overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3432   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.42/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - JUL 10, 2008
It doesn’t get any better than this. Like liquid candy. Everything about it is just spectacular. Mmm good.

Prometheus (160) - Bamberg, Bavaria, GERMANY - JUL 9, 2008
Dark amber in color with nice head. Delicate aroma that’s hard to catch. Great, silky flavor, with lots of complex flavors. A little expensive, but whaddya do.

fvillell (1) - , BELGIUM - JUL 9, 2008 does not count
I drunk it directly in the pub in front of the abbey. When I need a tasty beer I take my car and run to St Sixys Abdij. I think it is by far the best beer that I have ever drunk, a different experience, it is soft smooth and strong. The best combination is with the pate’ and the bread that the monks prepare themself.

badbeer (434) - Iowa, USA - JUL 5, 2008
Date on bottle says best before 11/1/09. Poured into a Rochefort chalice. Poured a really dark amber brown with an off white head that stayed throughout the glass and left some lacing. Smell is a little lighter than I expected, but still plenty of dark fruits and spices, with a little bit of a sour smell detected. Taste was much of the same, didn’t really detect any sourness that I found in the nose, also I couldn’t detect the alcohol. Even with my expectations of this beer being very complex, it still caught me a bit offguard, it was very nice, nearly perfect. Medium bodied, with a light to medium amount of carbonation; it was smooth with a slightly dry finish to it. Drinkability was incredible, alcohol was not to be found and it seemed to go down just as easy as a 3.2% cask ale, I had to hold myself back from drinking this too fast. The best beer in the world? Maybe. My favorite beer? No, maybe with some age though. A damn fine beer worth seeking out? Absolutely.

dwaggs2 (1298) - Jefferson City, Missouri, USA - JUL 3, 2008
UPDATED: APR 8, 2009 It was good to finally try the beer with all the hype. For the most part it lived up to the hype. The beer was better then average and better then I thought it was going to be. It has all the smells in it like a belgium beer does fig, plum, molasses, etc. It starts smooth and warms as it goes. If you ever have the opportunity to try this beer do. It was worth every penny. This beer can get very pricey. But once never killed anyone. Especially for one of the best beers in the world

daddyslick (36) - Arizona, USA - JUN 28, 2008
Very drinkable beer. It pours dark amber in color. It smells of molasses, cinnamon, caramel, and a little nutty. The taste is very close to a combination of these flavors. IT truly was a great beer.

CH-303 (2407) - Fribourg, SWITZERLAND - JUN 27, 2008
I had been saving the Westvleteren 12 bottle for a few months, and decided to celebrate reaching the halfway point of the 300-book with it.
Appearance: Dark brown. Little bit of head. Cloudy. Aroma: Vinous, malty. Alcohol?! Fruity. Taste: Vinous, very fruity. Malt. Hops. Warming. Info: 330ml bottle, 28/8-2006, 150/300

xibalba89 (147) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Excellent beer! Can’t really say much more. Had it at Gollum in Amsterdam, just an amazing brew. Near perfection.

ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUN 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2009 Bottle from Shyam. Very unique. Manages to not taste like any other Belgian. Very thick flavor up front like the dark purple artificial grape of snowcones and Otterpops. After that, wood (but not barrel), dark date, raisin, and overripeness. My second bottle - also from Shyam - featured a deep, DEEP soily aroma and flavor - complete ignorance of the fruitiness of the first go-round. Both are thick and dark and could only have been made by devoted individuals.

airforce1 (61) - Atascosa, Texas, USA - JUN 23, 2008
No way.....are you kidding me? I think this beer is OK, but much too sweet, raisins and plums and small sherry notes.....Gimme a bernardus 60th anyday! I’ve had a lot beter beers tha this...