overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3408   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

tomciccateri (1035) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - DEC 15, 2007
Undated bottle poured a deep dark brown with no head and oaky aroma. Medium-full body, big malty flavor with a dry, complex flavor balance. Well-carbonated with a late candi sugar character. Complex and nice.

brandonday (1) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 11, 2007 does not count
Beautiful Beer! I just had it for the first time last night and could not have been happier! So many flavors that just come alive as the beer warms up. Highly recommended!

Roffe (10) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - DEC 11, 2007
Westvleteren abd 12 is a legend but it was not was i was witing for, I was abit disappointed: it was very main stream. Nice head offwhite, nice flavor but not that spicey and it didn’t explode in the palate as alot of other nice beers and the flavor didn’t last as long as I hoped it would. Over all a okej beer, but it’s legendery due to how hard it is to contain. Thanks Tomas M. in Gothenburg for the chans to taste the Abd 12.

Aarleks (409) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 11, 2007
Bottle: Almost opaque dark brown wiith a creamy tan head. Cola and spicy sugars in the nose (touch of corn syrup, too). Exquisitely balanced creamy muscovado sugar, dates, smokey toffee, very subtle spices, and a touch of tea. Perfectly crafted, even if the aroma was a little lacking.

nondeduvel (2) - Belgium, BELGIUM - DEC 9, 2007 does not count
I’ve had quite a few different beers already but I’ve waited for the King of Beers to make my first rating on the site. I can just say... stunning beer... a present of mother nature, heaven in you mouth. It’s incredible how you can play with elements of nature to make such a delicious liquid. One thing that suprises me is that it’s not that different from the St-Bernardus Abt 12, which has been my favourite beer until now. I can’t say which of the two is the best... they are both just perfect brews, both better then the Rochefort 10 in my opinion. I’ll have this as much as I can!

drseamus (103) - Troy, New York, USA - DEC 4, 2007
Today is my birthday, and my present to myself is to open a bottle of Westvleteren 12. It’s pretty green though, about 4 months old at this point based on a best buy date of 10/11/09 (converted to american format). I poured a bottle into a chimay glass. It pours a very dark brown. It isn’t black, but light barely penetrates. There is a nice mocha colored head that hangs around for a while and laces nicely down the glass leaving patches of foam on the surface of the beer. The aroma is great. It has a raisin and rich toffee aroma with a malty background. It is very sweet and there is another aroma on top of the raisins I can’t quite place that might be caramelized brown sugar. I have heard so much about this beer that I almost though it would fall short of my expectations. Fortunately, that was not the case. This is a great beer. The first thing that hits me is the insane level of smoothness and creaminess. For a Belgian Quad, it is ridiculous. In no way can I detect any of the 10.2% alcohol in this beer. I don’t consider myself a good enough beer taster to break down all the flavors in this, but I get a pretty strong chocolate flavor and a bit of spiciness as well. The feeling of this beer is great. It has great body, but not as heavy as a stout would be. I would consider it to be medium bodied but the complexity adds so much to the mouthfeel. In case you couldn’t figure it out from the rest of the review, the drinkability is extremely high. I’m gonna have to start calling in all my favors from friends with belgian contacts.

SamGamgee (2585) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - DEC 4, 2007
At Gollem, Amsterdam, 12-2-07. Dark brown, beige head, lace. Looks perfect in its own chalice, very elegant. My first impression of the aroma is lots of yeast; very bready and doughy. Then prunes, dates, and pure malt; not overly sweet, and very intricate. the flavor is bready as well; plenty of spice and dried fruit, but not sugary., and surprisingly not as sweet as the other abts I’ve had. No alcohol flavor. The palate is very smooth and full, almost perfect. Goes down cleanly with a finish that leaves a pleasant but not overly sweet taste in your mouth for quite a while. I knew that they would have this when I was planning my trip to Amsterdam, but I was almost in disbelief until I actually ordered it and forked over the twelve euros. It was served out of the cellar, like the St. Bernardus 12 that I had the nigh before, and that temperature perfectly complimented its flavors. As the last of the top three abts to have rated, in comparison I would say that westy is by far the most drinkable and balanced. I think that Rochefort has more complexities in the aroma, which I really like, but it can be too rich and alcoholic. St Bernardus is about the same in intensity as westy, but lacks the powerful yeastiness and complexity of flavor. Price wise, is it three times better than St Bernardus? No way, and I know I’ll be lucky to get another one any time soon, which I guess is part of the mystique.

davieutah (3) - Ohio, USA - DEC 3, 2007 does not count
Outstanding aroma and presence. Flavor exceeded my expectations. A must for any beer lover looking for the Holy Grail of beers.

ubamartian (155) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 1, 2007
I have taken the pleasure of enjoying the best Trappest in the world. I have had the honor of tasting one of the best beers in the world. Lovely plain bottle, leaving a wealth of anticipation and regal purity in it’s unadorned natural state. Pours a deep dark brown with hints of red peaking through. The beautiful tan head is billowy and thick. The aroma is enticing. Screaming of malts and dark fruits, mostly raisins and prunes. Sweet brown sugar, a hint of yeasty bread round out the aroma. If beer could talk, this would say, "I AM BEER, DRINK ME!" I sit and enjoy the aroma for about a minute, before I cannot stand it any longer and take the first sip. Bliss. Strong dark fruits, sweet brown sugar, roasted malts, oh my! The feeling on the mouth is full, warm, and tantalizing each and every tast bud. When you finally get to the finish, your greeted with a warming from the alcohol, and caressed by the dark fruit. I think the monks that make this are truly blessed.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - NOV 30, 2007
Hazy chocolate brown to reddish chocolate with a thin dense tan head. The nose is sweet round malt to pruney malt. Big ass figs. Some prunes raisins. Subtle brown sugar. Small bit of tuttifruiti to bubble gum. Creamy soft body, full mouth, a bit viscous, but still, remarkably ethereal on the palate. Big strong dark fruits buoyed by a light alcohol and a slight roast. Soft delicate lingering acidity accompanied by a nice alcohol warming. Raisins? Tuttifruiti? A small bit of chocolate that grows stronger with warming. Lingering light alcohol and dark fruit roast. A very lovey beer indeed, thanks for sharing yjb!