because it was number 1 but it tastes of cider and spices.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DalzAle (2030) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - DEC 25, 2008
Well I finally get to try this one thanks to a generous trade with Cletus. Pour was dark amber brown with very little carbonation. Aroma was very complex, too many things to try to describe, smells of sweet cider and red wine?!? Flavor was excellent, malty, spicy and no noticable alcohol, which was suprising considering the 10 percent ABV. Overall I have to say this was an excellent beer and Im glad I got to try it, although I dont know if I will seek it out again since there are many other Quads out there that are readily available and come in a close second place behind this one.

BadAprilia1000 (433) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 23, 2008
This has to be the best beer I have ever had. I had heard all of the hype and decided to track it down and try it. It came to my door straight from Holland in bulletproof packaging. When I finally let it chill and got to taste it I was stunned, all of the hype had been true. Everything I had heard about this beer was correct. It pours a beautiful dark brown with a creamy head. One of the best I have ever had. I wish I was a monk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale ber alles, Arizona, USA - DEC 23, 2008
BB 12/18/10

hazy auburn brown pour with a monstrous tan head. cinnamon cream colored yeast hits last and creates little designs in the fluff. very vinous aroma changes every time i go back for another sniff... white wine, brown sugar, milk chocolate, malt powder and vanilla all show up. the palate is quite spicy and has a ton of yeasty bitterness... earthy, woody, real maple syrup, concentrated malt powder and lots of chocolate chip cookie dough flavors. pleasant perfume before the dry spicy finish. it*s only mildly sweet though dry at the same time. medium body seems a bit thin considering how much is going on, the abv% and how NOT sweet it is. creamy texture is rich in the mouth but not heavy.

i really enjoy the balance, alcohol and complexity yet the sugar level is kept low making it crazy easy to drink and enjoy. sure it smells alright and tastes ok... but it*s the whole package that makes it great! now i*m ranting and at a loss for words... 9/4/9/5/19/4.6

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FatPhil (15575) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - DEC 23, 2008
UPDATED: APR 6, 2015 330ml bottle - 2007 bottle, drunk 2008/12 - Birthday gift from Anna - thanks!
Blind tasting (alongside St. Bernardus Abt, Rochefort 8 and 10, and Chimay Blue)
Deep reddy brown, creamy beige head. Grainy aroma, not as sweet as other dark trappists. Maybe it is even dry and a little woody. Soft carbonation, velvetty in the mouth. Some warming alcohol. Almondy bent, and the bitterness appears to come from the almonds. Some graininess and almost huskiness in the body, and liquorice too. Lovely hops in the finish. Adding the yeast, the liquorice builds, and over time the lovely buddy hops come over more.
3.9, but came equal 4th (with St. Bernardus Abt) out of the 5. Yes, this is a fantastic beer, but looking at most peoples comments, their numbers are complete bull inflated purely by the rarity of the brew, and by the fact that they already know in advance what the beer is.
Rerate: 330ml bottle - shared by Kairi, a million thanks! BB 2017-09-17 (8:4:7+:4:15=3.8+)
Woh, super almondy cherry, but also porridgy aroma. Very mellow palate. Looked great obviously. Lovely sweet malty body, tons of almond, Wonderful bitter finish, love those hops. Hooray for old-world hops. Damn, this is good. Love the nuttiness. But this would really benefit from ageing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hrking (140) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2008
This is an awesome brew. Lots of candi sugar and not heavy on the annoying clove corriander like some Belgians. Highly and dangerously drinkable.A true find worth searching out for those who have yet to try it..Best in the world? But worth seeking for sure..I must admit though this is a must try! Cheers

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Martinus (4588) - Baarle-Nassau, NETHERLANDS - DEC 20, 2008
great and overwelming taste.. Wonderful malts. And the difficulty to obtain it seems only to add to the flavour. However, besides the rarity, I cannot objectively say that it is much better than rochefort blue. Or maybe not YET, since I never tasted them next to each other. Next time I can obtain a larger amount of bottles I will try to make a blind tasting of the two to really compare.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
markwise (5422) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - DEC 19, 2008
Thanks cigarcitybrew for the share. It is great to review this beer, but I am ambivalent. I did not notice the heavens opening when I drank it, but it was a cloudy night. Pours a hazy brown color with a wicked complex aroma of dark fruit, cinnamon, spice, apple, malt, candy sugar, and yeast presence. Flavor is very similar with a nice lively sugary finish. It is hard to get and it holds its own against the other trappists, but the quest for 1st is highly contested and contestable.

sebletitje (9912) - Enghien, BELGIUM - DEC 19, 2008
UPDATED: APR 23, 2012 Updated: 2012. Tried several more times, at home and In DeVrede. Good beer? yes, best quad? not if one can take away the rare factor. My rating is similar, but I realize I had simple inflated my score based on how hard it was to get. Thanks to cigarcitybrew. Finally, got to taste enough of the holy grail of all beers to write a review. Does it really live up to its name. It is a great beer, none the less, I would not give it the credit of being the end all be all of all Trappist beers. However, it does deserve a high spot on the podium of wonderfully crafted beers. Pours dark brownish with white head. Aroma is delightfully fruity reminded me of the crisp fresh apples and yeast. Taste has plenty of dark candi sugar, fruits and good notes of caramel. Excellent sipper, wonderful when paired with a good cheese. A review cannot possibly do this beer justice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
DocHop (278) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 17, 2008
Best girlfriend in the world got me 2 for my birthday!! Tasting my first. Bottle dated 22 01 11: Perfect pour, an almost black copper with a tall beige head full of tiny, frothy bubbles. Wonderful rich aroma of cherries, vanilla, caramel, and toasted nuts. Wow, what a huge flavor palate. Very sweet and rich flavors of cherries, dark fruit (grapes mainly), port, and apples at first but the body into the finish is a smooth, mellow vanilla with hints of alcohol and Belgian yeast. Huge flavors that come at you wave after wave and a bold but smooth mouth feel. Incredible... Not a bit disappointing even as #1.