overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3831   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

mazzel1 (1) - Alphen (N.Br.), NETHERLANDS - FEB 2, 2008 does not count
Best I ever tasted. Very hard to get. Soft warm taste. Fantastic flavor. I drink one in "de vrede"near the brewery

bleeng (1681) - Seattle still not near Beersel., Washington, USA - FEB 1, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2008 My third bottle since Iíve brought a few bottles back from Belgium in April 2007. One was with a tasting party and the other was the ínth beer of the night. This is first one Iíve had to "taste". I had the 8 and 6 at De Vrede-those were extremely fresh beers. I think my beers have seen better days. Poured a bit cold-could be an issue. Small flat head and very dark brown-almost opaque. Nose is a bit alcoholly, chocolates, caramel. Thick, syrupy mouth. Alcohol is present but tons of syrup, chocolate, raisins, prune. The flavors stick to the palate as the warmth creates more flavoring. Still, I would believe this is a beer best drank fresh at the brewery (or across the street). The 8 was almost perfect. I didnít have the 12 because I had a case in the trunk of my car. Now I wish I would have had the 12 too....

ciuspan (94) - HillerÝd, DENMARK - JAN 28, 2008
No doubt this is the one. With the soft feeling in the mouth of small boubles and smooth taste this is a fantastic beer.

illidurit (2327) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 26, 2008
A perfect pour into my Westvleteren goblet yields a 2 finger tan head atop a dark brown, murky, mystical body. Quintessential Belgian lacing coats the glass. Several intermingling aromas arise from this beer; yeast, cherry, grape, raisin, fig, cappucino, dark malt, spices, molasses, and so much more. To enumerate every note in this beerís aroma would take the nose of a bloodhound and the vocabulary of a thesaurus. The flavor is just as complex as the smell. Plum, rum, chocolate, fresh bread, grape, pepper, vanilla, again I canít possibly do this justice. Unrivaled. As one would expect this beer has a mouthfeel smoother than velvet. The carbonation is incredibly fine. Supremely drinkable.

BuckeyeSammy (617) - Palo Alto, Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2008
UPDATED: APR 28, 2015 Aroma of prunes, cherries, notes of alcohol. Incredible lacing of the side of the glass at first glance. Cant believe how well balenced.. expected more of a syrupy beer like many other quads.. so smooth. Not overly carbinated. I can taste the alcohol finish on my palate. I loved it, period.-------& - April 2015. Bottle at Beer Temple in Amsterdam. Carmel/cola appearance. Off-white head. Nice lacing, nothing like a stout. Seltzery carbonation dissipates as this one sits - light tingling on the front of my tongue like a champaign bubble. Flavor of banana, raisins, sweet long carmel malt finish. Vanilla cherries in there? So complex. A masterpiece.

GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 25, 2008
10.2 % that is nicely hidden in this perfect beer. There is a reason this beer is rated so high, it is because it is completely perfect. I have drank about 10 bottles in Europe over the past couple of months and I can certainly say, "Iíve drank enough to know."

fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 19, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2010 Re-rate only for editing purposes, awful rate is still the original. 2004 bottle. Deep brown body with a small, light head. My final beer at the end of an intense day, and I wasnít taking notes, but Iíll try to remember my impressions. I do remember what I thought of it in comparison to some other beers that Iíve had, so thatís largely where the rating comes from. My most memorable impression of it is itís light body compared to other beers of the same and similar styles, yet itís ability nonetheless to maintain itís complexity. Definitely some molasses coffee notes, I got some honey notes as well amidst the more typical vinous dark fruit body. Iím not sure if I would say the beer is overrated, if I was just expecting too much, if it was the end-of-day placement, or if my preference for brews not afraid to be bold at every turn results in this below-average rating.

kosko20 (352) - Bemidji, Minnesota, USA - JAN 17, 2008
Completely overrated. Tasted a lot like a port or sweet red wine. Not what I believe a beer should taste like. Maybe I had a bad bottle?

thedrip (10) - Harlowton, Montana, USA - JAN 17, 2008
its perfect. I drank it...and then could not get my head around the flavor ..comparable to Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus abt. but...just so much more complex. There is a ton of flavors..and they BALANCE. it is an awesome beer.

BartC (727) - Lichtaart, BELGIUM - JAN 15, 2008
Dark brown beer. Very small head. Very rich aroma and taste. A lot of dark fruits, caramel, coffee notes, spices and some alcohol at the end. Very long lasting aftertaste. Very complex but o so nicely balanced. My second 20/20!