overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3830   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

murzyn (244) - Sosnowiec, POLAND - APR 17, 2017
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2017 Barwa prawie czarna, piana duża i szybko opada. W pifku jakieś farfocle pływają. W aromacie szaleństwo. Daktyle, toffi, ciemne owoce, winogrona i taki dostojny alkohol. W smaku jeszcze lepiej. Są daktyle, rodzynki, jabłka, figi, śliwki, spalony karmel. Mega złożone i świetnie zbalansowane. Alko niewyczuwalne w smaku ale fajnie grzeje w przełyk. Goryczka niska. Coś cudownego.

hessified (3) - ENGLAND - APR 16, 2017 does not count
In the gardens of the westvleteren Abbey prepared to he disappointed by this massively hyped beer a glass of this brown beer was placed in front of me. What followed was one of the best drinks I have had in my life. The smell, the taste the palet all combined to make my dive back for my next sip. Well worth the visit out and lived up to its hype

Manslow (1629) - Warsaw, POLAND - APR 15, 2017
Spożyte przed zapisywaniem ocen na ratebeer, ale takiego sztosa postanowiłem uwiecznić chociaż takim wpisem, doskonałe piwo.

u3pyg (39) - BULGARIA - APR 11, 2017
Aroma of dried fruits and malt. Tastes great, but it is a little too much carbonated. Awesome beer!

AZBierLover (1) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - APR 10, 2017 does not count
I had the pleasure of enjoying this wonderful bier at a restaurant on the Leie in Ghent. It was far better then the food and was easily the high point of our trip to the city. It was so good I had a second for desert. I would have enjoyed a third if I hadn’t been with friends that wanted to get going. Later I had the opportunity to enjoy the others they produce but they were very good but not this good. A year later my friend in Antwerpen sent me 6 bottles. 2 of each of their production and I was thrilled to no end. After 100’s of beers, this is still one of my favorites. I’m looking forward to searching some more out on my visit next month. I might even take a trip to the abbey if possible.

Bawelt (874) - Lyon, FRANCE - APR 10, 2017
Nez : relativement classique et plutôt fin, quelques notes de levures derrière le caramel, les épices. Bouche très douce, ultra équilibrée... mais rien de grandiose non plus. C’est évidemment très bon. Mais on reste sur une bière d’école maîtrisée. Aucune surprise, pas de complexité aromatique transcendante ou de caractère noble ou ultra travaillé... J’en regoûterai une vieillie.

CaskSensei25 (33) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - APR 8, 2017
Bottle. Pours very dark with a thick, stable light-beige top. Aroma is splendid! It feels like it almost fills up my entire room with christmas spices, nuts, honey, chocolate, rasins, dried fruits and yeast. Aroma has also a hint of freshly baked dark bread in it. Taste is vey complex, the first sip felt really intense with yeast, alchol, bread, caramel and malt. Then the taste starts to build and change and turns into an explosion if different ejoyable tastes - honey, roasted bread, honey, beeswax, pepper, cardamum... It is hard to describe, one just has to taste it. It feels really smooth and velvety actually. It is funny as I felt alcohol in the first sip but later the taste of alcohol is almost completely gone - it is really well masked, it feels almost like a light beer. Aftertaste has almost everything nice in it, also a hint of hoppy bitterness. And I can feel very nice alcoholic warmth in the back of my throat and in my stomach. It became instanttaneously my favourite beer.

fugitive (1993) - Athens, GREECE - APR 6, 2017
Bottle. Color brown with medium head. Aroma fruits, caramel, mallt, alcohol, spicy. Taste sweet, fruits, malt, caramel, spicy.

alvaro78 (477) - Sevilla, SPAIN - APR 4, 2017
Aromas complejos a caramelo, frutos secos y malta. Buen aspecto, buena retencion de espuma. En boca compleja, cuerlo pleno, frutos secos, caramelo, compleja y final dulce

rob19a (325) - - APR 3, 2017
19/20 yeah it actually lives up to the hype: absolutely huge taste with loads of complexity. All the dried fruits like in a Rochefort 10 but it's smoother, has more depth and moreish. Hides its 10% abv. Quite superb. Pours like a coke with huge carbonation which settles quite quickly. Lots of bubbles to taste. I want more ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone