overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3830   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

MdeHaas (1) - Amerfoort, NETHERLANDS - NOV 16, 2007 does not count
Wonderful beer with great aroma when served at the right temperature. It’s flavors blend into each other smoothly and the nice dry aftertaste stays for a comfortable time. I also like the little kick it gives when swallowing.

CaneCorso (2) - London, Ohio, USA - NOV 15, 2007 does not count
To state that this is one of the greatest beers to be found in the world, is clearly an understatement. The aroma and flavor of Westvleteren Abt. 12 are truly an incredible experience to behold.

JdKrone (15) - West Caldwell, New Jersey, USA - NOV 13, 2007
Clearly one of the best beers in the world. I was fortunate enough to try this at "in de Vrede" the abby in which it is brewed, in Belgium. It came to us in a glass and the appearance was mind blowing. It was fairly dark and super murky and the head was light tan and creamy and THICK, but thin maybe 1 inch. Frothy would not be a word I would use to describe it. It was perfect through nearly every phase. The aroma was clean and clear and I easily detected hints of dried fruits perhaps prunes or raisins and roasted malts. I would have expected the flavor to be more sweet compared to that of the aroma, however the first sip was incredibly smooth and sophisticated with not even a note of extra sweetness. It was perfect I tell you! After 2 of them I must admit I was feeling happy. Has a wonderful mouthfeel perhaps the best, however I can not give it a perfect rating because another Trappist brew I tried, "Orval" wins(according to me) in flavor. Had I not tried Orval, this beer is a 5.0

Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - NOV 11, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2009 #500, and coincidentally, my six month RB anniversary. Cap code 09.05.10. Pours a dark, murky brown body that lets just the slightest bit of light shine through. A large, frothy, cream colored head settles to a thin but dense blanket of foam. Random patches of microfilm lace are strewn about the glass. The nose is intensely aromatic, and almost indescribably inviting. Sweet caramel meets rum soaked figs, prunes, and raisons. Scents of root beer, maple, cocoa, heavy cream, and Tahitian vanilla beans foreshadow the decadent flavors that are surely to follow. The flavor is just downright epic. Its sweet up front, with caramel and maple showing strong. It then transitions seamlessly to the complimentary flavors of figs, raisons, and vanilla. Surprisingly bitter floral hops tickle the roof of the mouth on the back end, providing punch and balance. The body is medium-full, with a smooth, creamy mouthfeel that ends up just a bit too sticky. Sweet and sour dry fruits linger on the palate for ages. This is a truly fantastic beer that lives up to the hype. I couldn’t have chosen a better candidate for #500.

Proteus (98) - FINLAND - NOV 9, 2007
UPDATED: APR 11, 2008 Almost opaque but slightly more dark brown color with a nice beige head. Some fruit in the aroma, could be prunes. The aroma is very clear and raw in a way, yeasty as well. Sweet flavor: raisins, yeast and malts come out to give it a deep touch and the hops give it a nice refreshing feel, a very balanced beer. The sampled beer had been stored for a couple of years and it really was worth it: carbonation at its right level and a deeper tone in the flavor. No alcohol taste only a warm feeling! The taste just explodes in your mouth but doesn’t actually leave a huge aftertaste, although some sweet maltiness is distinguishable on the palate.

CarlatIC (2) - ithaca, New York, USA - NOV 8, 2007 does not count
This is the best fucking beer I have ever had in my life. There are hints of ash and caremel that really bring out the nose and the head of the beer. Fuck, I love drinking this at the bar with my friend

wetherel (1883) - Cupertino, California, USA - NOV 7, 2007
UPDATED: APR 17, 2008 Tried at Pizza Port Carlsbad with Shaun. Bottle from ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad! Side by side comparison with St. Berny 12 and Rochefort 10 (11.3%). Many similarities between the 3. Westy is a little darker than the Berny. Berny has a little more banana aroma. Westy aroma gets nicer as it warms up, revealing more malty aromas. Westy a bit more cloudy. Dark brown color. A little more carbonation in the Berny. Berny had a best by date of May, 3rd, 2012. Westy had no date. I can’t help but think the Westy is young. It almost reminds me of a slightly aged St. Bernardus. This is the second time I’ve had Westy 12. The first was with Jon (WeeHeavySD) at OBrien’s Trappist Ale tasting. I remember the Westy being spectacular, and probably much older...something like 4-6 years old. This time it was just good, much less than my expectations. Must rerate again someday. I still have one in the closet to rate next year. 8,4,9,4,18: 4.3 4/12/08:rerate. bottle from ygtbsm94 with non beer geek friends. Completely awesome. 4:8.

franksnbeans (265) - Columbus, Maryland, USA - NOV 6, 2007
Pours a very dark brown. Big fluffy head that dissipates somewhat quick. Silky white lacing. Looks delicious. Too many smells to distinguish. Fig, caramel, raison, plumb, jam, malt, honey, tea, spices and mild alcohol. Flavors are abundant as well. It tastes of all that the smell indicates and it is an unreal flavor experience. The warming from the alcohol is the only indication that the ABV exists. A spicy semi dry finish. The drinkability is unreal for any beer, especially for this type and abv. Lives up to the hype through and through. A unique experience that should be on every ratebeerian’s list

theisti (4126) - Kansas, USA - NOV 6, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2008 330 ml. bottle purchased on eBay. Date on bottle cap of 09-05-14. Like so many others on the site, this was the one beer I had been most expectant to try. Pour is deep brown, some ruby highlights, though pretty much no light escapes through. Head is a rocky tan - off white 1 1/2 inch head. Very nice to look at in a chalice. Aroma is pretty big, consisting primarily of roasted malt, dried fruit (primarily raisins), and tobacco. Initial taste of raisins, prunes, earthiness that all come at you in layer upon layer of taste. Finish features some yeastiness. Flavor is very long, intense, yet somehow blended and subdued at the same time. I certainly understand the contradiction in the remark, but the flavor really did come big (initially), yet blended and subdued at the same time (as the beer opened up). Hard to explain. Very much coats the mouth. Similar to the Westy Blond, this one needs to be tasted to be understood. Certainly a world class beer and a world class beer tasting experience. Finally, the eBay user I purchased this beer from, I recommend highly. Beer mail me if you would like the recommendation.

Wim (3980) - Weelde, BELGIUM - NOV 5, 2007
dark brown coloured body with a white head a sweet fruity spicy aroma a nice sweet fruity grainy taste and a average sweet bitter finich