overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3830   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 14, 2001
It is almost sacrilegious to call this beer. It transcends the category, with its deliciously enticing fruity-wine aroma and magnificent, malty raspberry/plum taste. Strong yet delicate, imagine biting into a perfectly ripe pear to get an idea of the texture and heartiness exhibited by ’12’. With such a high alcohol content, one would expect an overwhelming alcohol flavor, but it was masked as well as any ’beer’ I’ve had. With its rich, delectable taste, beautiful dark color, frothy head, and luscious aroma, this IS the perfect ’beer.’ An orgiastic feast for the senses.

JoeKnox (100) - Georgia, USA - MAY 18, 2001
A friend imported it for me and I owe him big:) VERY GOOD STUFF>:)

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 13, 2001
My personal choice for best beer in the world. Hugely flavorful, particularly a nutty, malty, burnt fruit flavor that is married perfectly to a soft but full body. The taste lingers in your mouth for a many minutes after you take a sip. Elegant, sophisticated, powerful, and down-right awesome. The true king of beers.

Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2001
This is it. Beer in heaven or any after life shuld taste liker this. It is everything I want from a glass. The texture is as unique as the flavor. Pay whatever, but drink one, you cannot be sorry. You can get one at The Map Room in Chicago, too.

volswagn99 (3) - Holbrook, New York, USA - APR 14, 2001 does not count
The best beer ever. All others can only look up at this one. Do I need to say anything else?

hbertram99 (10) - DENMARK - APR 9, 2001

PhillyBeer2112 (2815) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - MAR 25, 2001
Usually I prefer the smaller beers from within each Trappist brewery. Not in this case - the 12 has everything the 8 has and more. The alcohol presence is very welcome here, and carries the complex malt profile (dark fruit, spicy yeast flavors, a little tanginess) into the palate. Nearly identical in appearance to the 8. Deeply satisfying.

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 27, 2001
What can I say, the absolute best Trappist product I’ve tried, and I’ve tried six so far. This beer is incredible, only wish I could have more. Unfortunately, cost too much to consume in large quantities. I feel I can still taste this beer. I recommend it to anyone who can get ahold of one.

Oakes (17274) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 21, 2000
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 Chestnut brown. Aroma shows alcohol, wood, hint of smoke. Flavour notes highlight raisin bread, allspice, deep fruitiness (apricot), demerara. Long, sweet, silky malts in the finish, with dates and light bready notes. Ultra smooth.

Bov (12636) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - SEP 6, 2000
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2004 2001 vintage, sampled 03/2004 - dark brown colour with a fine head, very complex aroma: bread, raisins and black chocolate, impressive malty palate, deep balance between sweetness and bitterness, slightly oily, the finish is moderately dry showing candy sugar, plums, gingerbread and a long warming alcohol touch - my deep consideration goes to the monks who are brewing this wonder and who make me think for a moment that I'm living in paradise