overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3830   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - MAY 31, 2006
Ah, the famed Westy 12! Through some great trading, a friend of mine was able to score the Grail. Nice port wine aroma, very fruity. Lots of dry fruit flavors, mildly spiced, some candi sugar. ABV is well hidden except for the nice warming feeling, very smooth. This truly is a great beer.

tenghave (404) - Taastrup, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2006
Øl fået til Ølentusiasternes festival 2006. Bedømmelsen kan derfor være skæv pga. mængden. Suverænt den bedste øl. Orange og ufiltreret. Kompleks duft. Meget rund i smagen.

ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - MAY 27, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2010 Infinite gratitude to Jeffin7 for this 3 year old sample. That kid didn’t miss school the day that they taught sharing. Murky, brown pour with a medium sized, tan head. The aroma is very rich with lots of ripe fruit, apple pie, plums, pears, candi sugar. The flavor is well blended and superbly complex, toffee, pears, golden raisins, candi sugar, very rich. The mouthfeel is very soft, smooth and lucious.

stefaan (3) - Edegem, BELGIUM - MAY 24, 2006 does not count
This beer Leaves a nice lacing that goes away quickly. It’s one of the finnest beer in Belgium

glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 23, 2006
A big thank you to bentley78 for this! I have to say my expectations are ridiculously high for this beer. Very nice cloudy brown with a big fluffy off white head. Aroma of dark fruit and light alcohol. Leaves a nice lacing that goes away quickly. And I have to say the taste lives up to expectations! This has an amazing sweetness to it... "It, it tastes so good when it hit your lips!!" The alcohol is very well hidden. Slightly yeasty finish. Even my burps taste good after this. I hope to make it back to Belgium some day so I can have a bottle at the source....

hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - MAY 23, 2006
UPDATED: APR 21, 2007 bottle. Very dark brown with some ruby highlights. Split three ways. Aroma: Vinous, dark fruits, plums, raisin, very slight but good alcohol, some vanilla, apple. Taste is around the same, fruity especially dark fruits, toffee, caramel, apple, balanced by peppery, spicy, tartness, and dark fruit. Suprisingly dry finish. Amazing.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Really. What can I say that hasn’t already been said in one of the other 740 reviews? Is this a great beer? Yes. The best in the world? I can see (er, taste) that. A silky smooth beer that, despite its alcoholic depth, is more than drinkable. I was expecting large hits of sweetness countered by larger doses of peppery burn. I got neither. It is a well-played balance of power between the two. And neither struggles to dominate. I suppose we could argue as to what makes the best beer in the world. But why? It might be something that hasn’t been drunk yet. So let’s get working on that.

CMUBEERMAN (442) - - MAY 21, 2006
Finally got my hands on 7 bottles. Opened one and shared it with my brother for college graduation. Pours a hazy dark chestnut red...if you hold it to the light you see some nice greens. Big old belgian cream colored head with tons of lacing. Aroma is very remiscent of St Bernard 12, except maybe a bit more balance. Tons of dried plum and raisin...spice...vegetables...yeast...bread. Flavor was incredibly balanced. I’m not going to trash it because it didn’t quite live up to the best beer in the world, but I will say that out of all the trappist and BSAs I’ve had, this one has got to be the biggest crowd pleaser. Tons of rich dried fruit and candy sweetness to make it thoroughly enjoyable, enough belgian yeast to remind you that the brew you are drinking comes from a long line of tradition, and enough complex spice, bitterness, and veggie flavors to keep you thirsting for one more sip. Mouthfeel is very smooth and similar to roch 10. Now I can’t say that it is worth all the trouble to acquire this beer over roch 10, bernard 12, or some of my other belgian friend, but if this were readily available...even at a similar price of $13+...I would no doubt stock up. Truly a great beer and I feel privileged to have enjoyed it...and this is not something I would say about many beers.

anders37 (26605) - Malmö, SWEDEN - MAY 17, 2006
Rating # 600; Pours a dark amber colour with a medium thick off-white head. Sweet fruity aroma with lots of raisin and dark fruits. Some spicy hints. Fruity flavor with some honey and raisin. Sweet malty and fruity aftertaste with some bitterness and warming from the alcohol. An excellent beer.

Quinten (1062) - zaandam, NETHERLANDS - MAY 16, 2006
Dark color, full head, got 2 bottles with tanx to peter klein!!!........... I’m one of the less who had realy had the REEL good luck to rate thise beer. there are more ratings than the production numbers that time. fortunely good one had it on 5 different celsius and no further words.