overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3432   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.42/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

cyrenaica (1159) - Milton, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 30, 2009
330ml bottle
10.2% ABV
This is my 400th review. I tried this beer on June 25, 2009 at ’Cafe Volo’ in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Several Toronto beer bars have banded together to get several cases and sell it - and I grabbed the chance. The beer poured an opaque dark brown with an off white head...not near as dark as the St. Bernardus or Rochefort quads. The aroma knocked my socks off....fresh figs and plums, with warm yeast and sweet malt. More than satisfying. The mouthfeel was full-bodied, with mild carbonation - yet a bit thinner than other quads. The flavour again was quite complex and full of flavours when compared to St. Bernardus, and didn’t have the alcohol taste and feel I get with the Rochefort. The bitter aftertaste was even pleasant after the sweet malt and fruit tones. On aroma and taste alone, this is the best beer I have ever had. I’m knocking off points for appearance and mouthfeel as the beer was ’lighter’ than I was expecting.

BrewDad (5667) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JUN 29, 2009
Liquid Sunshine VII Tasting – Kirkland, WA
Aroma: Belgian yeast aroma was sweet like molasses.
Appearance: Brown in color, Hazy with a thin head.
Flavor: Sweet Belgian yeast flavor with a dried fruit. This was very sweet in flavor.
Palate: Dry Sweet finish, with a Good Mouthfeel.
Overall: A Totally awesome Belgian Quad.

olsvammel (7312) - Örebro, SWEDEN - JUN 28, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2011 It poured a dark liquid with some tones of red and brown. The foam was small and left no lacing. After a closer inspection I also noticed that there where some yeast in the liquid. It had an aroma of chocolate and something fruity, some red berries and something else which I couldn’t distinguish. It was also spicey with some alcohol that was fairly well hidden. The first sip was very fizzy. So fizzy in fact that I didn’t sense any flavor at all. After waiting a bit and let the fizzyness reside a bit I started to get a better grasp of the beer and it improved allot. The flavor had nuts, chocolate and red berries. It was not as intence as Westvleteren 8 a bit smoother but I actually prefered the roughness and spices in the 8. It was all very round and well balanced with a warm alcoholic finish. Re-rated after a visit at the monestary

Vas19 (313) - Maryland, USA - JUN 28, 2009
Pours hazy brown amber with a thick off white head. Aroma is very malty with notes of bread, spices, and fruit. Very intriguing aroma. Flavor is more maltiness, with hints of chocolate and molasses. Complex with a good mouthfeel. Lives up to the hype.

JackT (71) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - JUN 28, 2009
Another bottle from Ryan’s trip to Belgium, thanks. Pours dark golden brown with a thick cream colored head. Sweet apple aroma. Tastes like a blend of fruit and spice. It’s one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

VertBaconStrips (2422) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - JUN 27, 2009
***review posted July 1, 2008***
Just found this review. Dated late June ’07. Thx Brad for coughing up the dough for this... part of the Rochefort 10, Westy 12, St. B 12, Chimay Blue cellared blind tasting night. In 2007 this bottle was aged apx 1.25 years in the Beerium as I had a purchace date of May 26, 2006. Poured out a thick, cloudy dark brown with an incredible amount of fine and blobby sediment and a one finger thick tan cap. Excellent wide ropy lacing (it does disappear after awhile), retention at a thin surface cover. The aroma is awesome and never weakens throughout the tasting. A bit sweet, nice mild spice (main characteristic), slight caramel and dark fruit. Extremely well balanced but not overly complex. Touch of earth? The flavour is very well blended which has made it hard to distinguish standout tastes. Very soft yeast, absolutely no alcohol, mild mild plum, slight chocolate?, minor pepper, notable malt taste, slight peppermint / spearmint ??? I’ll correct myself as I’ve now noticed the alcohol. Man, this stuff is softer than fresh, supple kittens that have just learned to walk. A perfect amount of super soft carbonation, medium bodied. There is a back of the mouth bitterness that is very mild. The after taste is slight spice and a hint of alcohol. Excellence in a bottle.

Bosskie (956) - NETHERLANDS - JUN 24, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2014 Small head. Wooden brown opaque beer. Creamy chocolate aroma with a fruity subtly alcoholic touch. Some hops and yeast and a creamy peachiness. Cherries too. A bitter malty taste with subtle sweetness. Quite refreshing with a mellow, warm subtly alcoholic aftertaste. There are hints of all kinds of things in the beer, but it’s less subtle and well balanced than the Westvleteren 8

Imperial-John (192) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 23, 2009
Thx to Ralph at Volo. Didn’t take notes so this is from memory and won’t do it justice but if I don’t jot down notes when the hell will I have this one again. So here goes. Muddy brown with no head. Aroma hard to describe as it all blends so well. Raisin, toffee, honey, spicy, etc, etc. Flavour again hard to distinguish as it all goes together so well. As aroma indicates, toffee, raisin, honey, port. Sweet flavour explosion, tingles the cheeks and warms going down. Smooth as silk taste.

TwoDudes (77) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JUN 22, 2009
I love this beer...This is the perfect beer...complex and worth every bit of the hype..............................................

garthicus (2962) - Dublin, IRELAND - JUN 20, 2009
With thanks to a trade with Blutt59 for sending me this long sought after beer. Shared with HogTownHarry. Appearance: Thick dark, murky brown with a wispy brown head. Aroma: Too much going on! Caramel, spice, yeast, leather, rosehip, ginger, malt, alcohol, cinnamon yet somehow very muted and understated - like a torpedo, just tremendous. Flavour: Wow, spicy, malty, like a well worn leather jacket. Whiskey and woody, sticky & toffee. some spilled on my my fingers and they were sticking together. Just so much dark fruit, figs, xmas pudding, cherries, red wine, ginger again, tingling my tongue, long sticky finish, just tremendous! I can’t believe I’ve finally got the chance to have it. Thanks to Blutt59 and HogTownHarry for bringing me on this beer journey. Beer #1000