overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3374   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

kappldav123 (6122) - GERMANY - NOV 28, 2008
Finally I have this legendary beer in my glass. The bottle looks really good, no label - which brewery can do that? Dark in the glass, almost black, nice head. Starts strong and malty, modest sweetness. Notes of wood and a bit liquorice. Not as strong as exspected, very drinkable for its strength. Warming finish. Really great beer!

Travlr (25556) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Deep brown color. Strong lacy tan head. Malty, nutty aroma. Full mouth. Complex malty, vinuous, nutty flavor with hints of dates, raisins and dark cherries. Amazing complexity grows with each year of storage. I’ve tasted brews aged up to 8 years, with amazing results. Also tasted in a Westvletern-flavoured ice cream, believe it or no, at the monastery tap. In a class of its own.

Jonte (1413) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - NOV 26, 2008
Bottle. Brown colour with a lasting beige head. Aroma: Sweet toasted malt, apples, dark fruit, yeast, alcohol, spices, bread. Flavor: Sweet, a bit toasted, figs, spices, apples, caramel, raisins, alcohol. A bit of roastiness and bitterness in the finish. Full bodied.

DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - NOV 21, 2008
330 cl bottle shared with my brother, Buffalohead, and my nephew on 11/2/2008. Deep, faintly hazy ruby/brown body under a spectacular, large, creamy tan head with amazing durability, and leaving sheets and strings of sticky lace. Aroma of dark fruits, dates, figs, and raisins. A complex vinous character with hints of spice adds even more depth. Medium to full body and medium carbonation, slightly syrupy, but rich and creamy, lingering pleasantly on the palate. Flavor reflects the vinous aroma with dark fruity sweetness dominating. A very gentle spicy bitterness arrives late in the game, but still balances well. I had been saving this for over a year to drink for #1000, and I was afraid I might be disappointed, given all the hype. This is a phenomenal beer, richly deserving of its reputation.

bobinlondon (1297) - Harrow, Greater London, ENGLAND - NOV 21, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2012 Bottle at home with a like minded friend. Brown with light tan head. Complex alcoholic aroma. Multilayered flavours that keep developing as the glass empties. A bit sweet for me but I would love to try more.

poolboy (66) - Lafayette, Indiana, USA - NOV 20, 2008
My second favorite beer of all. Very much like the Extra 8 but a little sharper. Tastes of figs and toffee. Dark brown color with decent light tan head. Very smooth for a high alcohol beer. Well worth trying to get hold of a few bottles. I traded for mine as I understand it is not sold only at or near the brewery.

SeanMacGC (334) - Dublin, IRELAND - NOV 18, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2008 Bottle 330ml, in Westvleteren goblet. Having looked forward to sampling the Westvs with no little anticipation, and wondering whether I had been duped at all by the superlative and overwhelming hype, with the Westvleteren12, the answer is a most definite no, and it slightly outshines the Westvleteren8. Pours a dark russet, and luscious on both the nose and the palate, with an orchestra of the most melodious notes on the nose. Relatively spicy on the palate, bursting with flavours of all manner of wonderful things. A joy.

wrist (3) - DENMARK - NOV 2, 2008 does not count
Dark brown with a long lasting taste of caramel and alcohol. Very fine off white head. One of the best beer I have ever tasted.

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2008
CaryTheDude hooked me up huge on this one. This is unlike any quad I’ve ever had, and considering how highly lauded this beer is, obviously the others aren’t listening. Pours a murky, bubbling brown. Aroma has all sorts of fruits, caramels, sugars, chocolates. I’m not sure how to describe the flavor except that is lives up to the hype, and has everything you could want in a beer. An awesome experience, and a privilege to try. Thanks Dude, this was awesome.

That1Guy (2237) - Colorado, USA - NOV 2, 2008
Crushed with Jakebra. Then crushed with Honkeybra. Soon to be crushed with Dadbra. Every opinion counts. This brew is something huge. Fruity nose, and by fruity I mean every fruit you might have ever come in contact with. Body is as full as Angelina Jolie from the nape of her neck to her lipstick lips. Finishes dry and satisfying as a orgasm. In all ways a huge beer, and makes me appreciate beer at a whole new level. Want to try back-to-back with Roch 10 blindfolded and figure it out for myself.