overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3441   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 6, 2002
My favorite Belgian strong ale,satisfying to the point that you feel the guilt when you do finally take it out of the fridge and open it...then again some of life's greatest pleasures are guilty ones.

DougShoemaker (3146) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 4, 2002
Raisins, plums, figs what an aroma! Apricot colour, some floaties, almost no head. Creamy caramel taste, also plums, figs, port. Complexity out the ying yang. Ambrosia!

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2010 Rerate 6/10: Really unimpressive. Last bottle from a sixer of the 2006 vintage consumed between mid-2007 and mid-2010. I recall the 2001 bottling being much better, but I may have been a callow taster then, unfit to criticize such a highly rated ale. This bottle has some fruitiness in the nose, with some grains, with a mild sourness. The body is fairly thin, with a sweet and sour grainy flavor. It lacks the rich chocolate and notable spice that the earlier bottling featured (although that may have been my imagination, given the super high rating on this site). It is, in fact, rather watery with a distinct alcohol note, with light amounts of chocolate; hardly inspiring. The earlier five bottles from this vintage were similarly unimpressive. I don’t really even want to finish this, but it was very expensive so I’ll try. There’s a lot of black crap sitting at the bottom of my snifter, which makes this even less appealing.

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAY 4, 2002
#500-Deep muddy brown color; Head was frothy pale tan; Aroma was full of surprises including Worschestire sauce and plums. Smooth on the tongue with a shocking hint of licorice at the first sip- I HATE licorice. The alocohol is only moderately present, but not hidden. Some chocolate. I am surprised by the thinness of the 1st few sips- this was one of the categories in which it did not get a full mark from me. Baileys? I appreciate the alcohol coming through at the 1/2 mark: a beer like this should show its strength at some point and it it shines through nicely. The licorice is mercifully gone. The bottle was for sure too small. After drinking this beer, I really wanted to re-evaluate my highest rankings and I have to say that for the most part, I have no problem with all of the rankings that I have given my top 15 or so. Is Chimay Blue really better then this beer? At this point I would say yes, because I have had samples that were truly remarkable. Likewise, the Fullers 1999- a truly orgasmic experience for me. The Westy 12 is a wonderful beer and I hope and pray that I might get another chance to sample it.

Orion99 (1) - BELGIUM - MAY 1, 2002 does not count
This 'Trappist' makes me very proud to be Belgian !! Belgian Beers Rule ! Peter

GeorgeMcFly99 (4) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 28, 2002 does not count
Heavens to Betsy! This one's outta-this-world..............................

parkerman (13) - New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA - APR 28, 2002
Impressive beer. There is no overpowering component of it's flavor. This beer has it all-I think the keyword is balance-a near perfect blend of hops, aroma, thick malty taste, and unique sugars.

thealcoholic (104) - Hilbert, Wisconsin, USA - APR 27, 2002
this is a good beer..............................................

Dogbrick (14391) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2002
I didn't know what to expect with this brew after receiving it (thanks austinpowers!) and reading 85+ ratings on it. I think it was a little too cold when I tried it, as the taste got noticeably better as I moved through the glass. Now about the taste, I honestly don't think my palate is refined enough to describe accurately what is going on here. This will be one I have to try again around beer #250 I think. There is a trail mix aroma, and the flavor is hard to pin down. If they captured this flavor in a cereal I would get up earlier every day, hints of berries, grain, nuts, chocolate. Like Willy Wonka invented it, I tasted something different with every sip. I think this would be a perfect drink with some Godiva chocolate covered strawberries. Superb

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2002
This is what I chose to be my 100th beer. I tried not to set my standards too high b/c of all the hype - but it was difficult. I can honestly say this beer left me speechless. I didn't know what to think after my first taste - there is just so much giong on with this beer - many many complexities in the taste. This isn't a beer that I could drink all the time, but it certainly is something you should try. Thanks to austinpowers for sending this one my way.