overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3830   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

Tweety (377) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 27, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2009 Big thanks to Jason for this one. Pours brown with a little slightly off-white head. Nothing too special to look at. Flavor and aroma are lots of dark fruits, with brown sugar and a lot of sweetness. Obviously this beer is well-regarded, as it should be, but to me itís just not the best beer Iíve had.

dimavirsla (5) - sombor, SERBIA - JUL 27, 2008 does not count
Faint aroma. I couldnít help it, I was quite disappointed by the smell, but the taste of this is excellent. Very sweet, but the complexity never makes it cloying. So many fruits in this.. Excellent brew, but is this the best in the world? I can imagine this being to sweet for me on some days, Iíd rather have a Rochefort 10 then...

Rogueone (506) - I F&ckiní hate those guys from, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2008
Mad props to Tony at Oldsmar Tap House for the Westy 8, 12, and Blonde side-by-side. Judging by appearance alone, one would have no idea that this is the highly-regarded nectar of God Himself, as it is quite an unattractive brown liquid just sitting in a snifter. Aroma and corresponding flavors are as complex as a Thanksgiving feast -- spicy figs, dates, brown sugar, touches of honey and molasses, rich malts, nutmeg all over top subtle warm alcohol. Definitely a complexity of flavor that is unrivaled to date for me personally. Itís an absolutely stunning beer that lives up to its reputation.

arepeejee (3) - , South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - JUL 20, 2008 does not count
Quite simply the best beer I have ever tasted. The initial petrol/diesel waft melts quickly into an excellent palate taste of spice and warmth. Just edges St Bernadus for me, but only due to rarity making drinking a bottle a special occasion (as opposed to the St Bern’ which I can get in my local pub)

ahalloin (54) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 19, 2008
A 12 oz. bottle split courtesy of a dude who doesn’t have a screen name or account on here. I was very thankful for getting to try this famous brew! Pours a dark brown nondescript looking fluid with great whitish tan head with adequate lacing. The aroma is of trappist yeast, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and slight alcohol. The mouthfeel is smooth but adequately carbonated. The flavor is classic trappist with spicy cinnamon and sugar with hints of dried fruits. All bow to the great Westy 12!

MuttyD (93) - Cambridge, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Lived up to the hype. Huge dark fruits and slight roastiness aroma. Figs, brown sugar, bread, plums, other dark fruits and cookie flavor. Finish is long and sweet. Syrupy mouth feel. Amazing beer. I bought 6 of them and I’m going to age 2 of them. Can’t wait to try them in a few years.

MrChopin (4304) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 18, 2008
So this is THE big one... ahem. Pours dark ruby/brown with billowy off-white head. I donít normally mention lacing, but this leaves loads of it all over the glass, kind of like abstract art that draws in yet another sense. Iím trying to find something consistent in the nose, but there isnít one single element: loads of raisins and raspberries, then peaches, then smoky Rodenbach-esque fruit sour refreshment, then malts that remind of bread and brown sugar, then a warm alcohol that gives it an incredible depth and weight. Moving on before it evaporates... The flavor is very similar to the nose, a little more bread and dark fruit. The alcohol is really minor but begins to emerge with warmth, as do some sticky bitterness and salt. The beer is effortless in itís glide and soooo smooth given the weight. The Rochefort 10 is a messy sledgehammer by comparison, but it seems unfair to place Rochefort up against this giant... are they really the same style? The outstanding complexity here is matched by an incredible delicacy, something I havenít seen in any other Abt/Quad. Yeah, this oneís worth all the hype.

Foam (5) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 13, 2008 does not count
Candy brown sugar molasses candy nutmeg / wormwood spice ... A very over hyped beer IMHO .. St. Bernardus abt 12 is just as good and some people will say it’s better and less money too ...

Sandman2222 (42) - Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2008
Thanks to kiefdog for letting me experience this treasure of the beer world. Amazing Belgian Trappist Ale. Candy sugar, plum, and malt smell. Taste (besides phenomenal), Candy sugar, plum and other dark sweet fruit, a bit of oak towards the end, and a wonderful sweet creamy taste. It was a wonderful treat from the day to day.

mattmc1973 (479) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUL 11, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2008 Rating #100! The elusive, unicorn of a beer, got it in a trade from deepsouth. Pours a mahogany brown, with very small head, and a murky body. Aroma is of dark fruit, brown sugar, and alcohol. Taste not as great as the aroma would indicate. Taste is of dark fruit, strong alcohol, and a bit of acidic/medicinal bitterness. Unless I got a bum bottle, itís good, but not the greatest by any means. I put St. Bernardus Abt 12 well above it. Update: I shared the 2nd bottle I acquired in this trade last night at Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice. It was much better than the first bottle. Incredible aroma, and richness of taste. So I am upping my scores to reflect this. Great stuff!