overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3470   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.42/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

pa34583 (79) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - MAR 17, 2018
Alles is gezegd over dit bier. Ik kan alleen herhalen dat dit een normbier is voor heel de wereld.

chef paul (31) - - MAR 15, 2018
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2018 ...là trappista per eccellenza: colore bruno tonaca di frate, schiuma fine persistente pannosa, aroma di frutta matura, mandorla, crosta di pane, al palato frutta secca, avvolgente, ricca e variegata, mi loro elegante e nella complessità bilanciata. Capolavoro!

royalbeer (256) - NORWAY - MAR 13, 2018
Et ganske godt øl, passer til det meste av mat. Også behagelig som tørstedrikk. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

greatone (8) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2018 does not count
This is my first beer Rating, yes I'm starting on the top of the Mountain. sticking my nose in the glass, the caramel aroma is so strong I assume sticky candy if I were to get it on my fingers. it's a great smell, not too sweet and pleasant. The color is an inviting dark rich brown. I'm not a fan of The Dark stout's, at least the color anyway. That taste is a medium to heavy, leaning more towards a medium body like Apricot and Raisin like substance. Fruits that are not too sugary. Slides right past the palate with a perfect Carbonation balance. I don't like waiting for beer to "calm down" before I drink it (too much carbonation). The alcohol content being 10.2% which is higher than I'm used to in America, but not taking over the purpose of drinking the beer. When I'm done drinking one, I want another, not for the boozy feel; rather, the gentle after taste which leaves me craving more.

CraftHowl (586) - Bridgwater, Somerset, ENGLAND - MAR 11, 2018
Bottle. Pours dark brown with an off white head. Aroma: sweet, malty, nutty. Taste: Moderate sweet, malty, vinous, nutty, candy sugars, notes of dates, raisins, raspberries & dark cherries. Medium bodied, soft carb, sweet malty finish. Overated on here imvho but everyone has an opinion

teddybeer (4574) - Madrid, SPAIN - MAR 11, 2018
Tasted at the same time than SB12 and R10
Brown color with a minimal beige head that quickliy diminishes. Aroma with notes od caramel, toasted sugar, spiced and dry fruits with hints of Belgian yeast. Alcohol is perfectly hidden by caramelish, nuts, toasted almonds and wooden notes. Flavor is slightly sweet, spiced, notes of toasted caramel, nuts and ripe fruit. Smoothy and dense on palate with notes of ripe fruit, mainly raisins; some caraml and dry fruits, mainly almonds; sweetness and alcohol perfectly hidden by caramelish notes. Hints of wood, perhaps oak. A beer that comply with all expectations that was already before. perfectly compensated in spite of its ABV. Easy drinkable.

loscovar (1141) - Principality of SEALAND, - MAR 9, 2018
Comparative blind tasting with Rochefort 10 and San Bernardus 12. I was pretty sure it was better than the others just by marketing. I had my doubts at fist, trying all of them at the same time, but I quickly realized that this was the one. After a while it's so obvious, it as much more aroma, much more complexity and aftertaste. Complex mix of dried fruits, yeast, booze, like the others, but so much better, in a subtle way. Genius and refined. Excellent. Best in the world? Maybe not, but certainly the most refined and subtle.

mklm (2) - - MAR 9, 2018 does not count
Har smagt øllen af flere omgange - det er det bedste jeg nogensinde har smagt!!

MaltoseChalice13 (40) - Somerset, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 7, 2018
Typically not a fan of Belgian beers but this one really stands out. Pours brown/caramel with aromas of dark fruit, belgian yeast, toffee and caramel. The flavor is amazing on this beer. Everything in the aroma pops in the flavor. Love the dark fruits, caramel and toffee. Easily the best of this style that I've ever had.

julesxxl (848) - FRANCE - MAR 7, 2018
(> dark, mousse & nez levure impec, mélasse, datte, noix, pleine, méli-mélo amer-doux parfait, > levure, force sobre)