overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3415   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

RAUCHFEST (122) - PROSPECT PARK, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2002
similar to a barleywine style great aged or fresh the murkyness people seem to notice is actually a chillhaze from the huge amounts of malt used to make such a beer this is not a defect as many of your wit and wheat beers have this.this is a beer i prefer to buy ahead of the time that i like to let it sit a week or two before drinking so the sediment can settle and after about 6 months the chill haze will drop but this means storing the beer as close to 32degrees f as possible dont be afraid to waste a little beer at the bottom as this will contain the yeast sediment and proteins. this stuff is about 4 or 5$ in belgium.

Kodos (205) - USA - JUN 30, 2002
Every sip of this BSA is a pleasure. Large long head, nutty/fruity nose. Lots of fruit and nuts...caramel? in the taste. Long finish that lingers. I cannot imagine something coming along to knock this out of No. 1

Indra (2710) - Suburbia, Kansas, USA - JUN 28, 2002
The head forms a loose ring around the edge of the glass. Slightly uneven, but fine-bubbled and more effervescent in this bright light than I would have imagined. Color is rusty, brownish-red color, partially translucent but hazy (bottle swirled). The incredibly complex aroma sets the stage perfectly for this beer. A multitude of different breads, sweetness, alcohol, date, plum, wine, yeast and many more things are here. The flavor is one of the most intriguing I've yet found. It goes through so much development, so many stages... The array of tastes as time goes by with each sip is truly wondrous. Malt is obviously in control here, lending a variety of fruit and other flavors that progresses into something new as the aftertaste comes about and as the beer warms. Complex, to say the least. The finish is equally intriguing, warming, and satisfying. Maybe the longest finish from any beer I've tried to date. One of my friends described it as 'the Earth in a glass.'
The changes this beer undergoes are amazing. Writing about it does it no justice at all, it must be tried. Find it.

Hildigöltur (5103) - København, DENMARK - JUN 26, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2004 Both the aroma and the taste develop in a fantastic way. Every sip is different from the sip before and new taste and aroma notes arise constantly. The palate is extremely satisfying and pleasant. This is smooth and very tasty.

MuddyFox99 (16) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - JUN 25, 2002
the power of the alcohol almost overdoes it.....almost. has a vintage port quality to it. perhaps cellaring could be an option? creamy head, complexity is too great to explain. A true belgian strong ale, but I would have to say the chimay bleu is still my favourite. thanks to tom jones for the opportunity to taste one of the world's finest

Davhgbrew (948) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 24, 2002
Dark reddish, frothy brown head, and a fruity aroma which is hard to pin down. Palate is smooth and creamy, and each sip is different from the last. Has an alcohol aftertaste which is by no means overwhelming. Defintitely a great beer, but I probably wouldn't drop 10 bucks on another bottle. Re-Rate6/24/02 Well, I dropped another 10 bucks on a bottle, and I am glad I did. My impression is almost exactly the same as it was last time, except I think I appreciate it a little more now. The aroma is the best I've ever smelled, and its appearance is so elegant. It is definitely one of the most interesting and complex brews out there. Very creamy, thick texture, with a slight bitter, alcohol finish that has great length. A top notch beer, but still not a top ten for me.

MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JUN 21, 2002
Well, hard to believe I have the opportunity to rate what is arguably the finest beer in the world. Again, thanks to austinpowers. Same beautiful color as the Westy 8. Quite a bit sweeter than the 8. I taste raisins and figs. It does have a cognac quality to it making it a beer I can sip and savor although I have a hard time sipping and savoring anything. An exceptionally high quality beer although my personal preference would have to be the 8.

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 20, 2002
Sampled at the greatest bar in the whole world, Le Bier Circus in Brussles. I've seen the Notre Dame in Paris, David in Florence, and the Roman Ruins but nothing convinces me more of the power of man to create art more than this beer. The flavors of rum raisin, plums, figs, chocolate, banana, and many more than I could possibly identify wash over you while the smoothnes of the beer calms your soul. Perfect!

Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 19, 2002
This is amazing. Rich, complex, full-bodied, all in all one of the greatest achievements of European civilization. There's a wonderful sort of vinous flavor, not unlike port, but better.

Fulcrum (3) - Sacramento, California, USA - JUN 19, 2002 does not count
One of the best beers of my life. Although I originally had this at the little cafe across from the Abbey, I most recently tried this beer two weeks ago in a bar in Brussels. The bartender treated it as a religous thing, honoring me by letting me have a beer, not letting me pay for it (said he would not put it on the menu) and told me that people were not supposed to sell it by decree by the monks. I do love this beer, although I have had bottles from 3 different times and one of them the beer was horrible. I have been told it is best to age it three years, (by this bartender) and I have to admit this bottle was better then I remember from the abbey. It still has just a hint of an alchoholic aftertaste so I can not give it a 5 on palate. However, I would reccommend getting this if you have the chance. Most people are not aware of this, but those of you who are desperate for a taste of what is proably the consistenly one of the best beers in the world, you can order it (highly inflated price though) at www.belgianshop.com.