overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3384   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

parkerman (13) - New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA - APR 28, 2002
Impressive beer. There is no overpowering component of it's flavor. This beer has it all-I think the keyword is balance-a near perfect blend of hops, aroma, thick malty taste, and unique sugars.

thealcoholic (104) - Hilbert, Wisconsin, USA - APR 27, 2002
this is a good beer..............................................

Dogbrick (13547) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2002
I didn't know what to expect with this brew after receiving it (thanks austinpowers!) and reading 85+ ratings on it. I think it was a little too cold when I tried it, as the taste got noticeably better as I moved through the glass. Now about the taste, I honestly don't think my palate is refined enough to describe accurately what is going on here. This will be one I have to try again around beer #250 I think. There is a trail mix aroma, and the flavor is hard to pin down. If they captured this flavor in a cereal I would get up earlier every day, hints of berries, grain, nuts, chocolate. Like Willy Wonka invented it, I tasted something different with every sip. I think this would be a perfect drink with some Godiva chocolate covered strawberries. Superb

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2002
This is what I chose to be my 100th beer. I tried not to set my standards too high b/c of all the hype - but it was difficult. I can honestly say this beer left me speechless. I didn't know what to think after my first taste - there is just so much giong on with this beer - many many complexities in the taste. This isn't a beer that I could drink all the time, but it certainly is something you should try. Thanks to austinpowers for sending this one my way.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - APR 19, 2002
I had to re-rate this after having my second one. I had trouble rating it the first time because of all the hype, which seemed to be clouding my judgement. But the second time I could just drink it and enjoy. I rated it 4.7 the first time, and now I give it a 4.9. I just can't bring myself to rate a beer a perfect 5, because then I would know that it's all downhill from there! But this is as close as I've ever gotten to perfect, it is delicious, it leaves me wanting more, and if it is all I ever had to drink for the rest of my life I would be happy.

JPDIPSO (6262) - Wauwatosa, USA - APR 19, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2003 Rerate Dark mohagany color with a tall near rocky light tan head. Spice and fruit flavors. The fruit flavors vary from cherries, to berries, to peaches, to date and figs. Smooth and soft feel. Malt and toasted bread and peat flavors intertwine. No alcohol noted an amasing feat considering its heft. Original and lame rating: the numbers do not change, but a bit more descriptive. Apr 19, '02 - Sweet and toffee. A great dessert beer.

ravidesai (978) - Bombay, INDIA - APR 18, 2002
burgundy brown colour, complex fruit and malt aroma that hints at rasberries, roasted nuts, toffee among others very malty taste withcountless nuances that deepens as the beer warms to room temperature(use a chalice). the alcohol is well hidden I have seen bottles available at 2 places in pittsburgh - the sharp edge & Ds.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - APR 13, 2002
I got this and a Rochefort 10 as a late Christmas gift with my brother in exchange for some Macanudo Hampton Court stogies. What a trade! Okay, onto the description of 'the beer'. First off, it didn't have nearly as much head as in the picture. The coloration was a cloudy reddish-brown with maybe vague hints of green (jeez, look at me, I'm describing 'hints' in the freaking color). Much like Rochefort 10, I wasn't sure what to think of it when I had my first sip; I was trying to balance the psychology of drinking something so hyped by this web site and so looked forward to with the general experience of a great beer. The smell was very nice, fruity, chocolate, sweet. The flavor is quite complex, with the most distinctive taste being chocolate. I loved this stuff! Malty finish, kind of stays on your tongue for a little while. Well balanced, just plain great.

muzzlehatch (4970) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - APR 12, 2002
Looks and smells very burgundy-like: deep red/purple, and deep grapiness in the nose, along with many of the elements one finds in the '8': dried fruits, bananas, a hint of candy. Flavor competes well with, even surpasses the '8': incredibly rich and smooth, chocolaty and plummy, caramel and bananas, so much going on that its useless to try to get it all on the basis of one bottle. Mouthfeel is, along with Rauchbier Urbock, the best in the world; if the nose were just a tiny bit more 'potent' this could be my new favorite; as it is, will have to settle for 'top 5.' This is the last of the beers I'm sampling from my first Belgianshop order, and I must tell everyone who lives in out-of-the-way places like I do that they are well worth it! This worked out to about $6.50 a bottle and I'd pay double that if I had to. Incredible.

William (202) - Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - APR 11, 2002
The only beer I have had so far which does not have a label on the bottle. Curious. The beer has a dark, ruby color. Amazingly complex palate - caramel, malty, nutty, raisin-like taste. I did not notice the 11% alcohol. It has a very full creamy body. The aftertaste is the best beer experience I have ever had, it stays and gives your tongue and cheeks a heavenly massage. I don't believe there can be a beer that is better than this.