overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3432   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.42/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

Homer321 (5250) - Melboring, Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2008
bottle from belginbeergirl, and mcbackus shared. poured into a wide mouthed duvel glass. nose is full of candi sugar and fresh fruit, like a young old ale. alcohol is also present and increases as it warms. slight molasses feel. Much thicker mouthfeel than most belgians. seems to lack complexity. spicy notes are evident as it warms. mouthfeel is velvet-like with not carbonation bite. very little carbonation overall leads to a slightly chewy factor. nice lacing for so much alcohol.

mcbackus (758) - Merritt Island, Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2009 bottle from belginbeergirl: purs a very murky brown decent tan head that lingers into a swirling film. aroma is a very nice sweet fresh fruit (fig i believe) and a candi sugar, slight yeast spice and a very very small alcohol. flavour is a great almost candy gumballs start the flavour then a great ueast with hints of spices, awesome malt and slight vinous, extrememly smooth and near perfect in flavour.

DrnkMcDermott (3176) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 28, 2008
33 cl bottle bought 2005. Well, I shared this with my dad and two brothers, and they asked, "Was this everything it’s cracked up to be?" Gotta admit it was not quite. Then again, the actual beer could never match up to its rep. Even as a Belgian Quad, I’ve ended up being more excited about Delerium Tremens or Atomium. Or maybe a family gathering is a little too stressful to actually enjoy a beer. I will say: Beautiful smooth brown pour with a short head. Smell of figs, raisins and Belgian brown sugar (not too much of the latter). Taste bring out those fruits, with the added sensation of fruit leather and Belgian malts. What I realize is that this is not a great "extreme" beer: there is nothing going over the top for the sake of bragging rights. No, the Trappist brothers were never into that. What I have instead is a well-practiced beer that balances in almost every respect instead of overwhelming the senses. If I ever spot another bottle (got this at Cardinal Liquors in Frankfort, IL, but that was a few years ago, so I’m not adding that place here), I will re-try by myself.

chandahar (3) - Westfield, New York, USA - AUG 28, 2008 does not count
A wonderfull brew full of flavor with an well defined head. Pours smooth and is very refreshing. It has a slow linger on the palate that compliments the start and the finish is incredible. This brew rivals the big names in Color, flavoe, finish, and overall score in my book.

Borresteijn (7608) - Zaandam, NETHERLANDS - AUG 27, 2008
Same as with the 8, had this @ in de Vrede with a massive hangover from my trip to Bruges, so this rating needs revision someday. Great deep dark brown colour, beige head. Aroma of dark fruits, raisins, malts, caramel, alcohol. Flavour is sweet, alcoholic at first, raisins, malty, a bit yeast, slightly bitter finish. Very fullbodied, creamy palate.

Bigmmartin (620) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 26, 2008
[Rating 200] Bottle shared with 1_2many. Looks better than the 8, with a larger head and much more lacing. The aroma is also stronger, but with a similar smell of raisins, doughy bread, and yeast. Flavor is great...caramel, raisins, rich sweet malt and a little bit of alcohol. Not as extremely drinkable as the 8, but still very smooth. Excellent carbonation, very present but doesn’t choke you on the way down. I have to drink this beer again.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Bottle thanks to Belgianbeergal. The only thing I’ll complain about is that my glass is empty, and I want to become a monk so I can be around this beer all the time. Aroma is amazing. Raisins, rich caramel, figs, with a little yeast. Very sweet fruit, caramel, bread flavor. Alcohol is well hidden and the carbonation is very enjoyable. Great smooth feel. Not too heavy or light. If I make it into heaven this beer will be there.

paiste2002 (186) - Saugus, California, USA - AUG 24, 2008
This one is an absolute classic! The aroma is wonderful! sweet, caramel, toffee, raisin and fruits. The flavor rich and very complex again sweet yet some what bitter, alcohol, caramel, raisin, spicy. Overall this is one of the best beers in the world, perfect! YMMV

RoyceH (1200) - Hesperange, LUXEMBOURG - AUG 24, 2008
Bottled. Stunning one to have for #1000 - thanks to both ygtbsm94 and Ungstrup for providing me with a bottle of this. Pours a deep reddy-brown with a thin beige head. After a careful pour, I had a sniff. Nose is strong, wow, alcohol, dark fruit, malt, almost sour plum, toffee, very complex. Mouth is very very punch-in-the-face strong, malty, slightly bitter, alcohol, spirit, grassy, almost a gin floralness, then becoming sweeter and more rounded, with some spiciness. Lots of complex dark fruit, even some espresso and chocolate in tiny quantities. Finishes quite malty and some biscuit, with some warming fruit. Saved this for my 1000th, sat at the window, looking out across a rainy Luxembourg, in perfect silence. Then a Boeing 747 soared overhead at about 700ft, and I realised why I was here, why I was drinking this beer, and why I love the Benelux. Setting: Perfect. Beer: Pretty good, too!

yalnikim (802) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 22, 2008
Tasted 26/07/2008. 330ml bottle carried all the way from the UK by hand, through the Green-Watt connections, to Wellington. Then on to Invercargill, via Queenstown on the most amazing flight I’ve ever experienced, to finally share with Sam and Steve the night before we kicked off Yeastie Boys. Thank you Richard - you’re a legend. Firstly: has anyone else had bottles with sediment that is almost 1/3 of the bottle? The beer: Ho hum, to be perfectly frank. Pleasant. There’s another bottle in the cellar, so it’ll be interesting to see if another look is any more impressive.